WOW?! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

WOW?!

That was a terrible display of shooting in front of 30,000+ and a national ESPN audience. It looked to me like we were in the 7TH grade playing a good varsity team.:mad:
CRAP!
The Orange looked overmatched from a physical standpoint.

I was also disappointed in our effort level while pressing in the second half. Duke beat the press like a hot knife through butter.

I don't put too much stock in complaints about our use of the zone.

A good man-to-man defense uses match-up/help out concepts that are very similar to a good zone.

It's about the Joes and the Moes.

Last edited:
I remember the thread before the season, saying that this team’s FLOOR was the NCAA tourney. I’m too lazy to try and find it

Only 6-8 points from our forwards. I would have tried Judah/Copeland with Justin, Benny, and Edwards in the low block for a while. Need shooters to kick to.

Only 2 1/2 guys played well - Judah and Joe were good; Maliq was our next best player. Jesse was below average and none of the other forwards really did much.

Hah, that was quick. Still hoping that poster confused “floor” with “ceiling”

Jesse is a nice player. That’s it. A nice player. He is what he is. An unheralded project who’s done nicely, but we need players that are blue chips. You are right. Etan was wrong. But we have no one else either.

Do you think we would do better replacing Jesse and Joe with guys from the portal, or would we be better if both of them returned?

Only 2 1/2 guys played well - Judah and Joe were good; Maliq was our next best player. Jesse was below average and none of the other forwards really did much.

Joe did not play well. He scored the ball well but he was a revolving door on defense. His defense was so so bad tonight I mean could be the worst I have seen from him in a long long time. He gave up way more points than what he scored tonight 10000%

The Orange looked overmatched from a physical standpoint.

I was also disappointed in our effort while employing the press in the second half. Duke beat the zone like a hot knife through butter.

I don't put too much stock in complaints about our use of the "zone."

A good man-to-man defense uses match-up/help out concepts that are very similar to a good zone.

It's about the Joes and the Moes.

You can't put 4 in the front court. After a handful of 3 on 1's, he had Joe slough off to midcourt to try to interrupt that pass to half court, but then Duke moved 2 guys there, and each time is was 3-on-1 or 3-on-2.

The best press, IMO, is the 2-2-1 zone press. Don't guard the inbound man. Two guys up high, but spaced out on either side of the lane. Then your next 2 guys are near midcourt, but more toward the sidelines, then your center plays deep.

Joe did not play well. He scored the ball well but he was a revolving door on defense. His defense was so so bad tonight I mean could be the worst I have seen from him in a long long time. He gave up way more points than what he scored tonight 10000%

Let's put it this way, he wasn't the only one who was bad on defense.

We would have lost by 30 if he hadn't put up those points.

Let's put it this way, he wasn't the only one who was bad on defense.

We would have lost by 30 if he hadn't put up those points.

Who cares 20 or 30 doesn't matter. He doesn't get a trophy. He is a leader of the team and the team needs him to play on the defensive side of the ball and lead the team. Instead he is OK with chucking up shoots losing and playing no defense.

Do you think we would do better replacing Jesse and Joe with guys from the portal, or would we be better if both of them returned?
Good question. If we had a coach w a pulse I'd say replace but we have Jim. He don't have time for the portal in the off-season.

Can anyone explain what offense we are trying to execute? Three passes and one on one?
JB decides which player he wants to shoot every possession and the players comply (or try to) in any way they can
judah is the only player on the roster right now I'd be actually happy with as a starter next season

JB decides which player he wants to shoot every possession and the players comply (or try to) in any way they can

judah is the only player on the roster right now I'd be actually happy with as a starter next season

I would take Maliq Brown as my starter at the 4 next year.
Jesse is at his ceiling right now, I believe.
But whoever we get to replace him is not going to be as good. Not even close, probably.

Joe shouldn’t be starting on a SU team. So yes, replace him with someone that can play both ends of the floor.

Fair enough. I think he would be pretty good as a 3rd guard, but that's what he was 2 or 3 years ago. We need a better player at the 2, and we need a new coach, obviously.

Crazy to me that people are still focusing their disgust on Joe after another performance like this.

Our three forwards and center sucked. Straight up sucked. And a big part of that was the fact that our staff is absurdly inept at offensive scheming. There were no adjustments. We just let Duke take away our interior play

I remember when I was an Expos fan in those last ugly years from 1998-2004 when you entered the year knowing you had no chance to actually compete.

Sad that I now have those same feelings for Syracuse basketball.

I would take Maliq Brown as my starter at the 4 next year.
Jesse is at his ceiling right now, I believe.
But whoever we get to replace him is not going to be as good. Not even close, probably.

I do like Brown also but he is a below the rim type player and we will need him to be way more of a physical presence on the floor if he isn't going to be a high flyer. I imagine that will come with time just hope he stays that long.

You can't put 4 in the front court. After a handful of 3 on 1's, he had Joe slough off to midcourt to try to interrupt that pass to half court, but then Duke moved 2 guys there, and each time is was 3-on-1 or 3-on-2.

The best press, IMO, is the 2-2-1 zone press. Don't guard the inbound man. Two guys up high, but spaced out on either side of the lane. Then your next 2 guys are near midcourt, but more toward the sidelines, then your center plays deep.
Boeheim has been running the same press since 1976 with Dale Shackleford marking the inbounds man.

I am pretty sure that Roy Danforth ran the same press.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom