Who would we rather have at the helm next? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Who would we rather have at the helm next?

Next HC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah for the folks trying to hold on to the past and think things are going to somehow start pointing upward as JB approaches 80. If the pain is coming during the transition regardless than give it to us now. I'd rather go .400 and miss the tourney this year and be on the upswing by '24 then go .500 for 2 more years of JB then .400 for 2 years of transition and then things on the right track in '26. Rip the damn band-aid off.

The point is that we can avoid two bad transition years by approaching this sensibly instead of being reactionary.

We just had a losing season. What should I be careful wishing about?

A new coach who, if history is an indicator, will be worse than the one we’re replacing.

There's an awful lot of coaches that have been better than JB since 2016.

A handful, sure. Again, it’s not as though the game has passed him by; sports don’t work like that. Recruiting dipped. We lost because we didn’t have the horses. This team is young, so there will be hiccups, but it has the most encouraging level of size and talent we’ve had in a while.

I’d prefer not to waste this talent.

The farthest back we could point to as the beginning of the slide is the 2016-17 season. Prior to that, there were some below average seasons sprinkled in but nothing out of the ordinary for the history of the program.

After that bad 2017 season with 19 wins and an NIT birth, we had two 20+ win seasons and a S16. No program would fire a coach in that scenario. So that brings us to the 2020 season as the mark of the first time a reasonable fan could argue JB could/should be fired. Well, you gotta finish that season before you decide that, so now we’re at the off-season before the 2020-21 season. That’s two seasons ago. And that’s when I could entertain the argument for terminating his contract. Any time before that would have been early. He’s “overdue” by 2 seasons at most.

To my point about firing him “early,” I’m referring to the likely timeline of his retirement in a couple seasons. It’s “early” relative to that. There isn’t a coach we can bring in last minute who will win us more games the next couple seasons than JB. Which, importantly, does not mean there aren’t coaches available who are better coaches and recruiters than JB.
2020 team stunk(gotta finish what exactly? The NIT tourney?). 2022 team stunk worse.

2021 team was good but underachieved.

Hopefully we can surprise this year.

If you were to force JB out, the moment occurred when SU landed on probation
a second time, putting him on a list of maybe one who has gotten caught for
NCAA violations at the same school twice. At the time, it was enough, and
maybe the NCAA looks at that and doesn't give the penalties they did. But,
they are the NCAA, so who knows. You avoid a bunch of things, good and bad.

The time to have said goodbye was the end of last season, and Wildhack
should've come to an 'agreement' which took effect the moment Richmond and
Guerrier were eased out, and he focused on running a team based on his two
kids. You weaken the program so you can coach your kids, ok, but unless you
hit THIS_MILESTONE, when they're done, you are done.

Now you're in this sort of cycle, where he wants to coach until it's left in
a "good enough point" to leave for the next coach, but who decides it's good
enough? You could string that out forever if you wanted to. Or, you get
into a position where the program is in great shape, but is so good you
can talk yourself into it being strong enough that you can win a title, so
you stay. And if you miss, well, you were close, and maybe with a one more
piece ...

No. Cut the cord, bid adieu, thank you for your great time on the Hill, have
awards/ceremonies etc, and move on with the next guy.

So that brings us to the 2020 season as the mark of the first time a reasonable fan could argue JB could/should be fired. Well, you gotta finish that season before you decide that.
Any season where the only way we can make the NCAA tourney is by winning the ACC Tournament (e.g 2020) is a failure and beneath our standards.

Any season where the only way we can make the NCAA tourney is by winning the ACC Tournament (e.g 2020) is a failure and beneath our standards.

Correct, which is why I called it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online