1 week rest - we can still do this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

1 week rest - we can still do this

It was still a daunting task to overcome the early deficit even without Reddish and Jones. It's not like Duke replaced them with a couple of 5'10, 140-pound walk-ons. But yeah, keep telling us how tarnished that win really was, and how it is indicative of nothing about this SU team or its potential.

Have I kept telling "us" this? I doubt it, so relax on your patronizing "tarnished" remark. I said I was ecstatic and how it was one of the greatest road regular season wins ever. It's interesting, however, how this "daunting" task though seemingly flipped a switch as soon as Jones went out...no correlation there I guess. Bilas mentioned it several times in the broadcast, as did our own McDonough.

Yes, Duke is loaded with a bunch of Mickey D's, but it's not their #1 Platoon lineup, for lack of a better analogy.
The guy who played in lieu of Reddish, White, was 0-10 from the 3 point line on many wide open looks. He makes just one of those, or Hughes doesn't hit that 75' prayer right before half, we lose that game.

The game next week in the Dome will be quite telling, if both teams are at full strength.

Have I kept telling "us" this? I doubt it, so relax on your patronizing "tarnished" remark. I said I was ecstatic and how it was one of the greatest road regular season wins ever. It's interesting, however, how this "daunting" task though seemingly flipped a switch as soon as Jones went out...no correlation there I guess. Bilas mentioned it several times in the broadcast, as did our own McDonough.

Yes, Duke is loaded with a bunch of Mickey D's, but it's not their #1 Platoon lineup, for lack of a better analogy.
The guy who played in lieu of Reddish, White, was 0-10 from the 3 point line on many wide open looks. He makes just one of those, or Hughes doesn't hit that 75' prayer right before half, we lose that game.

The game next week in the Dome will be quite telling, if both teams are at full strength.
I like how you forgot that O'Connell played 34 minutes for Duke that night and scored an efficient 16 points for them when normally he's just a bit player.

I like how you forgot that O'Connell played 34 minutes for Duke that night and scored an efficient 16 points for them when normally he's just a bit player.
They also had jack white and O’Connell trying to guard battle, which was hilarious.

It’s a great win. We also caught them at a good moment given their injuries. Both can happen. And did happen.

I didn't forget. You're the one that appears hell bent on the fact that Jones going down with the injury 5 minutes in and us down 14-2 was basically irrelevant. Jones' hounding ball pressure was a huge reason for our putrid start, both Frank and Carey struggling considerably with live ball turnovers, not being able to get our offense into any semblance of one, etc. Once Jones was out, our guards were able to take them/have success off the dribble, penetration, etc. Peculiarly, again, you point out that O'Connell played 34 minutes and had an "efficient" 16 points, yet fail to see that his 34 minutes also immensely contributed to our guards success as he was a liability on the defensive end.

Last edited:
I didn't forget. You're the one that appears hell bent on the fact that Jones going down with the injury 5 minutes in and us down 14-2 was basically irrelevant. Jones' hounding ball pressure was a huge reason for our putrid start, both Frank and Carey struggling considerably with live ball turnovers, not being able to get our offense into any semblance of one, etc. Once Jones was out, our guards were able to take them/have success off the dribble, penetration, etc. Peculiarly, again, you point out that O'Connell played 34 minutes and had an "efficient" 16 points, yet fail to see that his 34 minutes also immensely contributed to our guards success as he was a liability on the defensive end.
I surrender, you win. I've adjusted SU's record to 16.2-8.8 overall and 7.2-4.8 in conference, unless you think I'm giving them too much credit.

I surrender, you win. I've adjusted SU's record to 16.2-8.8 overall and 7.2-4.8 in conference, unless you think I'm giving them too much credit.

Trust me, the only win I'm after is the recorded W results when the buzzer goes off. :)

Honestly, do you think we would've beaten Duke at Duke if Tre Jones doesn't go down 5 minutes in and they had Cam Reddish in the line up? It was like 14-2 when Jones went down. I was ecstatic of that W, and I do think it was one the greatest regular season wins ever in SU history. But, simply implying that if this team can knock off Duke on the road without objectively looking at the particular scenario, is just, IMO, not being 100% transparent.
we were going to get boat raced IMHO

LV game is going to be a war. Lets see if the guys want it. No more half baked effort.
After that performance in N.C. state I would actually feel a little better if the team was in fact “half baked” during that game. Similar to me my whole college career - so I would completely understand the sluggish play at least.

FWIW i think it was closer when tre jones went down . we were on a mini run if i recall. you can bet the blue devils will be looking for pay back. i would expect given the chance they run it up big time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom