Worst loss in JB era? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Worst loss in JB era?

Yes. Answer would be "no" if SU didn't give up 100 points in the Dome and lose by 15.
After 54 consecutive W's, tradition of thumping Colgate now over.
JB just did his successor a favor getting this loss in the books now, in convincing fashion.
Next coach wouldn't be able to explain away this loss as easily!

So now that the shock has worn off I will say it’s probably not a top ten worse loss over the past 20 seasons.

Losing to Pitt twice last year including getting waxed once was bad. That Pitt team is on par with this Colgate team.

We also have multiple losses against sub KP 100 St. John’s, BC, Rutgers and Georgia Tech teams over the years.

South Florida.

Depaul.

Old Dominion.

There we’re 2 of UConns worst teams ever in the Garden. One of those games we scored 50 points.

There was a bad Seton Hall team that crushed us in the dome where Scoop played so bad there was a rumor he was point shaving.
Yeah, but other than ODU, you are listing power conference teams. They have athletic guys that are always capable of having a good night if we have an off night.

This was a Patriot League team full of unathletic guys that basically man handled us for the last 36 minutes. I can’t recall ever seeing that before.

Yeah, but other than ODU, you are listing power conference teams. They have athletic guys that are always capable of having a good night if we have an off night.

This was a Patriot League team full of unathletic guys that basically man handled us for the last 36 minutes. I can’t recall ever seeing that before.
Colgate is better than a lot of those teams. They are KenPom 106. If they get in the top 100 it’s not going to be a bad loss. I also expect them to have a high NET. They were a tougher game on the schedule than people are giving credit for. I don’t care if they’re athletic or not. They knew how to play.

There’s a lot more to basketball than being an athlete. Some of the best basketball players in the world are below average athletes…

Colgate is better than a lot of those teams. They are KenPom 106. If they get in the top 100 it’s not going to be a bad loss. I also expect them to have a high NET. They were a tougher game on the schedule than people are giving credit for. I don’t care if they’re athletic or not. They knew how to play.

There’s a lot more to basketball than being an athlete. Some of the best basketball players in the world are below average athletes…
Can’t use KenPom as a reference this early in the year to compare it to earlier seasons.

Can’t use KenPom as a reference this early in the year to compare it to earlier seasons.
You realize that works both ways. They were 14-2 last year and lost one player. I didn’t even mention the games we lost to Drexel, Wichita State and the year we lost to
UMass twice.

You realize that works both ways. They were 14-2 last year and lost one player. I didn’t even mention the games we lost to Drexel, Wichita State and the year we lost to
UMass twice.
I do think Colgate is a good team. I also think they exposed several weaknesses with this Syracuse team that give me great concern for how this season will play out.

So Colgate is at least the same as they were last year. The question we’re all trying to figure out is if this version of Syracuse basketball is equal or worse to last year’s squad. I’m leaning toward worse, based who we lost and who replaced them.

I do think Colgate is a good team. I also think they exposed several weaknesses with this Syracuse team that give me great concern for how this season will play out.

So Colgate is at least the same as they were last year. The question we’re all trying to figure out is if this version of Syracuse basketball is equal or worse to last year’s squad. I’m leaning toward worse, based who we lost and who replaced them.
We aren’t going to play as bad as we did last night all year. This board loves H0T Takes though.

We aren’t going to play as bad as we did last night all year. This board loves H0T Takes though.
You sure about that? I think quite a few posters called out in the past few weeks that this squad is capable of getting boat raced in games this year.

Our offense was on last night. Our defense was off. What do you think it will look like when both are off and we run up against a team that’s firing on all cylinders?

I guess we may find out in the next two weeks

Our guards were the least of the problems yesterday.
Defensively they were extremely bad. It’s one thing to give away open 3s, but I’ve never seen so many wide open from the top of the key, two defenders should be in his face and we had none.

You sure about that? I think quite a few posters called out in the past few weeks that this squad is capable of getting boat raced in games this year.

Our offense was on last night. Our defense was off. What do you think it will look like when both are off and we run up against a team that’s firing on all cylinders?

I guess we may find out in the next two weeks

Yeah I am sure of it. Just like Buddy was no better than a 29% 3 point shooter last December and we were going to go 0-18 after we lost to BC in 2017 Or we were going to finish with a losing record last year after Pitt beat us by 20 and twice in 2 weeks.

This isn’t a hot take.

- we lost the first half after being up 17-2

- we lost the second half by 12 points.

- we gave up 100 points to Colgate (since 2010 this is only their 5th time scoring 100 Bucknell, army, Pittsburg-Bradford, citadel, Syracuse) what team isn’t like the others in this group?

- we lost by 15 and didn’t even foul down the stretch because the game was over.

- our HOF coach got out-coached by a coach who has a winning percentage of 50.2%.

Defensively they were extremely bad. It’s one thing to give away open 3s, but I’ve never seen so many wide open from the top of the key, two defenders should be in his face and we had none.
Girard did gamble a bit in the first half, but I really thought it was the forwards that cost us in the second half on the wings. A lot of the 3’s given up in the second half were off offensive rebounds we didn’t secure. Hard to guard those.

This isn’t a hot take.

- we lost the first half after being up 17-2

- we lost the second half by 12 points.

- we gave up 100 points to Colgate (since 2010 this is only their 5th time scoring 100 Bucknell, army, Pittsburg-Bradford, citadel, Syracuse) what team isn’t like the others in this group?

- we lost by 15 and didn’t even foul down the stretch because the game was over.

- our HOF coach got out-coached by a coach who has a winning percentage of 50.2%.
FTR I agree we were out coached.

Yeah I am sure of it. Just like Buddy was no better than a 29% 3 point shooter last December and we were going to go 0-18 after we lost to BC in 2017 Or we were going to finish with a losing record last year after Pitt beat us by 20 and twice in 2 weeks.
We had a plan B last year.

what can we change up this year for games like these where the defense and rebounding arent there

We had a plan B last year.

what can we change up this year for games like these where the defense and rebounding arent there
Nobody knew what our plan B was at this point last year either.

Nobody knew what our plan B was at this point last year either.
this is simply not true. We knew before the season we had young talent and, specially, length off the bench. we don’t have that this year. We have 8 players that will play, we know what they can do and bring to the table (outside of maybe Benny).

The DePaul loss by 40 was pretty bad.

Colgate is pretty good. We have lost to worse teams than Colgate before. It's just they're a local rival and we've beaten them for 100 years basically.
The Depaul loss was the first loss I thought of when I read this thread. That team was demoralized and didn't even play hard. At least, we fought against "a team that couldn't miss." It seems we have one of these every year.

this is simply not true. We knew before the season we had young talent and, specially, length off the bench. we don’t have that this year. We have 8 players that will play, we know what they can do and bring to the table (outside of maybe Benny).

Yes, you’re right Braswell and Edwards played a ton the first 25 games last year. I’m an idiot and completely forgot. There were no H0T Takes at all at the beginning of last season. Everyone knew Braswell and Edwards would contribute and Buddy would average 20ppg in February and March and there were never posts we would finish with a losing record . Sure. You’re 100 percent right.

This will get them in the Top 100, especially if we do well in Atlantis. We may have just secured the Patriot League its first 8 seed since Navy (which I don't was part of the league) had David Robinson. It's about time we did something for that pretty little school (I went there for two summers during High School).

Yes, you’re right Braswell and Edwards played a ton the first 25 games last year. I’m an idiot and completely forgot. There were no H0T Takes at all at the beginning of last season. Everyone knew Braswell and Edwards would contribute and Buddy would average 20ppg in February and March and there were never posts we would finish with a losing record . Sure. You’re 100 percent right.
Youre being irrational right now. I’m trying to explain to you that there were many folks that knew we had options on our bench last year to play a different style if necessary. We simply don’t have that this year. I’ll let you have the last word

Youre being irrational right now. I’m trying to explain to you that there many folks that knew we had options on our bench last year to play a different style if necessary. We simply don’t have that this year. I’ll let you have the last word
Yes, you’re right. This is a completely reasonable take. I am stupid and know nothing about what happened last year
and am completely making sht up.

We have no options. It’s entirely impossible that Frank, Benny, Edwards, and Swider can play any better than they did last night. That’s the best they can play. They will not improve.

The Depaul loss was the first loss I thought of when I read this thread. That team was demoralized and didn't even play hard. At least, we fought against "a team that couldn't miss." It seems we have one of these every year.
Colgate shot in the mid 40% range. They missed plenty, we just couldn’t get a rebound to stop their multiple attempts from 3. We gave up 16 offensive rebounds and allowed them to pass the ball at will, noted by their 26 assists.

This one is arguably the worst loss. There are a few already mentioned that were terrible but its splitting hairs.
Colgate putting up 100 in the Dome after leading 17-2 is as bad as it gets.

Our guards were the least of the problems yesterday.
offensively they were great. even though buddy kinda disappeared in the second half for a while there.

when joe started making every shot and then JB sat him down i thought that was questionable. i guess he was thinking its buddy time...but buddy didnt deliver.

defensively most of the threes came from the top of the arc.

buddy and joe are not even average defenders in the zone, imo. buddy should have 5 steals a game...but hes almost always a step slow and a steal and breakaway dunk turns into a deflection and no change of possession for him. hes just not fast enough on defense. ive said it from day one. hes gotten good at scoring. but defensively the team is just so slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom