Yahoo! Sports - SU Hoops has drug violations | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Yahoo! Sports - SU Hoops has drug violations

Several thoughts:

1. Of course it's weed...and who cares?
2. Unnamed former player has to be a transfer.
3. If we're being honest and unbiased with ourselves, Yahoo Sports probably does the best investigative journalism out there. I'm sure all of the details are accurate...it's just a frivolous story.

4. My guess is the policy is for any and all illegal drugs. It exists because SU doesn't want athletes using coke, heroin, meth, X, steroids, etc. They could care less about weed, even though it's illegal. So when someone tests positive for weed, they look the other way.

An NBA scout once told me that if you saw a player suspended by the NBA for marijuana use, it meant they tested positive for a harder drug, because the league wouldn't suspend a guy for using weed. So the NBA has a look the other way policy.

Question to the doubters. Knowing what you know now, do you feel the media is out to get Syracuse?
not as such, no.

the Bernie Fine case drew several investigative reporters to the region. most of us are adults and know that there are going to be weeds growing out of the cracks in every program. you have to expect that these professional journalists are going to report on their findings.

they didn't come here because they are "out to get Syracuse," but because draws flies. No Bernie Fine scandal, no follow on stories.

same with UCLA. the story of a great program suddenly going over a cliff after 3 straight final fours was always going to invite investigation, and the Reeves Nelson blow up was just the right steaming pile to draw the flies . . .

not as such, no.

the Bernie Fine case drew several investigative reporters to the region. most of us are adults and know that there are going to be weeds growing out of the cracks in every program. you have to expect that these professional journalists are going to report on their findings.

You might want to rephrase that. ;)

We have had a lot of guys "miss time" and "leave" over the years. Many without explanation. Hard to believe those werent some of the same guys. Deshaun must be talkin again.

I bet there's at least 10 people on this board that are high right now.

In late 1970, 10,000 people attending the Jefferson Airplane concert in Manley could have been ruled in eligible to play SU basketball

And most of the rest are drunk. Personally, I just did six hits of acid and downed a drum of kerosene.
wasted calories my friend. i got all that buzz in one shot of 5 hour jet fuel with yopo.

Deshaun was probably 7 of the guys in the story all by himself

I would guess the vast majority came off the 2001-02 team. I have no doubts about it. the last 3-4 years probably a diff story.

guys, this whole story is going to hinge around the details, if they come out. No one's gonna care if it's a list of Mark Konecny, Josh Wright, Louie McCroskey, Mike Jones, DayShawn Wright, etc. If it's a bigtime player that was the 4 time failure, then it will get a lot more attention. It is also going to depend a lot on what the offending contaminant is... everyone is assuming weed, but it doesn't say specifically in the story.

If this is all they've got, then it's a dead end. If they have specifics, it's a different story entirely.

Mason

An NBA scout once told me that if you saw a player suspended by the NBA for marijuana use, it meant they tested positive for a harder drug, because the league wouldn't suspend a guy for using weed. So the NBA has a look the other way policy.

I figured. Remember what Charles Oakley said?

When Lamar Odom was with the Clippers, I heard he had a special taxi driver who let him smoke up in the car on the way to Staples. Visions of Jeff Spicoli when he got out of the cab...

Does anyone think Melo's not lighting up now and again? I mean between the name Melo and that goofy mug of his there is no chance that he abstains.

Jake Crouthamel speaks:

http://www.dailyorange.com/news/rep...olicy-with-men-s-basketball-program-1.2808217

Jake Crouthamel, SU athletic director for 27 years from 1978 to 2005, said he was aware of several failed drug tests during his time as Syracuse University's athletic director.

But allowing those players to continue playing, he said, was another issue.

"I don't recall any of that, of allowing players to play," Crouthamel said. "Those who tested positive, and I can really think of only one or two, didn't play until they were clean."

Crouthamel did not name the players he knew had failed drug tests.

He said he couldn't remember exactly what the policy was after a player fails a drug test. But he did say the player is informed of the failed test and continues to be retested until the test comes back clean.

"That was a while ago," Crouthamel said. "I mean, I really don't know (what the policy was). We had to continue testing him until he was clean."

Jake Crouthamel speaks:

http://www.dailyorange.com/news/rep...olicy-with-men-s-basketball-program-1.2808217

Jake Crouthamel, SU athletic director for 27 years from 1978 to 2005, said he was aware of several failed drug tests during his time as Syracuse University's athletic director.

But allowing those players to continue playing, he said, was another issue.

"I don't recall any of that, of allowing players to play," Crouthamel said. "Those who tested positive, and I can really think of only one or two, didn't play until they were clean."

Crouthamel did not name the players he knew had failed drug tests.

He said he couldn't remember exactly what the policy was after a player fails a drug test. But he did say the player is informed of the failed test and continues to be retested until the test comes back clean.

"That was a while ago," Crouthamel said. "I mean, I really don't know (what the policy was). We had to continue testing him until he was clean."

It seems to me that an AD should know the policy - I mean, he'd either be the guy crafting the policy or OK'ing it, no?

I figured. Remember what Charles Oakley said?

When Lamar Odom was with the Clippers, I heard he had a special taxi driver who let him smoke up in the car on the way to Staples. Visions of Jeff Spicoli when he got out of the cab...

Funny you should mention Odom because his case was specifically the one were discussing.

Sean Williams would probably be on that list as well...

It seems to me that an AD should know the policy - I mean, he'd either be the guy crafting the policy or OK'ing it, no?

Jake hasn't been here for almost a decade. It's possible that he simply doesn't remember the policy word-for-word.

I think it's just the Big East admins trying to bring down JB before we leave for greener pastures. Spite is the word of the day.

Wanna bet two of the four sources are named Davis and Lang? Would you say the timing of this is "suspicious". And most of the "criminals" cited had issues not connected to drug testing. The state of journalism today in this country is sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom