“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve reached the point of justifying giving up 100 points to a school people make toothpaste jokes about? Lol

Edit so I’m not labeled a hater: Colgate isn’t terrible. I would be ecstatic if Langel was named the head coach at my alma mater in the next couple of weeks.

But they aren’t as good as they were even last year and they’re probably a 15 seed if they win tomorrow.

We’ve reached the point of justifying giving up 100 points to a school people make toothpaste jokes about? Lol

Edit so I’m not labeled a hater: Colgate isn’t terrible. I would be ecstatic if Langel was named the head coach at my alma mater in the next couple of weeks.

But they aren’t as good as they were even last year and they’re probably a 15 seed if they win tomorrow.
I remember when Colgate had a lottery pick that we had recruited hard, and we still beat them by 35.

Yea, the ncaa moved the nba decision date from April to July. JB didn’t want to potentially wait that long and told him. If Q had waited till the summer (which he didn’t in the end) we wouldn’t have gotten a replacement at that late date. We had this discussion in the spring. Do you not remember in March JB building him up as an AA?
Ask Quincy what he thinks of JB.
You probably know if you don’t know what Quincy would say you would delete it.

Also don’t pretend we didn’t know Jimmy was coming. We took Cole very quickly.

I think you have a phone call.

You keep alluding to knowing what Quincy was thinking of JB. Do you know or are you speculating?

Good lord, Quincy didn’t want to come back to rebound for Buddy. I’m sure this strained his relationship with JB.

Do I have a signed affidavit? No. The board sycophants refuse to read between the lines on anything that might come up anti JB or SU basketball. And many are pretty smart. It’s intellectually dishonest.

Good lord, Quincy didn’t want to come back to rebound for Buddy. I’m sure this strained his relationship with JB.

Do I have a signed affidavit? No. The board sycophants refuse to read between the lines on anything that might come up anti JB or SU basketball. And many are pretty smart. It’s intellectually dishonest.
Not sure if you were responding to me, but I was genuinely curious what Alsacs knew, as I thought it went down more as Bees had suggested regarding timing with QG's NBA draft decision.

Not sure if you were responding to me, but I was genuinely curious what Alsacs knew, as I thought it went down more as Bees had suggested regarding timing with QG's NBA draft decision.
Just a general comment. Less about Quincy and more about the board OG’s always finding a way to explain things. Literal when needed. Interpretative when it supports JB.

Just a general comment. Less about Quincy and more about the board OG’s always finding a way to explain things. Literal when needed. Interpretative when it supports JB.

There’s no explaining. It was discussed in the spring as it happened.

QG was sick of JB yelling at him.

So he left and had no paying interest, and is now playing less, scoring less, and rebounding less for a mediocre team. No one watches Altman's pressers, I watched one and he called out QG for bad defense. Go figure, coaches are hard asses.

He could have had the same great experience if they played 28 and 15 minutes a night.

This.

Look at Fran McCaffery and Iowa. I'm sure he's quite the proud pops, etc. these days in having been able to coach his sons, along with doing it in a manner that didn't cloud his judgement relative to constructing his roster/roster management. Iowa has been ranked and is a #4 seed in their respective conference tournament, where the B1G has been very solid this year.

This.

Look at Fran McCaffery and Iowa. I'm sure he's quite the proud pops, etc. these days in having been able to coach his sons, along with doing it in a manner that didn't cloud his judgement relative to constructing his roster/roster management. Iowa has been ranked and is a #4 seed in their respective conference tournament, where the B1G has been very solid this year.
I've mentioned before my dad is an Iowa grad, so I watch all their games also. Definitely a contrast in styles from JB as you mention. Connor played his fewest MPG in his career this year, his senior year and went from starting every game the past 2 seasons to starting 4 this year. And his senior night was still a very special moment for the family and fans.

the boeheims? No.
joe? Yes.

reminder that you said this in April of last year

”So...per 2-4-7, we've lost Kadari Richmond (#88 coming out of high school), John Bol Ajak (#480) and Robert Braswell (Unrated) and gotten Symir Torrence, (#75), Cole Swider (#44) to go with Benny Williams, (#25)?

Sounds like a an upgrade to me.”

Yup. Not what you would do to clear it out for your sons.

So, you're claiming that we have the talent to compete -- and yet we couldn't meet the minimum threshold to qualify for the NIT tournament? We couldn't produce a winning record? We couldn't attain a record above .500 in the worst group of teams the ACC conference has fielded since last century?

Setting aside those measurable, completely non-subjective indicators of whether we were competitive or not, how did you and Mrs. Lincoln enjoy the play, SWC?

Despite your pollyannish insistence otherwise, this roster lacked talent. What we had in actuality was a group of shooters who could occasionally get streaky hot, and when that infrequently happened they were tough. And when it didn't, they couldn't hang. There's a big difference between "good" and "good enough," and from your posts in this thread, you clearly don't recognize the difference.

If we didn't have the talent to compete our loses would have been blow-outs. We competed. We just didn't make the plays at the end to win in most of our losses.

If we didn't have the talent to compete our loses would have been blow-outs. We competed. We just didn't make the plays at the end to win in most of our losses.

Look, SWC -- you provide a valuable service to the board, but this exchange appears pointless, because you equate "compete" with trying hard and coming close instead of tangible outcomes. Not worth splitting hairs over anymore.

But given today's awesome performance, who cares?

Let's Go Orange!!!

Look, SWC -- you provide a valuable service to the board, but this exchange appears pointless, because you equate "compete" with trying hard and coming close instead of tangible outcomes. Not worth splitting hairs over anymore.

Let's Go Orange!!!

We definitely competed and had the talent to compete. When you are in games that could go either way you are competitive and competing.

We didn’t have the talent and/or coaching to get the results we wanted or have come to expect.

FSU wasn’t competitive today. I’d give you that.

We... had the talent to compete. When you are in games that could go either way you are competitive and competing.

We didn’t have the talent and/or coaching to get results.

Which is it?

Again, outcomes are results-driven, aren't they?

And taken in the aggregate, this team was not competitive in an extremely down league. As evidenced by our losing conference record, and a .500 record [factoring in today's outstanding outcome].

It also isn't a stretch to suggest that our record was as "good" as it was BECAUSE the league was down.

Again, my contention all along has been we need to look big picture to assess team performance. We weren't close to being a top 25 team, we didn't even finish in the top half of the league standings, and when we played ranked teams we struggled. So in the aggregate, we weren't competitive to the level we needed to be.

Let's Go Orange!!!

We competed well today.

Being competitive doesn’t mean you have to win.

How'd we do for the season?

I'll hang up and listen to your rationalized spin about "ifs" and coming close and how much better our record would be if we'd won games we lost.
Well, you are what your record says you are. And while I don't think we could give any top 10 team in the country a game, I think we are competitive with the rest. I think you could reshuffle the games and our record could be a lot better. If Jesse didn't get hurt. Don't underestimate that. Yes, we had him for the two disgraceful losses to G-town and Colgate. But he was much better later.

Well, you are what your record says you are. And while I don't think we could give any top 10 team in the country a game, I think we are competitive with the rest. I think you could reshuffle the games and our record could be a lot better. If Jesse didn't get hurt. Don't underestimate that. Yes, we had him for the two disgraceful losses to G-town and Colgate. But he was much better later.

You and I agree over the years 99% of the time, as you know.

But not this time. If, if, if. And where does it end? Because if Indiana had made a play at the end of that game before it went to OT...

But I certainly agree that Jesse is a terrific player. As you know, I've been singing his praises for three years.

And I do also agree that you are what your record says you are, and that we aren't capable of giving teams in the top 10 a game. Because we are is a team with limited talent, that failed to reach .500 in a lousy conference this year. If [there's that word again] this exact team was plopped down in the ACC from say three years ago when we had ~5 teams ranked at the end of the regular season, where do you think they would finish in the standings? This year, we were two games below .500 in the league during the regular season... and that was with the benefit of playing a far lower grade of competition than usual.

I know you watch a ton of college basketball. I just can't fathom how people can look at the team's performance in total and conclude that we're competitive. Maybe against similarly bad teams like NC State in a totally watered down league, but not against Auburn. Heck, not even against VCU or Colgate.

Which is why I keep suggesting that we aren't competitive nationally, and we really aren't competitive in our league -- given that we finished 9-11.

But not this time. If, if, if. And where does it end? Because if Indiana had made a play at the end of that game before it went to OT...

But I certainly agree that Jesse is a terrific player. As you know, I've been singing his praises for three years.

And I do also agree that you are what your record says you are, and that we aren't capable of giving teams in the top 10 a game. Because we are is a team with limited talent, that failed to reach .500 in a lousy conference this year. If [there's that word again] this exact team was plopped down in the ACC from say three years ago when we had ~5 teams ranked at the end of the regular season, where do you think they would finish in the standings? This year, we were two games below .500 in the league during the regular season... and that was with the benefit of playing a far lower grade of competition than usual.

I know you watch a ton of college basketball. I just can't fathom how people can look at the team's performance in total and conclude that we're competitive. Maybe against similarly bad teams like NC State in a totally watered down league, but not against Auburn. Heck, not even against VCU or Colgate.

Which is why I keep suggesting that we aren't competitive nationally, and we really aren't competitive in our league -- given that we finished 9-11.
Part of the reason we finished 9-11 is because we lost jesse. And we are what we are. i think we were poorly coached this season. Very poorly coached. As I said, if we played the schedule all over again, I think we could have done better. And I don't think we could have done worse. I don't know why you brought up Auburn. We can't play with top 10 teams. Maybe even top 20 teams. But after that, I think we could be solid. By the way, i wouldn't want to play this season over. I honestly can't wait until it's over.

Competitive is the opposite of uncompetitive, just as defeat is the opposite of victory. NC State was 4-16. They were uncompetitive. We were 9-11, mostly close games. We were competitive. Duke was 16-4. they were superior. We used to be superior but aren't any more and that's what bugs all of us. But it's not true that we don't have the players to compete with the teams we are playing, which was the statement that I was responding to.

Competitive is the opposite of uncompetitive, just as defeat is the opposite of victory. NC State was 4-16. They were uncompetitive. We were 9-11, mostly close games. We were competitive. Duke was 16-4. they were superior. We used to be superior but aren't any more and that's what bugs all of us. But it's not true that we don't have the players to compete with the teams we are playing, which was the statement that I was responding to.
Tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors