2013-2014 Point Guard

blah

• blah

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • blah

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Patterson can/will play some point. He is actually are only other option. I think Patterson is going to be a player. He has improved in all areas of his game.

We'll see. Would be interested to see what Francis03 or Dasher have to say about that, having seen him play recently.

I think our backup "point" will come from a combination of Gbinje and Cooney. Hard to see Patterson getting minutes next year, let alone at the point, unless he's improved his handle significantly.

And that's no knock on Patterson. I think he'll probably be a pretty good player for us during his career. I just don't expect much next season.

You're basing your assessment on what? He barely stepped on the floor at Duke. I guess I'm not basing my doubts that he could handle the point on much either, come to think of it. But all the scouting reports I've read list him as a wing.

Between Patterson and Cooney, we'll be adequate. Maybe we will lose something on the fast break (Ennis reminds me a lot of Mark Jackson, when it comes to the pace of his game), but we will handle it OK.

We'll see. Would be interested to see what Francis03 or Dasher have to say about that, having seen him play recently.

I think our backup "point" will come from a combination of Gbinje and Cooney. Hard to see Patterson getting minutes next year, let alone at the point, unless he's improved his handle significantly.

And that's no knock on Patterson. I think he'll probably be a pretty good player for us during his career. I just don't expect much next season.

I think he's going to be pretty good, RF. Don't sleep on Patterson. He will be part of the rotation next year. He's got some scrappiness that maybe a couple of the other guards lack.

We've had years when the fourth guy played a fair amount. Even MCW averaged 10 minutes a game last year. That was enough run to help make him the player he is this season. He played against some outstanding and savvy guys in practice every day last year. I'm sure he picked up a ton of things from Scoop.

Guys, I know we've started freshman pgs, but I'm sure JB is not enamored with the prospect of having to do so. Even Jason Hart had a very tough breaking in period.

I was doing something else at 2am last nite. But as soon as I finished I started thinking about next years pg. :eek:

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure what filing your taxes has to do with this discussion, but to each their own I guess. :)

i cant help to think we should turn up the heat on Jordan or even reach out to Jorgenson in the 2013 class and see whats going on there

What really should cause a lack of sleep is the possibility that Ennis gets hurt. In that case, our season would effectively be done.

I think he's going to be pretty good, RF. Don't sleep on Patterson. He will be part of the rotation next year. He's got some scrappiness that maybe a couple of the other guards lack.

We've had years when the fourth guy played a fair amount. Even MCW averaged 10 minutes a game last year. That was enough run to help make him the player he is this season. He played against some outstanding and savvy guys in practice every day last year. I'm sure he picked up a ton of things from Scoop.
I really like Patterson... but he is Paul Harris with a (really good) jump shot. He may have decent ball control, but certainly not a PG-level handle. He is a SG/SF, I cannot see him playing any PG, and I definitely cannot see him playing PG over Gbinije.

It's really not going to matter much though, this is all for naught. I'm not sure even that many Cuse fans realize just how ridiculously stacked our team is going to be these next 2-4 years with all-around bball talent. Bringing the ball up the court is going to be trivial. And you can say goodbye to our 3pt-shooting woes when we begin suiting up Ennis, Cooney, Patterson, Gbinije, and Roberson next year. Good lord those are 5 good looking strokes.

Ok this was a long post tried to trim it down. With Ennis, Gbinije, Patterson, I am not worried one bit. We have alot of halfcourt scorers and our halfcourt transition offense is going to shine (atleast against a m2m).

Sophmore Grant and next years Cooney/ DC2/Rak will be much more proven offensively then freshmen dajuan,and this years rak and Cooney while Gbinije will be a nice fix for Triche. Just hope Fair comes back. Imo am much more worried about outside shooting then PG especially against a zone. :)

Gbinije
1.looked like a taller stronger version of Josh Pace at March madness who wants to go the rim and plays at a fast pace. Guys who play like that want to create plays or score.
2.Him and Mike were the two best hustlers in midnight madness that bodes well.
3. Has a much more noticable dribble then Grant, Fair, Southerlandand, nice change of direction.
4. Aggressive isolation scorers tend to be good ball handlers.
5. Hope he brings some Lebron looking Defense up top in the zone.

Ennis(freshmen).
I worry he could be like Scoops early years kind of like Siva 2 games ago. In terms of Perimeter points who don't dribble into the lane much one on one with alot of entry passes and Pics
1.He doesn't have much of a second gear, dribbling technique to break his man down, or physical body techniques yet. Patterson and Gbinije look like they do.
2. He is so smooth though, runs into space well, confident jumpshot from day one, finds unfindable passing lanes,can take over a game, change a scoreboard in notime.
3. bleeds orange as much as few of our players over the years. Very Excited to have him!

Patterson just check the video.
1. speed level/puts his body into his man while dribbling/uses his left hand/keeps the ball low with his long arms. He is going to have alot of scorers around him he won't need to score all game.
2. long arms defense is a strength ennis needs to work on his defense some.

What really should cause a lack of sleep is the possibility that Ennis gets hurt. In that case, our season would effectively be done.
I have to LOL at that. We have little idea what any of these new players will bring to the table. We do know that our expectations for others have led to big letdowns. While Ennis looks to be an excellent player, the transition to college level is great.

FYI, Patterson did not play any point really In the game I went too last Sunday.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

That keeps me up at night in regards to this season too.

Regarding Patterson, I thought the big knock on him is that he's got a pretty poor handle relative to other guards in his class?

Regarding Patterson, I thought the big knock on him is that he's got a pretty poor handle relative to other guards in his class?

Exactly.

True...however, scouts tend to not care as much about the what they are/can do now as opposed to what could they do in the future...Especially if a lottery pick/Top 10 he is gone...

How, for example, could the Lakers pass up an opportunity to draft MCW if they had one?-VBOF

Caught it at the same time, for some reason I remembered it being pronounced NIB-jay. Actually pronounced BIN-eh-jay.

l.jpg

Think of it this way -- Ques.: "How long have you been a Toronto baseball player?" Ans: "I've Gbinije for 2 years."-VBOF

realorange - my comment about a possible Ennis injury having a major impact on our season next year simply pointed to the fact that he will be our only true point guard on next years team. And good point guard play has always been crucial in JB's system. If he is not ready to handle the position effectively as a freshman, well that's a different question but he'd better be or next years team will have a difficult time living up to its strong potential based on the other players surrounding him.

DC2 will bring the ball up on the clear out against the other teams center. . .
No worries.

Iommi you keep saying JB doesn't like to rely on a frosh PG. To the extent you mean he'd rather have a PG that he's seen before and knows what he brings to the table, I'd agree. But JB has had no problems giving talented frosh big minutes at PG over the years.

Off the top of my head:

Adrian Autry started 30 games as a frosh
Micknackmanara started 35 games as a frosh
Flynn started 35 games as a frosh
Devo started 30 games as a frosh although it was alongside Micknackmanara
Jason Hart started 32 games as a frosh
Pearl started 32 games as a frosh

Two of those were out of necessity - it's not that Boeheim had no problem starting McNamara and Hart, it's that the team actually didn't have another point guard. Flynn's pretty close to the same situation - Josh Wright was halfway out the door and there was no one else. And Devendorf played the 2 all year.

Starting a freshman point is pretty close to the option of last resort.

Good post above, OttoMets,that's my point.

I am sure this was covered but really? GMac, Edelin, Hart, Flynn? you could almost throw Triche in there
And two of those teams (Hart, Flynn) failed to make the tournament.

Two of those were out of necessity - it's not that Boeheim had no problem starting McNamara and Hart, it's that the team actually didn't have another point guard. Flynn's pretty close to the same situation - Josh Wright was halfway out the door and there was no one else. And Devendorf played the 2 all year.

Starting a freshman point is pretty close to the option of last resort.
But the necessity situation is exactly what we will likely be facing next year, if/when MCW leaves. Tyler would certainly see the minutes over Cooney and MG because they are 2s.

One situation that pfister1 forgot though, is that of BT. I mention this because that is the situation that is most similar. Tyler will be coming into an otherwise loaded team. A front court of CJ, JGrant, BMK/DC2, and maybe Rak, should rival anyones in the country. Tyler doesn't have to be the man, just the game manager.

But the necessity situation is exactly what we will likely be facing next year, if/when MCW leaves. Tyler would certainly see the minutes over Cooney and MG because they are 2s.

One situation that pfister1 forgot though, is that of BT. I mention this because that is the situation that is most similar. Tyler will be coming into an otherwise loaded team. A front court of CJ, JGrant, BMK/DC2, and maybe Rak, should rival anyones in the country. Tyler doesn't have to be the man, just the game manager.

That last sentence is spot-on.

I'm more inclined to liken the situation to the Michael Edwards year - talented point guard departing; most of the rest of the team returning; the new kid just needs to run the offense, play defense, and not pass the ball to the guys with different-colored jerseys.

There's reason to be optimistic.

(Ennis reminds me a lot of Mark Jackson, when it comes to the pace of his game)
Figures crossed that Ennis' game has Jackson's 20 second point guard post up/back down that begins at the three point line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom