10th full time assistant | Syracusefan.com

10th full time assistant

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
It looks like it's headed in the direction for the 10th full time assistant to get approved. What position group would you prefer we hire someone for? I really haven't decided - just looking to start a discussion.

It looks like it's headed in the direction for the 10th full time assistant to get approved. What position group would you prefer we hire someone for? I really haven't decided - just looking to start a discussion.

Safety
Cornerback
Linebacker
Defensive end
Defensive tackle
Offensive line (tackles / guards center)
Tight end
Wide receiver
Running back
Quarterback

Safety
Cornerback
Linebacker
Defensive end
Defensive tackle
Tight end
Wide receiver
Running back
Quarterback

Somehow my math is not adding up or my brain is tired. We have 9 right now with Vinson Reynolds handling the whole defensive line and Nick Monroe the whole secondary. Somehow your list adds up to 10 with both of those splitting up into 2 separate coaches.

Somehow my math is not adding up or my brain is tired. We have 9 right now with Vinson Reynolds handling the whole defensive line and Nick Monroe the whole secondary. Somehow your list adds up to 10 with both of those splitting up into 2 separate coaches.

Phat forgot the OC and DC

Phat forgot the OC and DC

Aha I knew there was something. I kept looking at the SU website and comparing the list. I would also look at special teams or my second choice would be splitting the corners and safeties into two coaches.

Tough call. The 10th guy could be valuable many ways. Specials are always a need. That said, we probably need another set of eyes on the Dline and secondary. Defense in general. Great to see dollars allocated to the coaching staff;)

I didn't include coordinators. Just positions. Coordinators are also position coaches. Have to be. Can't have just a full time specials coordinator, what's he going to do when the team is in their position groups or running Offense defense. Which is probably 95% of the practice

I'd probably lean towards splitting the corners and safeties

To add another part to my question, is there any particular recruiting territory you would also try to add with this hire?

HC
OC/ QBs
DC/ another position
OL
WR
TE
DL
LB
DB

Make the 10th coach Special teams.

The problem with a dedicated special teams coach is that there's not enough for him to do on a daily basis. College football is all about development, and no one is going to be a dedicated special teams player. So unless there's someone who is a kicking coach, it wouldn't make sense.

I'm interested to see if schools hire a specific recruiting coach. Could see an SEC program doing it. A school like Bama could hire Locksley to just go recruit full time.

Safety
Cornerback
Linebacker
Defensive end
Defensive tackle
Tight end
Wide receiver
Running back
Quarterback
No special teams?

hire that dude who posts here bitching and moaning that SU didn't hire him full time.

I didn't include coordinators. Just positions. Coordinators are also position coaches. Have to be. Can't have just a full time specials coordinator, what's he going to do when the team is in their position groups or running Offense defense. Which is probably 95% of the practice

I'd probably lean towards splitting the corners and safeties

I didn't think DC's Ward or Bullough coached a position. Am I mistaken?

Safety
Cornerback
Linebacker
Defensive end
Defensive tackle
Tight end
Wide receiver
Running back
Quarterback
Combine TE and WR
Add special teams

Here’s the current staff and responsibilities:

1. Brian Ward Defensive Coordinator

2. Sean Lewis Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

3. Mike Lynch Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line

4. Kim McCloud Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers

5. Tom Kaufman Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers

6. Reno Ferri Tight Ends

7. Mike Hart Running Backs

8. Nick Monroe Secondary

9. Vinson Reynolds Defensive Line

If #10 is added on offense, I’d remove the co-coordinator designations and promote one to full-time coordinator (give the other a meaningless AHC title for consolation if needed). Then bring in one more to have dedicated QB and Line coaches.

If #10 is added on defense, I’d split the secondary into Cornerback and Safety coaches. I’d prefer that one of these is also the Special Teams coach instead of the LB coach, as they should be able to cover for each other when the coach is working with specials.

I think the second option of adding a 5th coach on the D-side has the most benefit. However, didn't Dino use multiple WR coaches in the past? Inside/outside or something like that?

Last edited:
As I mentioned in the coaching carousel thread, Chris White was dropped by Iowa. I'd like to have him back here. Either him or Nick Saban.

As I mentioned in the coaching carousel thread, Chris White was dropped by Iowa. I'd like to have him back here. Either him or Nick Saban.

wont happen but white would definitley give us a boost in the Philly/DC market to go with Reno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom