14-4, 9-9, 9-9, 10-8, | Syracusefan.com

14-4, 9-9, 9-9, 10-8,

what was our record against providence again? like 70-30 or something or maybe more lopsided.

Since that 12-0 conference start that inaugural season, our ACC record is 36-37...with zero ACC tournament victories...so 36-40 including same. Getting our first ACC tourney victory this year is likely no better than 50/50...this is our 5th ACC season. The overall record speaks for itself...and meets the textbook definition of mediocrity.

Was...

Yup. Past performance future whatever.

I know this team isn't worth staying up beyond midnight...
I wasn't the one making providence references, I was just pointing out that it is a bad reference

Since that 12-0 conference start that inaugural season, our ACC record is 36-37...with zero ACC tournament victories...so 36-40 including same. Getting our first ACC tourney victory this year is likely no better than 50/50...this is our 5th ACC season. The overall record speaks for itself...and meets the textbook definition of mediocrity.
just a quibble because I don't necessarily disagree that the results have been disappointing, but I think the "textbook definition of mediocrity" (first of all I don't think there is such a thing) would pertain to the sport as a whole moreso than just performance in the most competitive college basketball conference ever assembled. I would think that most discerning observers could take note that being .500 in the ACC is different than having a similar record in virtually any of the other few dozen conferences.

Providence has made 4 NCAA tournaments in that period. We have made 2.
Providence? Who gives a rat-infested azz about Providence?
Seriously, when you start comparing our program to the likes of PC...with a straight face, no less? Really? That’s when you have to wonder about perspective.
Providence is not our peer. Get real!
Sheesh.

Seriously, when you start comparing our program to the likes of PC...with a straight face, no less? Really? That’s when you have to wonder about perspective.
Sheesh.

Who am I supposed to compare us to?

Who am I supposed to compare us to?
If you have to ask that question then i don’t know what to tell you. Our program can’t be measured in, by our lofty standards, a four year span, against the likes of a Providence. They made a F4 in ‘87, for Pete’s sake. They string together a few tournaments and suddenly, they’re our peer? At our worst, we’ve been NIT and a winning record. That doesn’t go out the window because of a 4 year “rough patch”, that in case you forgot, also included another F4.
Its ridiculous, lazy, and illogical to do so. JMHO

More depressing than I thought. Thanks. I'd rather be Providence.

This providence stuff is laughable. I mean, we've been brutal. Brutal. And we need to be better. But Providence's high-water mark for wins in the watered-down BE is 11. I mean, do people really think we wouldn't have a much prettier looking record -- even if we still weren't particularly good -- if we were playing in that conference? I mean, come on folks. This is an ugly stretch and it needs to improve, but we had the same conference record as PC last year and they lost in the first four.

This providence stuff is laughable. I mean, we've been brutal. Brutal. And we need to be better. But Providence's high-water mark for wins in the watered-down BE is 11. I mean, do people really think we wouldn't have a much prettier looking record -- even if we still weren't particularly good -- if we were playing in that conference? I mean, come on folks. This is an ugly stretch and it needs to improve, but we had the same conference record as PC last year and they lost in the first four.

More gimme games in the ACC than the BE which is kinda crazy, but it's true.

More gimme games in the ACC than the BE which is kinda crazy, but it's true.

more teams

prov is a major beneficiary of not having to play us, louisville, dixon's pitt, wvu, whoConn or ND any more in league play. any given year at least 4 of those programs are better

So 48-37 in the ACC. Got it.

It's a lot worse than you guys are admitting. Did you realize that in the last eight years this program is 1 - 74? Just think about that for a second. 1... and... seventy-four.

Don't you apologists come in squawking about the other 208 wins either. I can hear you now. We all know 200 or so lucky wins doesn't exactly paper over the debacle that has been the Syracuse program in this decade. Absolutely mediocre.

I wasn't the one making providence references, I was just pointing out that it is a bad reference

actually, I think you are supporting his point. By pointing out how terrible Providence is, and yet they've made the tourney four times...what does that say about us? our situation?

actually, I think you are supporting his point. By pointing out how terrible Providence is, and yet they've made the tourney four times...what does that say about us? our situation?
Our situation is we’re playing in a tougher conference, with sanctions against us. Put us in Providence’s situation the last four years and we make the tournament every season. Of course we’d also have to cancel football.

Our situation is we’re playing in a tougher conference, with sanctions against us. Put us in Providence’s situation the last four years and we make the tournament every season. Of course we’d also have to cancel football.

cancelling football wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Sheesh.
Is NC State our peer?

Is NC State our peer?
Unfortunately yes. Think we are 3-3 against them since joining ACC. Just going off memory so may not be entirely accurate. Every game has been close that i remember except at their place in 2015. Even the 14-4 team in 2014 was 1-1 against them. Barely beat them in reg season and lost to them in ACCT

Just for comparison's sake, Roy Williams is 33-4 against NCState. Sobering thought

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom