You never know who you are going to meet in the Mountains | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

You never know who you are going to meet in the Mountains

Suffice to say Joe will be happy playing his natural position. He was very close to not picking SU. Many in family actually wanted him to explore outside of the area. The transfer rumor had some validity. Not all in the family are huge JB fans.
Lots more on the team in general that i wont share. I was with 2 people both so nice.
I’d find it hysterical if JG3 decided to transfer for his last season.

Honestly, JB used to be a players coach. Now he’s just a super grumpy old man that nobody wants to play for.

I always figured buddy’s skill set and lack of a decent handle made him a more natural 3 in our system. In hindsight the following lineup is probably a bubble team this year at worst:

1- sy
2- joe
3- buddy
4- cole
5-Jesse
I happen to agree with you and some folks suggested this before the season even started!!

Although he has put together some impressive stats over his 3 years….it certainly hasn’t been easy on him for numerous reasons….. 1.) he’s been forced into a position that doesn’t exactly suit him and he knows it 2.) he reads and senses everything, he knows the majority of the fan base was upset that KR left and many blamed Joe (even though it wasn’t his fault) 3.) he figured he would get a little more than roughly 60-90 seconds a game at his natural position playing the 2G (Buddy typically would sit right before the 8 minute media TO, and then come right back in after the first whistle) 4.) I’m sure there is more 5.) I’m certain there is more

I live 15 minutes away from Glens Falls, and a LOT of basketball minds wanted him to choose Notre Dame, thinking their style was better suited for his game. And as a 2nd choice, BC. They were all in agreement that the SU zone wasn’t an ideal fit.
Ya, joe would flourish in a man to man defense.

Interesting as I know some people in the Toga region who have heard similar things about JG3 and some other players who love the minutes and opportunity but believe the wear and tear is impacting their game in a negative way. Gossip for sure but one of those unhappy was very close to the coach.

Joe is in the best possible spot for his D, but not for his O.

Joe should stick it out, graduate, and then do a post-grad year at another school if he wants to try something different.

All credit to him for his improvements on O this year, but Newhouser is right, if he gets in a system that plays man, which is almost anywhere, and especially a system where there is a lot of switching, he's going to be hunted every possession and put into a blender unless he drops down a level to maybe A10 or something, and even then it may be dicey.

They were drinking Martinis

Gin or vodka? I'm not down with these new money people and their vodka martinis. The nerve.

Get me a Hendrick's martini, straight up.

Last edited:
There are only two people in the Girard family that matter. Dad and Mom.
I dont believe that at all. Grandparents and siblings are very important and huge influencers

Buddy may be a better player but our offense operated more efficiently with symir at the 1 and girard at the 2.

Buddy may be a better player but our offense operated more efficiently with symir at the 1 and girard at the 2.
Against one team in one game. For most of the year, Symir didn't do much and didn't look all that good. let's see what Joe can do playing an entire year being guarded by athletic 6-5 guys that Buddy had to go up against instead of 6-2 pt guards.

Against one team in one game. For most of the year, Symir didn't do much and didn't look all that good. let's see what Joe can do playing an entire year being guarded by athletic 6-5 guys that Buddy had to go up against instead of 6-2 pt guards.
Excellent point - JG will have to learn to deal with denials and blocked shots instead of getting picked by quick PG’s.

Im not discrediting the benefits Joe’s shooting enjoyed by the pressure being focused on Buddy.

Shootings one part of the equation though. Buddy’s a better scorer, undeniable.

In my opinion, with Jesse back, the offense is less one dimensional and reliant on iso with Symir facilitating and Joe off the ball. Maybe Joe doesn’t need to take those difficult shots with the ball moving around better.

Too many times Joe had the ball and NONE of our perimeter guys were moving to get open.

In a perfect world Buddy comes back and improves his defense enough to play the 3 and split mins even with Joe at 2.

Im not discrediting the benefits Joe’s shooting enjoyed by the pressure being focused on Buddy.

Shootings one part of the equation though. Buddy’s a better scorer, undeniable.

In my opinion, with Jesse back, the offense is less one dimensional and reliant on iso with Symir facilitating and Joe off the ball. Maybe Joe doesn’t need to take those difficult shots with the ball moving around better.

Too many times Joe had the ball and NONE of our perimeter guys were moving to get open.

In a perfect world Buddy comes back and improves his defense enough to play the 3 and split mins even with Joe at 2.
the first thing that I would disagree with is the idea that Symir will be the starting pt guard. There is a reason they want Mintz and have put word out to Clark. if we fall short of those two ( we probably will) i think they hit the portal for the guy that starts at the pt for us. Not so say that Symir won't play but that he will be a reserve.

if you want to blame BB's less than stellar 3 point accuracy on double teams then the answer is simple. when you're doubled pass the damn ball. don't lead the league in forced shots for the second straight season. big difference between accuracy and volume stats. the first implies that you make it while the second simply implies that you take it. buddy was not a great three point shooter this season. his % tells you that. 4th on his own team and 50th in the ACC. he just happened to take a lot more than anybody else. Buddy Bricks.

Last edited:
This is such a strange thread.

Honest question, who here thinks that when any player comes to SU to play hoops, that it is 4-5 years or bliss and roses? Because it sounds like some believe that this should be the expectation and anything less reflects some sort of deficiency in the program.

No. This is not reality. There are many potential adversities that are thrown at these kids. Some of them come from within the hoops program (playing time, failing for the first time, injuries), some the academic realm and others in their personal lives (both on campus and back home).

Color me not concerned that JG's aunts said he seriously considered BC, and that there is some concern among his cousins that he might be playing too much or that his uncle said he's being played out of position.

Sounds to me like Joe has come up against some speed bumps along the way and has learned how to persevere thought them. He is a well-above average college player and will always be welcomed back at SU after his playing days are complete.

One more year to go (maybe more), but so far, he has been an +asset for the SU program. Good.

the first thing that I would disagree with is the idea that Symir will be the starting pt guard. There is a reason they want Mintz and have put word out to Clark. if we fall short of those two ( we probably will) i think they hit the portal for the guy that starts at the pt for us. Not so say that Symir won't play but that he will be a reserve.
I dont disagree with that but I also don’t think we land either of the mentioned HS guards and I’d have to see who’s coming out of the portal

I dont disagree with that but I also don’t think we land either of the mentioned HS guards and I’d have to see who’s coming out of the portal
i don't think we do either. but there will be plenty of talent in the portal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom