2013-2014 Point Guard

blah

• blah

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • blah

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gbinije can handle it fine. Triche isn't really a PG either.
Pretty sure Ron Patterson is going to be the backup PG, with Gbinje and Cooney able to fill in as needed as well. None are true PG, none are ideal but we should be okay here.

Okay, yes, I am aware we are in the middle of a very nice season so far, but because I am obsessive compulsive, I figure it's never to soon to fret about next year.

My concern is this: assuming MCW goes to the League, we will only have one point guard on the roster next year in Tyler Ennis. He'll be a freshman and JB typically does not lean heavily on a freshman point guard. I guess in this case he'll have to.

My question is if TE gets about 30 minutes a game, what do we do for those other PG minutes? Sorry, but I just don't see PG skills in Cooney. Sure, he's been decent at helping break a press but that doesn't mean he's lead guard material. Silent G is not a pg, he's more of a 2/3. I guess maybe we have to hope Buss can play some point guard in a pinch. Considering the log jam we will have at the 2, maybe that will be his best opportunity to get some minutes. Am I missing anyone? BJ is clearly a 2/3 not a point guard.

Thoughts?

IMHO...

First, if you are worried about dribbling through pressure, we aren't going to be any worse off next year than this. MCW is not exactly the second coming of Curly Neal in that regard.

Second, once we are in the halfcourt set, the PG's role is diminished.

Third, don't sell Cooney short. He won't remind anyone of Sherman Douglas, but a year from now he'll be handling the ball as well as Triche is now. He will be a competent option for reserve PG minutes.

We will miss MCW's playmaking, as risky as it is - I will give you that. But that is nothing to lose sleep over. With the talent coming in, and with the improvement of those who come back, we will be fine at PG.

Harrison: my concerns are not about dribbling through pressure, but who is going to be the backup lead guard...ie: the guy who will get us into our halfcourt offense when Ennis is on the bench. Also, JB is putting an awful lot of stock into TE being ready from day 1, something he doesn't usually do with a freshman point guard, as I pointed out in my original post. JB may not be able to afford to put Ennis in his doghouse if he starts making freshman mistakes. I'm sceptical that Cooney has lead guards skills; he'll need to improve quite a bit to fit the bill.

Pretty sure Ron Patterson is going to be the backup PG, with Gbinje and Cooney able to fill in as needed as well. None are true PG, none are ideal but we should be okay here.

This was my exact thought as well.

Buss seems to be the one that is a combo guard that can give us some solid minutes and really good defense off the bench.

You're basing your assessment on what? He barely stepped on the floor at Duke. I guess I'm not basing my doubts that he could handle the point on much either, come to think of it. But all the scouting reports I've read list him as a wing.
Feel better about it. He has been working out at the point all year with us. He is a very good player.

Feel better about it. He has been working out at the point all year with us. He is a very good player.

I didn't realize he was playing a lot of PG in practice. Good stuff.

Really happy with the way MCW played yesterday. I've been hard on him. He needs to play like that consistently to earn my confidence. NBA types may think differently, and it's their opinion that matters, but I'd hate to see MCW jump for the money and wind up a D League castaway.

Harrison: my concerns are not about dribbling through pressure, but who is going to be the backup lead guard...ie: the guy who will get us into our halfcourt offense when Ennis is on the bench. Also, JB is putting an awful lot of stock into TE being ready from day 1, something he doesn't usually do with a freshman point guard, as I pointed out in my original post. JB may not be able to afford to put Ennis in his doghouse if he starts making freshman mistakes. I'm sceptical that Cooney has lead guards skills; he'll need to improve quite a bit to fit the bill.
I'm with you, this is probably is not the plan JB had in mind, to have a frosh pg as the starter. But a couple of things have happened to get us here. First, having Scoop and Dion both come back was unexpected. How do you get a guard to commit when you are expected to have Dion, BT, MCW, and Cooney here this year. And now with the MCW explosion we're in this predicament.
We've had frosh play before, he can do it. The rest of the team will be experienced.
As for the backup, I suppose it will be MG. But I thought he might start at 2g, so JB would have to change his substitution patterns a little.

Watched Gbinije all last year. Didn't see anything to suggest he could play PG. Actually didn't see much of anything - he played so little.

We kept hearing the coaches were high on him as an athletic wing defender (something Duke has lacked - until now -Rodney Hood, Rasheed Sulamain, Amile Jefferson) but he wasn't willing to stick it out. Must have been more than playing time, because he would have played at Duke.

I was lying in bed last night until about 2AM thinking of this exact same problem I sh it you not. Apparently I am not the only one who needs therapy.
I'm not sure any of us should try and follow-up on that comment!

Watched Gbinije all last year. Didn't see anything to suggest he could play PG. Actually didn't see much of anything - he played so little.

We kept hearing the coaches were high on him as an athletic wing defender (something Duke has lacked - until now -Rodney Hood, Rasheed Sulamain, Amile Jefferson) but he wasn't willing to stick it out. Must have been more than playing time, because he would have played at Duke.

It couldnt have been anything bad though because K sent him to JB with his blessing. We did recruit MikeG as well but if he were a problem I'm sure K would have told JB that.

I was lying in bed last night until about 2AM thinking of this exact same problem I sh it you not. Apparently I am not the only one who needs therapy.

F sleep, go SU.

armory...fyi: it's Gbinije.

No wonder Armory thinks he can handle...... Gnippleje can, but what about Gbinije?

Iommi you keep saying JB doesn't like to rely on a frosh PG. To the extent you mean he'd rather have a PG that he's seen before and knows what he brings to the table, I'd agree. But JB has had no problems giving talented frosh big minutes at PG over the years.

Off the top of my head:

Adrian Autry started 30 games as a frosh
Micknackmanara started 35 games as a frosh
Flynn started 35 games as a frosh
Devo started 30 games as a frosh although it was alongside Micknackmanara
Jason Hart started 32 games as a frosh
Pearl started 32 games as a frosh

I am here for you.

Ennis will be fine starting at PG next year. He's a true PG and is getting good coaching at a high level program. I admit that having to play him 35 minutes a game is not ideal but it is what it is. Heard that MGb has been practicing playing some PG this year so it seems that is in JB's plan. Whitehead in the 2014 class is comfortable with the ball, definitely can be a combo guard. It's important to get him I think. Wouldn't surprise me if Rak is moved to start at C next year and we forget about playing him at forward. He is clearly better at center and Grant needs to start along with CJ. DC2 hasn't done anything to lay claim to the starter's spot next year IMHO. He will need to come in and work his butt off and show dramatic improvement. Roberson will get some run at forward next year too in a backup role. OK back to this year.

Therapy would be just the beginning

Patterson can/will play some point. He is actually are only other option. I think Patterson is going to be a player. He has improved in all areas of his game.

He'll be a freshman and JB typically does not lean heavily on a freshman point guard. I guess in this case he'll have to.

I am sure this was covered but really? GMac, Edelin, Hart, Flynn? you could almost throw Triche in there

I dunno, MCW is being projected top 6 and stock is rising. Strike while the iron is hot, doubt he stays.
Sure would be nice to have both Wiggins and MCW next year at Cuse ! 1 and 2 in the draft . screw ktucky

I am sure this was covered but really? GMac, Edelin, Hart, Flynn? you could almost throw Triche in there
Well yeah, since he started as the PG on the best team in the country, ahead of Scoop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom