Would you rather have a Jonny Flynn PG or MCW PG? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Would you rather have a Jonny Flynn PG or MCW PG?

Yup. And taking the entire body of work into account, I’ll take that team over any of our post 2012 teams(2 final four teams included), personally. 28 wins and a sweet 16 against maybe the most difficult schedule we’ve ever played. Seriously, that team had some awesome wins and with the right draw could’ve made a final four run IMO. I’d personally rather watch a really good offensive team that doesn’t have the pieces defensively than the opposite.
Since 2009 I would rank the top 5.
1. 2010 because of Wes Johnson as the 4. Made our offense almost unstoppable with AO and Rick as the 5.
2. 2012 because of the depth. We had 10 deep and MCW was 11.
3. 2009 because of the offensive firepower we ran into Blake Griffin and beat James Harden.
4. 2013 because of the D. Best D in JB Era.
5. 2011 because of Rick Jackson Senior year.

Yup. And taking the entire body of work into account, I’ll take that team over any of our post 2012 teams(2 final four teams included), personally. 28 wins and a sweet 16 against maybe the most difficult schedule we’ve ever played. Seriously, that team had some awesome wins and with the right draw could’ve made a final four run IMO. I’d personally rather watch a really good offensive team that doesn’t have the pieces defensively than the opposite.

I used to think I would agree with you about watching a good offensive team until I've been watching Iowa the past couple years with my dad. Pretty good offensive team but McCaffery can't coach defense worth a damn and it's almost equally as frustrating. In fact, an unnamed recent player was quoted in a recent column they they hardly practiced defense in the 4 years he was at Iowa.

I used to think I would agree with you about watching a good offensive team until I've been watching Iowa the past couple years with my dad. Pretty good offensive team but McCaffery can't coach defense worth a damn and it's almost equally as frustrating. In fact, an unnamed recent player was quoted in a recent column they they hardly practiced defense in the 4 years he was at Iowa.
I watch Iowa because I like the offense.
They just don’t give an effort. The guards don’t stop penetration. It’s totally a coach who doesn’t care about D. Give me 82-79 over 61-56.

2009 was the last time I was clamoring for man to man and one of the times where I questioned JB’s approach. Harris was too small for the back of the zone but was a potentially excellent man to man defender. Flynn was better man to man, too. Devo would’ve been bad either way, but Rautins, KO, Jackson, and AO would’ve been fine either way(Rautins at the top of the zone, that is).

And talking about Harris just reminded me of this video that popped up in my YouTube suggestions the other day. Pure gold. Harris is so pressed to guard Carmelo. You hear him yell for no help once, get mad at Roberts for screening him, and clearly want to guard and stop Melo so badly. I was cracking up the whole time. When he hiked his shorts up as Melo brought the ball up and yelled “move!” when Roberts screened him...I was dying.

Last edited:

Interesting post. As you point out the 13 team is clearly the class of the post-12 teams. I agree 09 was more fun than 13. (I hugely enjoyed Paul Harris, which I realize was not a universal emotion.) But I think 13 takes like 6 of 10 if they played. MCW and Triche would have feasted against that defense. And i don’t see the Flynn, Devo, Harris triumvirate exhibiting the patience you needed against the 13 zone.

Edited to add that I agree that is the year that su should have gone man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom