Your preference? | Syracusefan.com

Your preference?

Toga

Living Legend
Make the Championship game but lose on a shot like that? Or, lose like we did in the semi? I mean the choice is obvious isn't it?

Obviously, you'd rather make the championship game. Now, if we're talking about losing any game either by blowout or last second shot, I'd rather get blown out. It's tougher after the fact when you lose in a blowout because everyone just tells you your team sucks, but I'd take that over the heartbreak of seeing a win slip away due to one shot.

Edit: If it wasn't clear, I'm choosing to rather lose in the title game at the buzzer than in a F4 game in a blowout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toga said:
Make the Championship game but lose on a shot like that? Or, lose like we did in the semi? I mean the choice is obvious isn't it?

Get as far as you can regardless of the outcome.

Lose in the semi. That shot would have haunted my dreams forever.

So people would rather lose in the Semi's handily than play in the National Championship and lose at the buzzer? Riiiight.
Sounds like the type of crowd I'd enjoy hanging with...
Or not!
(To each his/her own I suppose)

Normally I would definitely say to get as far as you can regardless of the outcome. However, I would MUCH rather be remembered for what we did this year than UNC. We got beat by a more talented team. The way that UNC got beat will never be forgotten. They will show that 3 ptr every single damn year and it will pain UNC fans every single time they have to watch it. Wow, good thing we never have to endure such a thing (cough... thanks, Keith).

So people would rather lose in the Semi's handily than play in the National Championship and lose at the buzzer? Riiiight.
Interesting perspective. Mine is the opposite. When I see SU fans mention Keith Smart, I'd prefer not experience that for the rest of my life.

So I take it that we'd be much better off if we'd just lost to Providence in 1987... Damnit, we coulda saved all that heartache.

BS - play til ya lose... Get up after you're knocked down, dust yourself off and go get it next year. Oh please, don't hurt my heart, waaaahhh. There is ZERO shame in losing a game like that. Hell of a season for UNC no matter how you cut it.

I would much rather have lost the way UNC did, than be Nova and lose in OT after the Paige shot.

Interesting takes. For me, I'm more than OK we made the final in 96 and lost by 7? However, I would have preferred not making the final in 87 as opposed to losing like that. That one still hurts. Losing to Kentucky in 96 does not. The pain of losing in 87 like that outweighs the positive of making the game.

So I take it that we'd be much better off if we'd just lost to Providence in 1987... Damnit, we coulda saved all that heartache.

BS - play til ya lose... Get up after you're knocked down, dust yourself off and go get it next year. Oh please, don't hurt my heart, waaaahhh. There is ZERO shame in losing a game like that. Hell of a season for UNC no matter how you cut it.

I share your perspective and would agree normally but just not in a situation like this where you will be reminded of the pain year after year after year after year. No thanks.

As much as I would like to say I would rather lose on a shot like that because I know it probably would be "better" for the program, (making the NC game,recruiting, press coverage, player/coach experience, ect.) I remember 1987 vividly. It was, and is still painful. As a young boy I remember crying and going to the attic of the house and watching my brother scraping the face off of a picture of Jesus Christ. I never will forget that night. Yep, I'll take one order of the semi loss for me thank you.

I'm going to quote the timeless Art LaFleur from an American Cinematic Classic involving our Nation's Past-Time...

"Heroes live forever, but, legends never die." Keith Smart may be the hero, but we will always live on with that story. How many references do you see to '87 Providence and UNLV?

While not exactly the same circumstance, but close……Kris Jenkins is to North Carolina as Keith Smart was to us….that is too painful!

I feel like I just watched Sophies Choice :)

I bow down to your nobility in this imaginary psychic scenario. :)
I'm just sayin man, my philosophy is you roll the ball out, no matter the sport, and play until you can't. Wherever and however that season finishes is where it finishes.

I mean what's the goal? To win a NC right? Who got closer, us or UNC? Variables be damned, I wanna get as close to achieving my goal as possible

National championship.

A better question might be would you rather lose by 50 in the championship game or lose a buzzer beater? Id rather lose by 50

When I think back to March of 1987, those are GREAT memories. That's what cemented my allegiance to SU (fan to grad). We could have missed the Tourney that year, would that have been better? Silly. To this day, I don't watch the K.Smart shot, but that's just a superstition. It hurt for about 2-3 days. Now those are 100% fantastic memories. I just don't get the thinking of some people.

Make the game, and play a great game. May hurt worse initially, but being in a great game will be remembered better, losing by getting blown out, makes you look bad.

Lose like we did, I might be in the pysch ward right now if I was a unc fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom