105 Wins & 73 Losses | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

105 Wins & 73 Losses

My phone auto changes it so I blame my stupid phone for the misspelling.

46-43 is mediocre. We have finished
9th, 9th, 8th, 11th, 6th or 7th in the standings the last 5 years out of 15 teams.
If being on average 8th of 15 isn’t mediocre then okay.

The last 5 years we have been an average ACC program. It’s okay to say that as I have confidence the program will get better.

OK, we have been a mediocre ACC team.

What are you waiting for? Recruiting did have a uptick this year. QG was at the top of our board. Goodine is a very good player. We missed out on our bigs. And...
What do you think of Girard? Could he be like the Guy kid from UVA by the time he is finishing his sophomore year or as a junior? Guy is listed at 6'2", 175 and can shoot the lights out. I have read various opinions here on him but he is interesting to me as a shooter which is really what we need. I don't know if he can play the top of the zone but the game is an offensive game today.

My phone auto changes it so I blame my stupid phone for the misspelling.
Your phone changes many spellings on many of your posts.

What do you think of Girard? Could he be like the Guy kid from UVA by the time he is finishing his sophomore year or as a junior? Guy is listed at 6'2", 175 and can shoot the lights out. I have read various opinions here on him but he is interesting to me as a shooter which is really what we need. I don't know if he can play the top of the zone but the game is an offensive game today.
I don't know about JG. One way or the other.

Well, that's true. You couldn't have. ;)
But lots of others could have, can, and will.

So - the "unknown" we're "stuck with", is that we have an older coach? EGADS!!!
How come Duke, UNC, Miami, FSU, et. al. - also aren't dealing with this horror like we, and only we, are?

Have you checked those guys ages out?
Let's put it this way - they're all well beyond being eligible for Medicaid.

Please name the Head Coach In Waiting at any other P5 with an older coach.
We'll wait here...

JB CLEARLY was not done wanting to coach.
That 9 game suspension probably proved it to him, beyond any shadow of a doubt.
And Hop knew it.

And then there was the chance to coach his son.
Which he's now doing.

Go out a winner?
The dude has LITERALLY NEVER HAD A LOSING SEASON. EVER.
this is fine but the go out a winner is way off. if you think JB wants to go out 19-12 as an 9 seed in the tourney than there is no point in us talking. the bigger point is that i fear we are due for a huge market correction when it comes to the fanbase. i'm absolutely positive that there are an increased number of folks that buy season tickets so they can flip them. as long as the team underperforms, it will chip away at attendance and i don't think people are ready to handle what rock bottom can be. the students are already dwindling unless its Duke. just be ready buddy

I don't question your intelligence btw.
No offense taken my mistake deserves to be corrected.
However it truly is my phone that autocorrects.
It changes a lot of words that I have edit after the fact.

Just updating myself on this thread, (the last 3 pages), I've seen posters say that we are "stuck in mediocrity", that "a lot of that's been bad more than good" and "What did we have, 7 guys and 2 or 3 were injured? I mean, I'm tired of excuses. That's just terrible roster management. Injuries happen, but you should still have enough bodies to field a team".

Mediocrity means average, a .500 team. we had our last .500 team in 1969-70. 105-73 is not mediocrity. The issue is: it's not elite and we think of ourselves as elite. There has been more good than bad in that stretch, just not as much more as we are used to. And last year we fielded a Sweet 16 team, one that might have been an Elite 8 team if the refs hadn't put Dolezaj in foul trouble. It just wasn't a powerhouse team, which we would like be again.

Overstating things doesn't make your opinion seem more valid.

Since spelling has been pointed out in this thread, and that poster has not taken any offense, hopefully none will be taken here either. In the United States, commas and periods go inside of quotation marks. :)

this is fine but the go out a winner is way off. if you think JB wants to go out 19-12 as an 9 seed in the tourney than there is no point in us talking. the bigger point is that i fear we are due for a huge market correction when it comes to the fanbase. i'm absolutely positive that there are an increased number of folks that buy season tickets so they can flip them. as long as the team underperforms, it will chip away at attendance and I don't think people are ready to handle what rock bottom can be. the students are already DWINDLING unless its Duke.
Yes, I can see the effect as we speak. Woe is us...:rolleyes:
Syracuse set to reclaim NCAA basketball attendance crown

We fudged the numbers or we might not have an attendance crown (unsure about the math but that’s what I read)
there is no way in hell that there were 29k at the virginia game, but that is not the point of this thread

No offense taken my mistake deserves to be corrected.
However it truly is my phone that autocorrects.
It changes a lot of words that I have edit after the fact.
i can't believe it is just the phone but your posts are also formatted weird. i am afraid to respond to you because you will probably say that i ruin everything. it's the phone i get it, you are totally normal.

You are better person that myself.
I don’t really think the 105-73 is that impressive when you factor in all the cupcake OOC games.
Colgate, Cornell, and those low D-1 teams are basically on the schedule for guaranteed wins.
I give JB credit for his always being competitive record wise when we are mediocre. He deserves credit for that.
I wonder how much over .500 we are in the ACC play and against P5/BE teams.

There are very few actual cupcakes anymore. Scheduling more than about 4 of them is out of the question from a (formerly known as) RPI perspective. We now schedule mid-majors in place of true cupcakes, and that keeps us in the discussion for tournament berths every year, even when we are losing 10+ games.

this is fine but the go out a winner is way off. if you think JB wants to go out 19-12 as an 9 seed in the tourney than there is no point in us talking. the bigger point is that i fear we are due for a huge market correction when it comes to the fanbase. i'm absolutely positive that there are an increased number of folks that buy season tickets so they can flip them. as long as the team underperforms, it will chip away at attendance and i don't think people are ready to handle what rock bottom can be. the students are already dwindling unless its Duke. just be ready buddy

It's a really good thing football is trending back up.
It's just too bad that football doesn't play 20 home games every year like hoops does.

If we hire an unprepared assistant and tank, it's not going to be pretty on the hill if attendance falls to about 12,000 per game. They'll need to cut a couple sports teams if it goes on too long. That's why the university has to take this situation seriously.

I'm beginning to agree with what someone said earlier in this thread, who thinks that Wildhack is in the bag for whatever JB wants. Wildhack might wind up losing his job over being persuaded to hire Red Autry, and if that's the decision Wildhack is willing to make because JB says so, then maybe Wildhack losing his job a couple years later won't be a bad thing.

He needs to show independent judgment on this. If he can't do that, then we will need somebody better to fix the mess.

Yeah, that is what I am saying. How about this, even in our dips, we have made runs in the tournament. We went through the sanctions and still managed to matter in March.
In your opinion why didn't we land a 5 this year given the fact we have such a huge need? Especially given the fact they would without a doubt have been a starter or seen extensive playing time. Did we target the wrong kids, put too much emphasis on Stewart? It just doesn't make any sense how we lost out on all of them.

The reason this is a five-page thread in a matter of hours is because there's at least some merit to what the original poster said.

Sanctions, coaching, recruiting, all of it plays a role. But I guess my question to everyone here is this: How do you measure a season of SU basketball and call it a successful one?

In 2005-06, we stunk in the regular season and made a miraculous run in the Big East Tournament. Won the title then lost in the first round. I would consider that a successful season, based on who was on the team and who we had lost the year before.

Even last year, we lost five guys (Roberson, Lydon, White, Gillon & Thompson) who had started games for us and added just two players - Brissett & Dolezaj - that would help our team immediately. They weren't very good in the regular season, barely made the NCAA Tournament but made a Sweet 16 run. I would consider that a successful season considering what we had to work with.

But this year is completely different. We had all five starters back, added a transfer who was ballyhooed by our head coach as being a premier offensive talent, added a Top 50 point guard, added an elite level shooter and had a couple guys coming off injury that were presumably healthy and ready to go.

Losing Howard hurt to start the season and do I know what this team would look like with the summer version of Frank at this point in time? No. I wish I knew. But there has been an alarming regression of some players, others have been basically the same and it appears to me, at least, that there is just an overall lack of adjustment to what we have and who we have. Offensive philosophy, defensive philosophy. It's all the same, no matter what. No matter who is on the team, no matter what injuries there are. It just is.

This season still has a long way to go. The team could absolutely get on a run to end the season -- win against Clemson, beat Miami in the opening round and even beat Duke or UNC in the quarterfinals. Who knows, quite honestly. Then they get a six or seven seed in the NCAA's, avoid playing #1 until the regional final and make an Elite 8. I'd consider that a positive year.

But the roster composition recently has been very worrisome, the talent level (and as mentioned before, the lack of improvement of players from year to year) is not what it needs to be to compete for Top 25 status and the brand of basketball just seems stale to me. And as I mentioned a long time ago on this very board and stick by today -- something needs to change.
For me personally i measure SU as follows.
1: Regular season. 20 wins, top 5 in ACC regular season, minimum of 1 bye and 1 conference tournament win. Finish the regular season top 25.
2: Post season. Sweet 16 or better. Finish the season ranked in top 25.
3: Recruiting. Finish minimally with a top 30 ranked class.

Firstly it's "mediocre" not "medicore". However you spell it, 46-43 in the country's best conference is not mediocre. 31-3 vs. mid majors is not mediocre. 7-2 in the NCAAs is not mediocre, especially with a Final Four. 8-15 vs. PS/BE is bad. 1-3 in ACCT is bad. if you want to complain, complain about that.

My position is that we still have a good program but we haven't been elite over this period as we were from 2008-2014. Our problem is that we want to get back to that and it's hard to see how we will the way things have been going. But maybe things will turn around again.

I think you and Alsacs are in violent agreement, just debating semantics.
Both of you agree that we are not up to our historical standards.

I think you and Alsacs are in violent agreement, just debating semantics.
Both of you agree that we are not up to our historical standards.

In your opinion why didn't we land a 5 this year given the fact we have such a huge need? Especially given the fact they would without a doubt have been a starter or seen extensive playing time. Did we target the wrong kids, put too much emphasis on Stewart? It just doesn't make any sense how we lost out on all of them.
We did land a 5 this year. And we missed on the others we were seeking.

Guy is a GREAT athlete, insane dunker as well...Joe doesnt have close the athleticism Guy has but shooting wise can definitely reach his levels with some improvement and I expect that to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom