105 Wins & 73 Losses | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

105 Wins & 73 Losses

I don’t think people realize how much trouble we are in with our offensive strategy.

Sanctions hurt. Focusing on players for the defense hurt our offense.

But we now have a defense *and* now an offense that can be used against us in recruiting.

And we have a coach who only has Cuse players as his assistants.

We’re in more trouble than people think.

I dont know. Were going to have two of the best shooters ever at syracuse over the next few years and some other guard prospects with high ceilings (goodine, carey). Braswell has potential. We have hughes for two more years. Ob for two more years. Only thing lacking is a center.

Literally one solid year puts that all to rest but somehow were in deep trouble?

Also, am i the only one who thinks our incoming recruiting class has a potential to be great/one of our best ever?

It seems a little over the top with the doom and gloom.

Last edited:
it is not just the number of losses, but the fact that many have been embarrassing. jb does what he does. it works sometimes, not as often as previously.

as a fan it is just frustrating to see matchups or gameplans obviously not working and no adjustment from our coach in terms of either strategy or player rotations.
Embarrassing to whom and how? What, did you walk into work yesterday and everyone started making fun of you? I assume you’re an adult living New Mexico. I can’t imagine anyone gives a crap about what happens with your alma mater’s sportsball teams, good or bad.

I dont know. Were going to have two of the best shooters ever at syracuse over the next few years and some other guard prospects with high ceilings (goodine, carey). Braswell has potential. We have hughes for two morw years. Ob for two more years. Only thing lacking is a center.

Literally one solid year puts that all to rest but somehow were in deep trouble?

Also, am i the only one who thinks our incoming recruiting class has a potential to ve great/one of our best ever?

Let's wait until the kid gets on campus.

I dont know. Were going to have two of the best shooters ever at syracuse over the next few years and some other guard prospects with high ceilings (goodine, carey). Braswell has potential. We have hughes for two morw years. Ob for two more years. Only thing lacking is a center.

Also, am i the only one who thinks our incoming recruiting class has a potential to ve great/one of our best ever?
I think it is a solid recruiting class. Needed one of the good bigs we missed out on to make it great.

I’m more concerned about our system than I am about recruiting.

Need to dump the ISO offense.

Nobody plays ISO anymore. That crap is outdated.

We need a system that stresses ball movement and we need guys who can shoot. Our system is outdated for this era of basketball.

No. I like the pieces a lot. Guerrier is a baller and don’t discount JBA. I still think we could have one more in 2019

I’m more concerned about our system than I am about recruiting.

Need to dump the ISO offense.

Nobody plays ISO anymore. That crap is outdated.

We need a system that stresses ball movement and we need guys who can shoot. Our system is outdated for this era of basketball.
The problem is JBs hands are tied. He doesn’t have the players to run a system. He’s said they can’t even remember the plays he does call.

If JBs replacement starts his tenure with a six year run like our last six. Do we keep him?

The development is a real issue. But this offense would look a lot diff with Taurean or Bazley in the middle...
Yeah but all the issues I see fall back on the staff.

The offensive scheme issue - coaching

Players that can’t magically make the system work - recruiting and developing

Having to magically make it work because they’re not developing - coaching

TT leaving i’ll give you as there was undoubtedly foul play on seton hall’s end.

Bazley, we didnt have a big man coming in anyways which seems to be a major reoccurring issue. Bazley would’ve been great but in the end hes a skinny tall freshman. Who knows if he’d help strengthen the zone we won’t abandon and grab the defensive boards we systematically dont box out for.

The problem is JBs hands are tied. He doesn’t have the players to run a system. He’s said they can’t even remember the plays he does call.

Battle's been great, but there's a reason so few players play that style anymore. It's outdated.

You can't have a 2 guard that shoots 30% from 3 and dominates the ball. You can't have a SF that can't shoot into the ocean.

Virginia's bigs are nothing special and Villanova has got by without bigs as well, but both programs stress shooting and ball movement.

Yeah but all the issues I see fall back on the staff.

The offensive scheme issue - coaching

Players that can’t magically make the system work - recruiting and developing

Having to magically make it work because they’re not developing - coaching

TT leaving i’ll give you as there was undoubtedly foul play on seton hall’s end.

Bazley, we didnt have a big man coming in anyways which seems to be a major reoccurring issue. Bazley would’ve been great but in the end hes a skinny tall freshman. Who knows if he’d help strengthen the zone we won’t abandon and grab the defensive boards we systematically dont box out for.
We already had two bigs we thought could handle it. Bazley would’ve looked much better than MD in the middle

Battle's been great, but there's a reason so few players play that style anymore. It's outdated.

You can't have a 2 guard that shoots 30% from 3 and dominates the ball. You can't have a SF that can't shoot into the ocean.

Virginia's bigs are nothing special and Villanova has got by without bigs as well, but both programs stress shooting and ball movement.
Don’t disagree. Battle grew up in the Kobe era and the game moved on. Always wonder if he would’ve even played at Duke or Michigan...

If JBs replacement starts his tenure with a six year run like our last six. Do we keep him?

Yes, assuming that attendance doesn’t dip. Gotta think at some point our style, lack of talent, and mediocre regular season records will have an adverse effect on attendance. Despite the NCAAT success.

We already had two bigs we thought could handle it. Bazley would’ve looked much better than MD in the middle

He would have, but thats an issue in itself. Bazley would’ve likely had to split time in the middle of the zone because our big man recruiting’s been a series of misses since Rak. Something has to change where we don’t need to rely on lanky forwards to be pushed around by acc centers and bigger power forwards.

Chukwu’s honestly been better than many here will ever credit. But he is what he is. It’s taken years for him to develop into just not being the foul magnet Bourama currently is.

My point is, recruiting and development are that big of an issue. JB may actually not be 100% to blame but so long as changes arent visible beneath him then it may as well be.

Edit: coleman was not a miss, just terribly unfortunate injury issues. I’ll correct myself there.

I dont know. Were going to have two of the best shooters ever at syracuse over the next few years and some other guard prospects with high ceilings (goodine, carey). Braswell has potential. We have hughes for two more years. Ob for two more years. Only thing lacking is a center.

Also, am i the only one who thinks our incoming recruiting class has a potential to be great/one of our best ever?

Let's see how it plays out before we anoint the next great shooter (even though I'm with you on this, just not to the extent you say).

My biggest issue is that we won't change and there isn't anyone on the staff that will challenge JB.

We are lacking way more than a center, though. If we don't have an offense that works, it doesn't matter who we put out there. Our overall ability with respect to ball handling is below average to bad. We don't have guys who are very powerful. We don't have guys who are natural facilitators. Combine it with our offense, and we are in the muck.

When you have less talent the last thing you want to do is give players more freedom and freelance on offense. This team needs more structure and continuity on offense. JB won’t do this. This team is very easy to defend and our style only makes it worse. You might get away with this playing against average teams, but not the better teams. We’ve only beat teams in the bottom half of the conference.
That’s news to Louisville and Duke.

ill bet 80 percent of teams would love to be a .600 record team the last 4-5 years in the ACC

Uh, but Syracuse isn't 80% of teams. Most of the posters here wouldn't buy tickets, wouldn't waste time talking about Syracuse basketball on the internet if Syracuse were 80% of teams. From 1976 to 2014, Syracuse was a 99th-percentile type of team, and some fans are upset because that's no longer the case.

#'s do not lie

Feb 14th - 2014 - 25-0 streak ended with a loss against BC
2013–14 Syracuse Orange men's basketball team - Wikipedia

That team had 7 - yes 7 SU players drafted, signed as free agents by NBA teams - some never made it to the show, but all were at least on G teams - 7 players from that team is just incredible

Since then our record 105 wins & 73 losses

This is not about sanctions, did we stop recruiting players? We had less slots to give so yes we had to have a better batting average and yes we were limited to coaches on the road, however deal with the cards you are dealt, the record is the record , you still signed kids

Our offense is not an offense

Read the recent article about Tyus and the NBA scouts - embarrassing - about 6 scouts commented on his game and each basically said he plays 1 on 1 basketball up at SU b/c they do not run offense

We have a coach unwilling to make changes, the broken record continues every game, make a change please, put in different players, i for one would have liked to see Braswell play some, take Oshae out some, not the entire game, but give him a chance, JB is the only head coach in america who talks about well they are freshmen, yes freshmen are the kids that make up the largest % of the nba draft each season

i can't even watch frank howard play basketball anymore, hurt or not, can JB make an adjustment? I mean the guy was so bad vs VA, he has been horrible all season, i feel bad for him, but he is not getting any better with age, this is not a fine wine, we had 3 PG's to start the year, 2 of them just sit on the bench,

what about talking to the press and just providing more and more info to our competition - like - why is he telling the press that Elijah is just not ready, he can't drive around anyone or continue to insult Pascal about what he is NOT

Does "Inspire" exist in that locker room?

Or embarrassing the kids during post game press conferences - just ask Oshae how he feels

I wish each of you could see the 2 hour practices each day - I have only witnessed JB sitting on his chair and watching them run up and down the court, he is not involved with any of the 1st hour of practice, he watches while the other coaches are with their groups

I have never seen JB on the court with the players working before or after practice - never, now, maybe he does, but maybe he doesn't, i just find it very strange

He does not relate to the kids today, i thought it would be different w/ Buddy on the team, but it's not

This is about coaching & recruiting

We are no longer a tier 1 program, clearly middle of the pack

Why should we think the future should be any better w/out changes?

(Gilardino - thanks for the info)

Time for changes to be made
as a poster here you're a complete fraud

They might be able to shoot but can they create the space they need to get their shots off? Buddy can't get his own shot today. Can JG3? If they can't do we have someone or a system to create shots for them? Right now the answer is no.

It’s also very clear that we missed on recruits we needed (Bryant, quade, stew, Tucker, huerter) had some departures we didn’t need (Mali, Lydon, Taurean) and had guys that didn’t work (kaleb and Moyer). There’s been a confluence of issues and it all relates back to sanctions.

But do you think SU lost any of those recruits (I've heard it speculated that that was the case with Huerter) because of sanctions?

Obviously sanctions didn't help. But it's kind of a nebulous reason that I've seen thrown around without a lot of hard evidence. What got the ball rolling on the program's decline? This is an interesting topic for discussion.

I'm of the opinion that 25-0 was, as someone else put it, the inflection point; the situation was enormously aggravated by three departures on both sides of that downturn: Carter-Williams (who coaches thought was a three-year player in summer 2012) the season before, and Grant and Ennis a couple months after. That wrecked the foundation of the program and created a vicious cycle of kids getting minutes too early and either burning out (Joseph) or getting featured to a degree that spun them up the ladder sooner than expected (Richardson).

I could see sanctions being an aggravating factor here: with early departures, Boeheim needed to replenish but couldn't. But I never got the sense that it was the sanctions that were the obstacle - SU missed on top-end recruits and some of the more middling players on the team didn't develop or were run off. In a sanctions-free alternate reality, how would recruiting have shaken out in 2015 and onward?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom