Will Judah run it back again? (again) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Will Judah run it back again? (again)

This also has me torn as well. Judah definitely should be our best player, and it shouldn't even be close, but unfortunately, I would also like to see what the "team" could potentially be without him.

Whenever I watch him play, his individual talent obviously jumps out, but as a team, I don't think he makes us better. There have been games where he single handedly won for us, but also times where his iso stuff has cost us. I also feel there is some coaching stuff going on there. Has Red told him, he needs to dominate the ball(only the team knows that one).

He very much reminds me of Russell Westbrook(obviously, Russ is a different level of athlete). Super talented, but was never able to really make the players around him all that much better.

LIke I said...torn. One of the best players we've had in a long time, but curious to see the team without him.

Will Judah run it back again? (again)​

don't see it happening.

We had John Wallace carry that team.
Had him the year before, too. And that team lost the real last game at Manley Field House. That team doesn’t get to the final four with Lloyd.

LOL I didn't realize the G Washington game was so important. Lloyd wasn't in the top 2 players on that 1995 team. Mintz is one of the 2 top players on this team. And this team is void of talent. We do not know what we can get in the portal. To think that we would be better without a good player is silly to me. We need all the good ones we can get at this point.

Last edited:
Mintz is a good player born in the wrong era

Any team he'd want to transfer is not going to want an offense built around a small guy without a jumper drawing fouls. He's not the kind of guy to goes somewhere and just fits into the limited time they want for him

I hope he changes back I guess because I don't expect to be one of those good teams who doesn't need his talents. He also seems like a good kid and teammate

Mintz is a good player born in the wrong era

Any team he'd want to transfer is not going to want an offense built around a small guy without a jumper drawing fouls. He's not the kind of guy to goes somewhere and just fits into the limited time they want for him

I hope he changes back I guess because I don't expect to be one of those good teams who doesn't need his talents. He also seems like a good kid and teammate
I would like to see what he can do with forwards that can actually play at this level. Now, his first instinct is to go to the hoop. But he has started passing a bit better.

This is implying that the 95-96 team would have been worse with Lloyd (which probably isn’t true)??
IMO the chemistry of that 1996 team was perfect with Z running the show (as evidenced by us being 9 points from a title). It needed a completely selfless point guard to facilitate and allow Wallace, Hill and Burgan to be the focus of the offense. A ball-dominant PG like Lloyd could have easily disrupted that. Similar to how we were probably better off in 2010 without Jonny Flynn.

I would like to see what he can do with forwards that can actually play at this level. Now, his first instinct is to go to the hoop. But he has started passing a bit better.
Maybe. He doesn’t usually pass to teammates on 2-0 or 3-1 breaks. I get he’s talented, but he’s not the type of lead guard I’d prefer when building a team. I’d rather have a ringer shooter and someone who isn’t a ball stopper.

Judah is obviously very talented and I hope he returns next year. What frustrates me about his style of play is that it doesn't feel like it elevates others around him, which is a fundamental responsibility of being a point guard. In games where we get murdered (i.e. every loss), Judah often ends up getting his stats, 18 points, a couple of rebounds and a couple of assists, and it's easy to look at that and say "well everyone sucked except Judah." Q on the other hand, when he gets going, there is a palpable feeling to me that he is raising the energy and play of his teammates collectively.

Part of this is on Red. I don't know why so much of our offense is predicated around Judah zig-zagging around like he's on ice skates doing 27 pump fakes hoping to draw a foul while everyone stands around watching.

Melo won his championship because he had his friend Billy running the point, which allowed Gerry to be the off guard, his best position.
When needed Billy could score, but his main job was control the pace, and get players the ball in position to score.

IMO the chemistry of that 1996 team was perfect with Z running the show (as evidenced by us being 9 points from a title). It needed a completely selfless point guard to facilitate and allow Wallace, Hill and Burgan to be the focus of the offense. A ball-dominant PG like Lloyd could have easily disrupted that. Similar to how we were probably better off in 2010 without Jonny Flynn.

Flynn might’ve hurt the team on defense but that offense might’ve been even more lethal. Flynn liked the ball but was a very willing (and creative) passer. That 2010 team is my favorite, so I wouldn’t volunteer to change anything about it. That also doesn’t mean I think they’d be worse with an NBA PG only 3 or 4 guys in the NCAA could stay in front of.

Who knows where that team would’ve ended up, but in a hypothetical where we play Butler with Flynn, I don’t see him not cooking them.

My memories of the ‘96 team are murky, at best, so you’re probably right a about them.

Okay, by this logic, we were better off in 1975 without Dennis Duval at the pt and with Jimmy Williams instead. I mean we were one and done in '74 and went to the final 4 in '75 for you guys that weren't around then. Or let's look back to '96. I guess we were also better off getting Moten off the team. I mean, we can go around and around like that all day. We need talent. And Mintz is talented. Does he need to distribute more? Yes. But he also has to look at this team and think, besides Brown and now JJ, who do you want me to pass it to? Get some more talent and let's see what he and we can do with it.

I agree with all points. He has flashy moves but as you posted, the inefficient scoring
Hang on, hang on - the dude taking and making free throws at a record pace for our program is an inefficient scorer? The guy that scores a lot of his points in the most efficient way possible? That guy?
Cope, because he is looking to make the best play, not look good.
Hang on, hang on - the Philly kid that has by far the most swagger and style to his game that our program has enjoyed in forever, that guy doesn't care about looking good? Really? That guy doesn't care?

This thread got some TAKES y'all.

Lloyd might have taken the '95 team to the FF if Moten didn't pull a boner.

Hang on, hang on - the dude taking and making free throws at a record pace for our program is an inefficient scorer? The guy that scores a lot of his points in the most efficient way possible? That guy?

In our 21 games this year, Judah has only shot above 50% from the field 4 times. He’s had a handful off games right at 50%. When he has shooting nights below 50% and low assist numbers, those are inefficient games, I don’t care how many free throws you make.

Hang on, hang on - the Philly kid that has by far the most swagger and style to his game that our program has enjoyed in forever, that guy doesn't care about looking good? Really? That guy doesn't care?

It’s really something. I also learned Judah is not the best player on the team.

In our 21 games this year, Judah has only shot above 50% from the field 4 times. He’s had a handful off games right at 50%. When he has shooting nights below 50% and low assist numbers, those are inefficient games, I don’t care how many free throws you make.
This is exactly why all the metrics hate our offense.

Judah is a very good player. I wish the rest of the team was as good as he is. I hope he comes back but I think his heart is set on going to the NBA

When he passes the ball, we're better. His assists are up by about an assist a game since December, so that's great. He is rebounding more, too. But his 3 point shooting and his foul shooting seemed to have peaked a few games ago. We need him back in the groove offensively, but still creating assists and hitting the defensive boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom