Worst loss in JB era? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Worst loss in JB era?

I kept waiting for Buddy to save the day. It seemed in the last 7 minutes he wasn’t even going for the 3’s. And we needed someone besides Joe (who had an awesome game!) to hit 3’s.

I haven’t read the stats yet but it seemed like Colgate hit 20 3’s tonight.

I don’t feel that downhearted about the game. Maybe I’m coming down with Covid or something.
They hit 18, 40% from out there.

What’s crazy is, they probably shot pretty bad considering how many WIDE open shots they had.

I brought up the Fordham game back in the early 80's. and that was a not so good Fordham team. I actually rented a motel room to get the cable to watch that game. I think the Ohio loss in the Carrier classic a few years ago was pretty bad.
A few years ago??? That Ohio game was 1998 :)

My expectations of Syracuse basketball is 25+ wins, top 20 ranking throughout the year, and a top 4 seed in the tournament. From there I expect to put together occasional deep runs and a final four every once in a while.

While JB has managed to accomplish the occasional deep run and final fours, he’s somehow struggled with the first two. I don’t like struggling in the regular season with the hopes that we’re on the good side of the bubble. It’s mediocre basketball. I expect more
That isn't the expect I was referring to. You said we can't expect to make a tournament run if we get in on the right side of the bubble. My answer is we never expect that. Yet we have. I don't know what the answer is. I know I want to be careful of what I wish for. Because JB will be gone, sooner rather than later. And what comes next, might not be so good. It would have been Hopkins. Looks like we might have dodged a bullet there. Pitt fans wanted Dixon out. that hasn't worked out so well.

I feel like the past 7 years (SEVEN years now!) have become like the movie Groundhog Day. It’s sad that our expectations of being a perennial Top 25 team challenging for conference titles and a top 4 NCAA tournament seed have relegated to being on the bubble, sneaking in as a double digit seed and winning 2-3 tourney games as an underdog. I’m sure there will be the typical responses of “it’s only about what you do in the post season” and “we’ve made a couple final fours and sweet 16s”, but let’s face it, we have not been typical “Syracuse basketball” in over 7 years. Postseason success and Cinderella surprise runs are great, but I long for the days of winning 24+ games in the regular season and worrying more about WHERE the team is going to be seeded. Some people may be fine with mediocrity but Syracuse basketball should never have to get used to it.

How can any of us forget losing to Depaul by 40 the last game of the season a few years back. Didn't we turn it around and go to the final four that year?
No, that was the year Gerry was a human highlight reel and we won the Big East. But he had bad back and muscle issues. We lost in the first game of the NCAAs. He was done.

But what a tournament!

No, that was the year Gerry was a human highlight reel and we won the Big East. But he had bad back and muscle issues. We lost in the first game of the NCAAs. He was done.

But what a tournament!
We won the Big east tournament after that blow out loss.

I feel like the past 7 years (SEVEN years now!) have become like the movie Groundhog Day. It’s sad that our expectations of being a perennial Top 25 team challenging for conference titles and a top 4 NCAA tournament seed have relegated to being on the bubble, sneaking in as a double digit seed and winning 2-3 tourney games as an underdog. I’m sure there will be the typical responses of “it’s only about what you do in the post season” and “we’ve made a couple final fours and sweet 16s”, but let’s face it, we have not been typical “Syracuse basketball” in over 7 years. Postseason success and Cinderella surprise runs are great, but I long for the days of winning 24+ games in the regular season and worrying more about WHERE the team is going to be seeded. Some people may be fine with mediocrity but Syracuse basketball should never have to get used to it.
The problem is what can we do about it? Let's not act like its anyone's fault because they accept it. We have no choice. it is what it is. I'm a Syracuse football fan. Do I like getting hammered year after year? I root for the Giants. I am actually happy when the local Fox station shows the Pats so i I am not able to see it. I'm sorry if I do get excited when we make a run in March. But I will till my dying day.

The problem is what can we do about it? Let's not act like its anyone's fault because they accept it. We have no choice. it is what it is. I'm a Syracuse football fan. Do I like getting hammered year after year? I root for the Giants. I am actually happy when the local Fox station shows the Giants. I'm sorry if I do get excited when we make a run in March. But I will till my dying day.

No problem in getting excited about runs in March, obviously I do too. My post is more about this 7 year trend that quite honestly is unacceptable. Sanctions are in the rearview. Would just be nice to get back to what Syracuse basketball was on an annual basis in the regular season at least. I can root for Syracuse basketball and football like I always have and always will, but can also recognize the current states of the programs and be unhappy with it and voice that opinion.

How can any of us forget losing to Depaul by 40 the last game of the season a few years back. Didn't we turn it around and go to the final four that year?
Is this team capable of improving where they’re extremely deficient?

No problem in getting excited about runs in March, obviously I do too. My post is more about this 7 year trend that quite honestly is unacceptable. Sanctions are in the rearview. Would just be nice to get back to what Syracuse basketball was on an annual basis in the regular season at least. I can root for Syracuse basketball and football like I always have and always will, but can also recognize the current states of the programs and be unhappy with it and voice that opinion.
Just don't be like two3zone and say the same exact thing over and over and over and over again. And also know, none of what any of us says, changes anything. I finally put him on ignore.

Why do we deserve more? I want more. Sure. I want our football team to be better as well. But the deserve part has me confused.
If you want to get overly literary then "deserve" may not be the right word. But, unlike football program, basketball has been a very success athletics program that has stood the test of time at Syracuse for decades. Watching this program become an annual bubble team year in and year out is unacceptable. We use to be confrence champions, we use to be feared, we use produce all Americans, and top 10 draft picks. We are now an annual bubble team give or take a few games. That is not the program I grew up watching. I expect more, from a program that I know, can deliver more

Syracuse zone got carved up by a hot shooting team, that usually shoots well. I thought after the first few minutes when Colgate got off to a slow start, Langel got them to play the way they can play. Their crisp passing opened up wide open shots. It seemed like all the SU 3 pointers were contested but 'gate had a lot of wide open shots and to their credit, they buried them.

I do have to give credit to Colgate, they play in a small rural upstate town and compete in a glorified high school gym. Their coach has dominated in the Patriot league for several years and were competitive against a power 5 team in the NCAA's last year.

I have to confess I earned an undergraduate degree at Colgate in '73 and enjoyed beating SU for 4 years in cross country and track. Feel good for the 'gate tonight but overall very disappointed in the outcome and the way SU played.

Just don't be like two3zone and say the same exact thing over and over and over and over again. And also know, none of what any of us says, changes anything. I finally put him on ignore.

Never have and never will. Always try to stay positive, while being realistic of trends. We need a balance of shooting with athletes. As crazy as it sounds, the trajectory of our season may depend on the development of Benny.

If you want to get overly literary then "deserve" may not be the right word. But, unlike football program, basketball has been a very success athletics program that has stood the test of time at Syracuse for decades. Watching this program become an annual bubble team year in and year out is unacceptable. We use to be confrence champions, we use to be feared, we use produce all Americans, and top 10 draft picks. We are now an annual bubble team give or take a few games. That is not the program I grew up watching. I expect more, from a program that I know, can deliver more
I think we should to.

Both coaches and programs should feel embarrassed today.

I’m at a loss for words.

Get out of here, Colgate’s a good team. We’ll grow from this.

Not concerned.

Never have and never will. Always try to stay positive, while being realistic of trends. We need a balance of shooting with athletes. As crazy as it sounds, the trajectory of our season may depend on the development of Benny.
Have to tell you, I am disappointed In Benny so far. Now, its' ridiculously early in his career and I have no doubt he will be terrific for us at some point. But I expected a better player at this point. Be honest. Didn't you?

Have to tell you, I am disappointed In Benny so far. Now, its' ridiculously early in his career and I have no doubt he will be terrific for us at some point. But I expected a better player at this point. Be honest. Didn't you?

Yeah his jumper has been the biggest letdown for me, zero arc at all. He’s got the raw talent and shows flashes but has a little bit of Terrence Roberts right now in his game and not the good TRob.

They lost to an Ivy League team by 10. Don’t know how you’re not concerned about this loss.

They also had NCSt beat until the refs took it away from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom