105 Wins & 73 Losses | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

105 Wins & 73 Losses

Zero percent chance JB is forced out any time soon. Everyone clamoring that a change is needed honestly need to and find a new team, because these endless posts about change needed are tiresome and annoying. Make the change personally and move on.

My guess is this will play out somewhat similar to football, where the next guy struggles. My hope is we don’t turn into Indiana - a once-power program that is now borderline irrelevant. Anyone that underplays that risk MASSIVELY understates the risk in replacing a HOF coach.

Battle's been great, but there's a reason so few players play that style anymore. It's outdated.

You can't have a 2 guard that shoots 30% from 3 and dominates the ball. You can't have a SF that can't shoot into the ocean.

Virginia's bigs are nothing special and Villanova has got by without bigs as well, but both programs stress shooting and ball movement.
Which is why I don’t get why fans wouldn’t want a guy like Tony Bennett here. He’s absolutely the perfect guy. Give him the Dome and our basketball tradition and dang...

Plus JB thinks he’s the best

SUs last 30-40 years is littered with disappointing results to SU fans. People forget how many losses our “great” teams in the 80s/90s had. How many games did Red lose as a PG? Now you have 18 conference games in the best conf in hoops. We cannot load up on East Texas State games anymore.
Went back and looked. Red lost 32 reg season games over 4 years.

Zero percent chance JB is forced out any time soon. Everyone clamoring that a change is needed honestly need to and find a new team, because these endless posts about change needed are tiresome and annoying. Make the change personally and move on.

My guess is this will play out somewhat similar to football, where the next guy struggles. My hope is we don’t turn into Indiana - a once-power program that is now borderline irrelevant. Anyone that underplays that risk MASSIVELY understates the risk in replacing a HOF coach.

Aren't we already fairly irrelevant? This will be the 5th straight year that we aren't even ranked in the final AP poll. 5th straight year with 13+ losses.

Which is why I don’t get why fans wouldn’t want a guy like Tony Bennett here. He’s absolutely the perfect guy. Give him the Dome and our basketball tradition and dang...

Plus JB thinks he’s the best

Who wouldn't want Tony Bennett here? Those people are morons.

Let's see how it plays out before we anoint the next great shooter (even though I'm with you on this, just not to the extent you say).

My biggest issue is that we won't change and there isn't anyone on the staff that will challenge JB.

We are lacking way more than a center, though. If we don't have an offense that works, it doesn't matter who we put out there. Our overall ability with respect to ball handling is below average to bad. We don't have guys who are very powerful. We don't have guys who are natural facilitators. Combine it with our offense, and we are in the muck.
They might be able to shoot but can they create the space they need to get their shots off? Buddy can't get his own shot today. Can JG3? If they can't do we have someone or a system to create shots for them? Right now the answer is no.

solid posts.

to mike, we may not need to change if the next iteration of players runs it better. the offense has worked in the past. its even looked good at times this year. theres no reason why it wouldn't work in the future. has the team struggled on offense in recent years? sure has. but again, that doesnt mean it wont work in the future.

to foo, great question. buddy is getting a fair amount of good looks this year already. not sure why that wouldn't continue/improve. he even has that little drive to a pull up 15 footer that he seems to make consistently. regarding jg3, i tend to think hes a bit slow and deliberate while dribbling but the kid literally needs the smallest of spaces to get a shot off. hes also more athletic then buddy, although smaller. having two shooters like that on the court seems insane to me. it will open up the guards to drive and defense will be left with impossible choice of either to help defense or leave their guy open. i personally think its going to be lethal but time will tell.

also a friendly reminder to everyone that in our last three games v top 5 teams, which all happened in the past two weeks, we were up at half. we cant be all that bad.

solid posts.

to mike, we may not need to change if the next iteration of players runs it better. the offense has worked in the past. its even looked good at times this year. theres no reason why it wouldn't work in the future.

to foo, great question. buddy is getting a fair amount of good looks this year already. not sure why that wouldn't continue/improve. he even has that little drive to a pull up 15 footer that he seems to make consistently. regarding jg3, i tend to think hes a bit slow and deliberate while dribbling but the kid literally needs the smallest of spaces to get a shot off. hes also more athletic then buddy, although smaller. having two shooters like that on the court seems insane to me. it will open up the guards to drive and defense will be left with impossible choice of either to help defense or leave their guy open. i personally think its going to be lethal but time will tell.

That space decreases when the player guarding him is taller, which is likely. Expectations must be low for most incoming freshman because you are asking for let down. Look at Carey this year. Girard will be the 4th guard on the roster, which assumes Battle moves on with his next journey.

That space decreases when the player guarding him is taller, which is likely. Expectations must be low for most incoming freshman because you are asking for let down. Look at Carey this year. Girard will be the 4th guard on the roster, which assumes Battle moves on with his next journey.

it wouldnt surprise me if girard doesnt have a great first year, but i tend to think it will be hard to keep a shooter like that off the court. also, if hes the fourth guard on the roster, we start three, so...

edit: i was counting hughes as a third guard. if you consider him a forward, then i tend to think jg will be the third guard, behind carey and buddy. i like howard washington, but i think jg jumps him.

edit 2: i guess we probably wont see carey buddy and jg3 all on the floor at the same time due to defense so that would restrict available minutes for jg3.

Last edited:
ill bet 80 percent of teams would love to be a .600 record team the last 4-5 years in the ACC
We should never be lumped with the 80 percent. That's the problem.

If JBs replacement starts his tenure with a six year run like our last six. Do we keep him?
YOu'd have to look at the overall circumstances but I would say NO. We're only putting up with this current slide because of JB's body of work.

both recruiting and coaching were badly hurt by, wait for it, the sanctions. The sanctions really hurt our recruiting. The sanctions are at the top of the list. .
So by your theory, we should be seeing an uptick in recruiting any day now. Well, we're waiting.

it wouldnt surprise me if girard doesnt have a great first year, but i tend to think it will be hard to keep a shooter like that off the court. also, if hes the fourth guard on the roster, we start three, so...

edit: i was counting hughes as a third guard. if you consider him a forward, then i tend to think jg will be the third guard, behind carey and buddy. i like howard washington, but i think jg jumps him.

edit 2: i guess we probably wont see carey buddy and jg3 all on the floor at the same time due to defense so that would restrict available minutes for jg3.
JG3 is not going to contribute year 1. He is behind Jalen, Buddy and Goodine and Eli who will probably move up top next year with Marek/Guincy/OB as the forward rotation. People need to stop watching taps of JG3 scoring 80 points against terrible competition. Watch his AAU tape where he averages like 10 points a game. He is 6'1" and not athletic. He is a version of Buddy that is 4 inches shorter and has 1 less year in our system and 1 less lifetime watching tape on the zone and our team.

YOu'd have to look at the overall circumstances but I would say NO. We're only putting up with this current slide because of JB's body of work.

So youre canning a coach that made the final four at a 33.3% clip?

JG3 is not going to contribute year 1. He is behind Jalen, Buddy and Goodine and Eli who will probably move up top next year with Marek/Guincy/OB as the forward rotation. People need to stop watching taps of JG3 scoring 80 points against terrible competition. Watch his AAU tape where he averages like 10 points a game. He is 6'1" and not athletic. He is a version of Buddy that is 4 inches shorter and has 1 less year in our system and 1 less lifetime watching tape on the zone and our team.

I think it will be very interesting to see. I said it wouldnt surprise me if he struggles his first year. But I am not as definitive as you that that will happen. If i had your foresight, i guess id be a rich man off of vegas and the stock market.

Thanks for the edits.

I do not consider Hughes to be a guard. I find him strictly a small forward. I also consider Girard to be behind Carey, Buddy, and Howard. And the thought of Carey, Buddy, and Girard on the floor together just seems way unrealistic.

Thanks for the edits.

I do not consider Hughes to be a guard. I find him strictly a small forward. I also consider Girard to be behind Carey, Buddy, and Howard. And the thought of Carey, Buddy, and Girard on the floor together just seems way unrealistic.

Time will tell. I think well both be happy if jg turns out to contribute from day 1. There are rotational limitations that will factor in, which we both point out, but i think jg jumps washington, which seems to be our main disagreement.

So by your theory, we should be seeing an uptick in recruiting any day now. Well, we're waiting.
What are you waiting for? Recruiting did have a uptick this year. QG was at the top of our board. Goodine is a very good player. We missed out on our bigs. And...

Change doesn't have to mean forcing JB out. HE needs to change and better coach up his players and their abilities. The system may not need to be scrapped, but it certainly needs tweaking. Our offense is absolutely disgusting and there's no reason to continue with the same exact "system" every year.

We already are almost irrelevant. We barely get ESPN games except against Duke or a top 5 UVa/UNC. We won't be ranked or receive a protected seed yet again. We'd be squarely on the bubble again, if there were more competent teams this year. How exactly is this program anything but a mid-tier afterthought at this point?

#'s do not lie

Feb 14th - 2014 - 25-0 streak ended with a loss against BC
2013–14 Syracuse Orange men's basketball team - Wikipedia

That team had 7 - yes 7 SU players drafted, signed as free agents by NBA teams - some never made it to the show, but all were at least on G teams - 7 players from that team is just incredible

Since then our record 105 wins & 73 losses

This is not about sanctions, did we stop recruiting players? We had less slots to give so yes we had to have a better batting average and yes we were limited to coaches on the road, however deal with the cards you are dealt, the record is the record , you still signed kids

Our offense is not an offense

Read the recent article about Tyus and the NBA scouts - embarrassing - about 6 scouts commented on his game and each basically said he plays 1 on 1 basketball up at SU b/c they do not run offense

We have a coach unwilling to make changes, the broken record continues every game, make a change please, put in different players, i for one would have liked to see Braswell play some, take Oshae out some, not the entire game, but give him a chance, JB is the only head coach in america who talks about well they are freshmen, yes freshmen are the kids that make up the largest % of the nba draft each season

i can't even watch frank howard play basketball anymore, hurt or not, can JB make an adjustment? I mean the guy was so bad vs VA, he has been horrible all season, i feel bad for him, but he is not getting any better with age, this is not a fine wine, we had 3 PG's to start the year, 2 of them just sit on the bench,

what about talking to the press and just providing more and more info to our competition - like - why is he telling the press that Elijah is just not ready, he can't drive around anyone or continue to insult Pascal about what he is NOT

Does "Inspire" exist in that locker room?

Or embarrassing the kids during post game press conferences - just ask Oshae how he feels

I wish each of you could see the 2 hour practices each day - I have only witnessed JB sitting on his chair and watching them run up and down the court, he is not involved with any of the 1st hour of practice, he watches while the other coaches are with their groups

I have never seen JB on the court with the players working before or after practice - never, now, maybe he does, but maybe he doesn't, i just find it very strange

He does not relate to the kids today, i thought it would be different w/ Buddy on the team, but it's not

This is about coaching & recruiting

We are no longer a tier 1 program, clearly middle of the pack

Why should we think the future should be any better w/out changes?

(Gilardino - thanks for the info)

Time for changes to be made

I love this post. So, is your suggestion that JB was a phenomenal coach when we were 25-0 and then simply fell off the map? Do you think it's worth mentioning that in that time frame we've been to a final four and a sweet 16? I only mention this b/c if we were winning a ton of games but losing early in march, JB would get crushed for that as well, so it's at least worth mentioning. How about other mitigating factors that have contributed to some of the struggles the past few years?

But all of that aside -- we've obviously not been hitting on all cylinders the past four or five years. Our offense is frustrating. JB is old. None of that is debatable. But what are the changes? I would be in favor of maybe shaking up an assistant. I think changing head coaches is two things: 1) Far more expensive than maybe we're actually ready to cough up; and 2) no guarantee. It's harder than people think and it's going to cost a ton -- which I"m fine with but we've never seen our AD spend that way.

So whatever. I understand the frustration and this program doesn't seem like a lot of fun to be around these days but I think the idea that we just find a new head coach and recapture the glory is largely fantasy.

ill bet 80 percent of teams would love to be a .600 record team the last 4-5 years in the ACC
I'd love to be a .600 team in the ACC. Instead, we're 3 games over .500 the past 5 seasons...

What are you waiting for? Recruiting did have a uptick this year. QG was at the top of our board. Goodine is a very good player. We missed out on our bigs. And...
Yea that's kind of a big deal. Seeing as we have playing time to sell and can't even get a serious look from anyone who's an impact player. Seeing as JB's ISO system relies heavily on talent. This has been a major problem.

A small uptick isn't going to get us anywhere unless you like being a middle of the pack ACC team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom