Worst loss in JB era? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Worst loss in JB era?

They also had NCSt beat until the refs took it away from them.
I think we can both agree that this Colgate team shouldn’t beat us by 30 in the last 36 minutes of the game. Part of it is skill on their part but we didn’t make their lives difficult at all. I’ve never seen so many WIDE open shots in a game ever.

They lost to an Ivy League team by 10. Don’t know how you’re not concerned about this loss.
Theyll be in the tournament and in good shape come March. Can save this

Big East and A-10 teams though.

Patriot League is not the same level.

I think we lost to Bucknell in 2007 or 2008. Those were pretty solid teams with good big men, comparable to Colgate's recent squads. But as you say, a step below those other conferences.

I brought up the Fordham game back in the early 80's. and that was a not so good Fordham team. I actually rented a motel room to get the cable to watch that game. I think the Ohio loss in the Carrier classic a few years ago was pretty bad.

Yeah, Ohio and Eastern Michigan in consecutive years in the Carrier Classic, those were really frustrating losses.

It‘s early, and this may or may not be a sign of things to come. Not every team we face will move the ball and shoot as well as Colgate did against us. Even when they were missing early and we were up comfortably, i was thinking they really did execute passes well and had a great scheme. Very well coached team, that recognized its personnel, its capabilities… and they didn’t go outside of their lanes. When their big guy was working us over with slo-mo Celtics moves, it wasn’t by accident. They know how to play. How they have already lost two games—that’s a shocker.

So, no, our season isn’t over, but we have been exposed. To the rest of our schedule and to our own forum membership. This should serve as a wake up call to those who imagined us lighting everyone up from three, with four different bombers, and Jesse playing the Olajuwon role, and Benny as senior John Wallace.

We have Swider who has talents but didn‘t see a sufficient role at a better program, and Symmir who was a reserve at Marquette (not sure where they rank), and they were supposed to be saviors/significant contributors/better than the pieces we lost to transfer. Reality is setting in. Benny really is a 4-star, not the undervalued because the recruitniks hate us 5-star. He has talents, but needs a lot of work. He may surprise us with how quickly he develops but he’s not the answer.

We keep signing 4-stars and lower, and magnifying them and re-ranking them because they’re ours. But every other team has their own kids with similar stories. The rankings aren‘t absolute truth, but there‘s no conspiracy against Syracuse.

JBDad has a great resume, but I’ve never felt he was a great coach. Seems like we sometimes have a very good passer (too infrequently, now that I think about it), but we don’t often have a gray passing team. “Unselfishness“ is nice, but it’s not the same thing. He installed a sometimes effective D system, but it’s a song with one note and it got old a long time ago. It works when we have the personnel to execute it, but we are unbalanced right now, and not built for that one scheme. There will be many nights like this when we aren’t entirely unconscious from the outside and can’t overcome the scheme’s liabilities, but we’ll also have games where we can. What we need is a more effective playmaker, more power/athleticism at power forward, and for Benny and Frank to grow up and into their potentials more quickly than we should realistically expect.

Man, if we had a time machine and could drag this post back to the board ten years ago. The reaction would be epic.

The Scoop and Dion rants after the Marquette tourney game, those were the days

They are an NCAA tournament team. They should have won that first round game too they were rolling first half forget who they played.

We’ve lost a lot of games to teams like this over the years. Those teams just weren‘t named Colgate.
Thats true, are we all on board with staying in house to continue more of the same when JB retires?

Why do we deserve more? I want more. Sure. I want our football team to be better as well. But the deserve part has me confused.
Well when your about 3rd in revenue generated for bball programs, you should be able to produce more, right?

There’s no plan B.

We can’t go more Dole at Center or put in a better defender at point guard or play Jesse more if he’s playing well or press when behind, etc.

We have to make shots and hope the other team doesn’t figure out the zone and can’t rebound. That’s the plan. We can win games though, no idea how many
Nope, 9 healthy scholarship players at this moment. Whos responsible for that?

So I think we bubble it into March but from a strategical standpoint this is reminding of Tom Osborne. He got out at the right time, I feel if stayed on longer he would have started experiencing the losses that Frank Solich did at Nebraska, the 1 dimensional wishbone option offense. Eventually CFB DCoordinators figured it out, Bob Stoops and Larry Coker at Miami exposed it in some big games.
Its not 1991 where 3 pt shooting is taboo. Well coached teams can dissect the zone with players who can pass, catch, shoot. So SU is adding more quality shooters to adjust but its having an effect at the defensive end. Not sure what the answer is.

If I am JWildhack, im not sleeping well tonight.

Name a worse home loss? And you can’t name a higher D1 team like a DePaul or St. John’s. As much as we are better then them, they are at least Higher caliber D1 players. Colgate doesn’t have close to a higher D1 caliber player.
Right. Wasn’t any fluke elements to this one.

Wasn’t like our guys just all had a night where they couldn’t make a shot.

Wasn’t like they hit a buzzer beater or something.

Wasn’t them uglying the game up and the refs sucking.

Wasn’t them hitting fluky contested 3s.

They just did whatever they wanted.

Name a worse home loss? And you can’t name a higher D1 team like a DePaul or St. John’s. As much as we are better then them, they are at least Higher caliber D1 players. Colgate doesn’t have close to a higher D1 caliber player.
Vegas spread was only 10.5, but cant.

Losses like this make it hard for me to be ok with handing the program off to Autry or Mac. Makes me think they need to go outside with new ideas and approach

Man, if we had a time machine and could drag this post back to the board ten years ago. The reaction would be epic.
Thing is, we were a different program 10 years ago. I don’t argue that

The entire team was helpless on defense for most of this game. I've already said this enough, but I've not seen such a thing in some time. I have no idea what was going on out there. The effort was poor, the recognition of where shooters were was awful, the execution defending inbounds plays was horrendous, the communication was non-existent. And this was a program that had lost 54 straight. I'd like to call this a sports anomaly, but not sure I can because there was nothing fluky about the game itself. Just a team that performed substantially better for most of the game, that completely magnified the documented red flags the team had going into the season.

As with any game, especially a loss, and especially a loss like this one, you hope this is an opportunity to digest the result, acknowledge the weaknesses, seek whatever corrective action is possible, and straight up work hard and rally to get better.

Right. Wasn’t any fluke elements to this one.

Wasn’t like our guys just all had a night where they couldn’t make a shot.

Wasn’t like they hit a buzzer beater or something.

Wasn’t them uglying the game up and the refs sucking.

Wasn’t them hitting fluky contested 3s.

They just did whatever they wanted.

That’s the thing that pisses me off more then anything. It wasn’t that we lost to Colgate. I would be pissed losing to Colgate. But it’s that we got absolutely handeled. We were up 17-2 at the start and then they were in the lead the entire second half. They won by DOUBLE DIGITS!!!! How some people are not concerned about this performance is mind boggling.

They are an NCAA tournament team. They should have won that first round game too they were rolling first half forget who they played.
Arkansas

Why would this be a bad loss? our starting guards both run a 5.0 plus 40 - why would you think we would win in basketball? sure, we could kick ass in a game of horse

I'm going to say every time we have lost to Georgetown, Yukon and Pitt was a worse loss for me.

Why would this be a bad loss? our starting guards both run a 5.0 plus 40 - why would you think we would win in basketball? sure, we could kick ass in a game of horse
Our guards were the least of the problems yesterday.

So now that the shock has worn off I will say it’s probably not a top ten worse loss over the past 20 seasons.

Losing to Pitt twice last year including getting waxed once was bad. That Pitt team is on par with this Colgate team.

We also have multiple losses against sub KP 100 St. John’s, BC, Rutgers and Georgia Tech teams over the years.

South Florida.

Depaul.

Old Dominion.

There we’re 2 of UConns worst teams ever in the Garden. One of those games we scored 50 points.

There was a bad Seton Hall team that crushed us in the dome where Scoop played so bad there was a rumor he was point shaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom