1 week rest - we can still do this | Syracusefan.com

1 week rest - we can still do this

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
We can still get back on track, the 8 wins thus far in the ACC is big and this group of vets was built to compete best on momentum in a tourney (Acc) format so long as we dont draw unc or uva. I think tech squashing us was as much them having an extraordinary shooting performance as us playing poorly.

We have a full week to right the ship for 2 or 3 more before the acc tourney. Its daunting but possible. Im not going to pretend like i know more than Bilas and other experts that still have us as top 40.

Nc state and FSU were rough but the time to find ourselves and toughen up is still there to present itself.

We can still get back on track, the 8 wins thus far in the ACC is big and this group of vets was built to compete best on momentum in a tourney (Acc) format so long as we dont draw unc or uva. I think tech squashing us was as much them having an extraordinary shooting performance as us playing poorly.

We have a full week to right the ship for 2 or 3 more before the acc tourney. Its daunting but possible. Im not going to pretend like i know more than Bilas and other experts that still have us as top 40.

Nc state and FSU were rough but the time to find ourselves and toughen up is still there to present itself.
Did you miss the memo that the season is over and that all new threads are to be self-indulgent whinefests on topics that were beaten to death long ago?

Did you miss the memo that the season is over and that all new threads are to be self-indulgent whinefests on topics that were beaten to death long ago?
Oh no - I got in my whining as well. But after some reflecting and wining last night I’ve realized how silly it is to discount a vet team with this much time left. We play for a shot at march right? No name on a jersey grants it. We have time left.

We completely control our own destiny. Three mega resume boosting win opportunities sitting there on a silver platter.

Two out of the three at home! You’d think that would help to tip the odds closer to our favor.

I smell another egg by Virginia.

Finally some optimism. You know we'll steal a game or two from the 4 tough ones on our schedule. Hard to imagine we don't get to 11 wins in ACC play. They aren't just going to roll over. We are a streaky shooting team, when we are hitting from outside we can beat anyone.

Finally some optimism. You know we'll steal a game or two from the 4 tough ones on our schedule. Hard to imagine we don't get to 11 wins in ACC play. They aren't just going to roll over. We are a streaky shooting team, when we are hitting from outside we can beat anyone.
There are still plenty of optimistic posters, but many choose not to bang their heads against the wall when the board is overrun with negativity and redundant criticism, especially when they see threads that start out as reasonable, nuanced discussions become polluted.

I agree that we can pick off Louisville, but i'm not sure about the statement that this team was built to win on continuity in a tournament. In fact, i'm not even sure what that means. You build a team to be as good as it can be. The better a team is, the more likely it is to win multiple games in a row.

I agree that we can pick off Louisville, but i'm not sure about the statement that this team was built to win on continuity in a tournament. In fact, i'm not even sure what that means. You build a team to be as good as it can be. The better a team is, the more likely it is to win multiple games in a row.
We’re a team, seemingly, dependant on our three ball falling. We win when the three falls and we get blown out when it doesnt (except ND and Clemson).

This paired with our ironmen returning veterans from last march makes for a team that can be effective (with a hot start) in a tournament format like a conference tourney.

I am obviously not an optimist by nature, but what about the way we have played this year tells you that “you know we will steal a game or two from the 4 tough ones”? Honestly, because we beat Duke without two starters? Great win but even our best wins have blemishes.

8 teams we beat the combined ACC record is 31-60. the 6 teams we face the record is 43-24. just saying.

Last edited:
8 teams we beat the combined ACC record is 31-60. the 6 teams we face the record is 45-24. just saying.
I'll submit that if this team can knock off Duke on road, they have more than a puncher's chance against anyone, anywhere this season. You know that too, because you've been following this program for many years.

followed many many years yes. haven't seen a longer shot than hughes heave. don't expect to see it twice.

8 teams we beat the combined ACC record is 31-60. the 6 teams we face the record is 45-24. just saying.
Facts are facts.

I just can’t count Tyus out going into mid Feb and March. People claim some players to be mentally soft or fragile. I don’t see that. Frank, Oshae, Tyus and Elijah all seem to be very close. They’ll pick eachother up and try to close out this regular season. I don’t believe the players have regressed as substantially as the boards trending to believe in. We saw the “it” vs MSU last year and I believe they’re still capable.

followed many many years yes. haven't seen a longer shot than hughes heave. don't expect to see it twice.
I didn't realize that was the game winning shot. I could have sworn that happened in the first half.

Still got faith in these guys. I think we end up with 10 or 11 wins in conference and get in.

LV game is going to be a war. Lets see if the guys want it. No more half baked effort.

I'll submit that if this team can knock off Duke on road, they have more than a puncher's chance against anyone, anywhere this season. You know that too, because you've been following this program for many years.

Honestly, do you think we would've beaten Duke at Duke if Tre Jones doesn't go down 5 minutes in and they had Cam Reddish in the line up? It was like 14-2 when Jones went down. I was ecstatic of that W, and I do think it was one the greatest regular season wins ever in SU history. But, simply implying that if this team can knock off Duke on the road without objectively looking at the particular scenario, is just, IMO, not being 100% transparent.

Honestly, do you think we would've beaten Duke at Duke if Tre Jones doesn't go down 5 minutes in and they had Cam Reddish in the line up? It was like 14-2 when Jones went down. I was ecstatic of that W, and I do think it was one the greatest regular season wins ever in SU history. But, simply implying that if this team can knock off Duke on the road without objectively looking at the particular scenario, is just, IMO, not being 100% transparent.
It was still a daunting task to overcome the early deficit even without Reddish and Jones. It's not like Duke replaced them with a couple of 5'10, 140-pound walk-ons. But yeah, keep telling us how tarnished that win really was, and how it is indicative of nothing about this SU team or its potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom