14 seed, 11 seed, 10 seed | Syracusefan.com

14 seed, 11 seed, 10 seed

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Our path to the elite 8. We finally get a busted bracket and we s.hit the bed.

Ugh

couldn't have asked for more. All we needed to do was play decent ball, and we're in the Sweet 16, with a chance to hit the Elite 8 against a 10 seed.

Sucks. But I would have liked our chances against Kansas better than our chances against Stanford.

There are obvious reasons that you see these seeds winning. The teams at the "top" are not strong, dominant teams. The well-worn explanation is the constant roster turnover caused by kids leaving early. This is definitely part of the problem.

This factor, though, is compounded by the way the rules/officiating affect the games. The flagrant foul rule is a great example of that--teams are rewarded with two shots and the ball when they play defense that disregards the rules on legal guarding position. Ultimately, the collective sum of the rules and the officiating are designed to create the "upsets" that were much less frequent 20 years ago.

There is way too much contact allowed on defense in the college game. The re-emphasis on the hand-checking and block/charge rules that were to be enacted this year was nothing more than lip service to silence the critics. The games are still called the same way they have been the last decade or so.

If I were a college coach, I would immediately install a trapping press. Under the philosophy that the referees can't blow the whistle on every possession, I would teach my players to ride the hip of the ball handler at all times and to chuck every cutter off of the ball. I would also teach my players to flop whenever possible. I would explain to my players that a foul every now and then just shows that we are playing really aggressively, so that's ok. Furthermore, I would play 11 players in every game to have lots of fouls to use.

This strategy would help my recruiting--it would limit the need for elite athletes since they aren't allowed freedom of movement on offense anyway. Rather, I can just find few players that can shoot the ball a little, a couple that can dribble a touch, and fill out the rest of the roster with bruisers. Then, I would instruct my players on the fine art of roughing up the opponent for 40 minutes. I would call this approach "40 Minutes of Bruises."

I bet my team would pull an upset or two in the tournament once I have a class of juniors and seniors.

There are obvious reasons that you see these seeds winning. The teams at the "top" are not strong, dominant teams. The well-worn explanation is the constant roster turnover caused by kids leaving early. This is definitely part of the problem.

This factor, though, is compounded by the way the rules/officiating affect the games. The flagrant foul rule is a great example of that--teams are rewarded with two shots and the ball when they play defense that disregards the rules on legal guarding position. Ultimately, the collective sum of the rules and the officiating are designed to create the "upsets" that were much less frequent 20 years ago.

There is way too much contact allowed on defense in the college game. The re-emphasis on the hand-checking and block/charge rules that were to be enacted this year was nothing more than lip service to silence the critics. The games are still called the same way they have been the last decade or so.

If I were a college coach, I would immediately install a trapping press. Under the philosophy that the referees can't blow the whistle on every possession, I would teach my players to ride the hip of the ball handler at all times and to chuck every cutter off of the ball. I would also teach my players to flop whenever possible. I would explain to my players that a foul every now and then just shows that we are playing really aggressively, so that's ok. Furthermore, I would play 11 players in every game to have lots of fouls to use.

This strategy would help my recruiting--it would limit the need for elite athletes since they aren't allowed freedom of movement on offense anyway. Rather, I can just find few players that can shoot the ball a little, a couple that can dribble a touch, and fill out the rest of the roster with bruisers. Then, I would instruct my players on the fine art of roughing up the opponent for 40 minutes. I would call this approach "40 Minutes of Bruises."

I bet my team would pull an upset or two in the tournament once I have a class of juniors and seniors.

You're hired...or your name is Nolan Richardson. Either way, everything you are saying is correct. So much more hugging and riding is allowed.

Great post, Coach.

Sucks. But I would have liked our chances against Kansas better than our chances against Stanford.

I would've loved our chances against Stanford. They didn't make one three-point shot. 0-9 from three. Disappointing thinking about what could've been.

I would've loved our chances against Stanford. They didn't make one three-point shot. 0-9 from three. Disappointing thinking about what could've been.

Good chance it would've been Alabama circa 2004. Including the part about watching them get waffle crushed in the regional finals two days later.

I think that Stanford's skilled bigs would've given the zone fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom