1980 SU hoops poster | Syracusefan.com

1980 SU hoops poster

OttoMets

Living Legend
Saw this posted online:
43185868_10217347970516504_6504932053753004032_n.jpg

DemiDome? Hadn't heard that before. Also their drawing seriously underestimated the type of crowds a conference game would garner.

If those were the type of crowds they anticipated, I can completely see why Boeheim didn’t want to leave Manley.

Awesome!

From those humble beginnings, a fairly nondescript coach built a storied program.
Boeheim and Syracuse had been a semi-regular presence among the top 20 in the years leading up to the opening of the Dome. I think they had been #2 for a while behind DePaul in 1979-80. As this poster says, the program had been to 8 straight NCAA tournaments. And we had the longest home winning streak in the country at Manley until the infamous Gtown game. So the program had started to gain serious momentum.

Does anyone know what the University was projecting for basketball attendance when the Dome was on the drawing boards?

Does anyone know what the University was projecting for basketball attendance when the Dome was on the drawing boards?

I remember reading that the decision to move basketball to the Carrier Dome was made very late and against extremely strong resistance from Jim Boeheim. Jake was hoping they might possibly be able to average 15K playing in the Dome. Remember, Manley had a capacity of about 6K until around 1977 when it was expanded to hold 9600.

Good article that talks about the Dome and its impact on the program...

SYRACUSE PROGRAM MAKES JUMP FROM FORLORN TO FOREFRONT

The Carrier Corporation “Demi-Dome (TM)” is sure to revolutionise the basketball aficionado experience for decades to come.

Haven't seen that SU/Carrier logo in a while either. Hmmmm. Where's my foil, X84, now!?

DemiDome? Hadn't heard that before. Also their drawing seriously underestimated the type of crowds a conference game would garner.
Underestimated crowds and the size of people. That's a DemiDome for ants.

Underestimated crowds and the size of people. That's a DemiDome for ants.

I was going to say when I first saw it that they had planned to put in one of those "larger NBA courts" made famous by igor or BlueCurtain or somebody a while back.

I was going to say when I first saw it that they had planned to put in one of those "larger NBA courts" made famous by igor or BlueCurtain or somebody a while back.
It was definitely BlueCurtain.

what happened behind the curtain stays behind the curtain. it was as much a social thing as a sports thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom