“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hand-waving away close losses cuts both ways. SU won a few by 1 or 2 possessions or in OT as well.

Basketball scores are generally within a few possessions anyway. Even blowouts tend to be ameliorated late in games because teams take their foot off the gas.

It was a bad season, the one thing everyone could agree with. If we could have won games against teams with records like 22-9 (Notre Dame and Miami or 23-8, (UNC and Wake) that we had a chance to win at the end, it would not have been seen as a bad season. But we didn't. It would have been helpful to not have the injuries we had at the end but they happened.

We're all justifiably unhappy with the result. My comments have been in response to statements that are not justifiable:

"Boeheim purposely didn't recruit better players because he wanted to feature his sons."

"Boeheim doesn't care about wins."

"Boeheim is holding us back. The next coach will be better, unless they promote an assistant, who will be worse."

"Buddy Boeheim's achievements are the result of 'usage'."

"We had a losing season and we'll have another one next year."

"We don't have the talent to compete with the teams we are playing."

And here we go again. "If."

If the queen had ballz, she'd be the king. But she doesn't. And we didn't win those games, so it wasn't a good season.

And since we lost those games, we weren't competitive with the teams we were playing. Because results matter, not wishes.

It was a bad season, the one thing everyone could agree with. If we could have won games against teams with records like 22-9 (Notre Dame and Miami or 23-8, (UNC and Wake) that we had a chance to win at the end, it would not have been seen as a bad season. But we didn't. It would have been helpful to not have the injuries we had at the end but they happened.

We're all justifiably unhappy with the result. My comments have been in response to statements that are not justifiable:

"Boeheim purposely didn't recruit better players because he wanted to feature his sons."

"Boeheim is holding us back. The next coach will be better, unless they promote an assistant, who will be worse."

Disagree. Those are some distortions. JAB thought he could win with this team, which heavily featured his sons and some players that he was familiar with from his sons' AAU days. That wasn't an accident or a coincidence.

If Coleman hit a FT.
If Cipolla didn’t make a crazy shot.
I could keep going
I mean stop with ifs.

You refuse to see to acknowledge what a lot of people see.
You would be an excellent jury member.

I agree, it bothers me as well. I think I was a bit naïve thinking that the streak would never end, at least under Jim. I would obviously never hope for a loss (or losing season), but I do wonder if that will make it tougher for Jim just to pretend all is okay. This just might force him somewhat to take some bolder moves to right the ship. The concern that I have is I don't know if Jim is willing to do what is necessary to right the ship.

What precisely is that? What are the 'bolder moves'?

He's already said that he's going to see if next year's team can play some man-to-man. He's bringing in a 5, maybe 6 man class that is said to be much more athletic than what we have now. I'd like him to use all 13 scholarships so we can sustain a wave of injuries and not think about using walk-ons in important games. I want a point guard who is a point guard. I'd love to see the press used to speed teams up while slowing down their offense.

What else, (besides retirement) is on your wish list?

check is in the mail steve...
I'll not believe that for one second until I see it... If we give up a bucket on one possession in the preseason that doesn't count as trying it either...

They also lost to St John's, Pitt, and NC State when they stepped up in competition. They've done well against Patriot League competition. We're supposed to be better than Patriot League Forza. That's what is interesting...
They were dealing with injuries during that stretch.

You are what’s your record says you are
captain obvious hotels.com GIF

some final ACC regular season league rankings .
MPG. buddy #1, jimmy #4
FGA . buddy #1 jimmy #15
FG%. buddy #63 jimmy #43
3PA . buddy #2 jimmy #52
3P% . buddy #50 jimmy #44

Yep, sounds about right. That was the plan.

I can't believe all those "malcontents" left or that we didn't bring all those other guys that definitely wanted to come.

I think the difference is that we don't have a real lead dog. A lot of these kids would look a lot different if they were playing with the type of great forwards we have had over the years. Orr. Coleman. Owens. Wallace. Johnson. Those guys would make the kids on this team look a whole lot different.
Maybe the most glaring weakness on this team in terms of lacking a lead dog is at the PG position. We don't have one. In college hoops if you don't have a decent PG then you're not going to have a very good team. In our last 4-5 years we've had sub-par PG play with JG and FH.

Yep, sounds about right. That was the plan.

I can't believe all those "malcontents" left or that we didn't bring all those other guys that definitely wanted to come.

Sad

some final ACC regular season league rankings .
MPG. buddy #1, jimmy #4
FGA . buddy #1 jimmy #15
FG%. buddy #63 jimmy #43
3PA . buddy #2 jimmy #52
3P% . buddy #50 jimmy #44
1st team all ACC. buddy

Maybe the most glaring weakness on this team in terms of lacking a lead dog is at the PG position. We don't have one. In college hoops if you don't have a decent PG then you're not going to have a very good team. In our last 4-5 years we've had sub-par PG play with JG and FH.
It's really been longer than that. Outside of Gillon(and JB didn't start him until 10-15 games in the season) we have been getting by with shooting guards there. Gbinije was a great player, but he should have been a 2 or a 3.

They also lost to St John's, Pitt, and NC State when they stepped up in competition. They've done well against Patriot League competition. We're supposed to be better than Patriot League Forza. That's what is interesting...
If Colgate makes the tourney and has a somewhat competitive 1st round game. I'll be glad to take the L on it and say Colgate was respectable

Lose to Navy or get boatraced in round 1? Nah. Bunch of wins over a bunch of Lehigh types do nothing for me.

The top teams in the league were:

Duke (26-5, 16-4) with whom we couldn't match-up and lost by 20 and 25 points. We know it was match-up problems because they lost to Miami, who we had those 18 point leads on and lost two games by a total of 4 points to, Florida State who we split with, Virginia who beat us by 5 and North Carolina, who beat us in overtime.

Notre Dame (22-9, 15-5) who beat us by 10. It was 69-72 with 1:03 to go: the remaining 7 points all came at the foul line as we were fouling trying to get the ball back.

North Carolina (23-8, 15-5), who beat us in overtime

U of Miami (22-9, 14-6) See above.

Wake Forest (23-8, 13-7) We beat us in overitme after a bad call and who we blew out by 22 in the Dome.

The second Duke game, the Notre Dame game, the UNC game and the second Miami game were played without Jesse Edwards, the UNC and second Miami game without Symir Torrance and the second Miami game without Benny Williams.

Our big problems were depth and poor ball-handling at the end of the games. legitimate criticisms can be made about trying to go with 10 guys, playing a 2 guard at the point and running a isolation offense that is dependent on spacing, which makes it hard to deal with defensive pressure. But we obviously had to the talent to compete with the top teams in the conference.
I'll say again, college basketball isn't college football. To me, in hoops, losing close doesn't mean a whole lot.

Georgetown lost to Seton Hall by 7 and 5 this year. Lost to UConn by 9. Lost to Villanova by 11 and 8.

Were they "competitive"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors