2013 recruiting class | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2013 recruiting class

Letme think about this for 1 moment. We have for 2013-2014 the following: Mike G., Ennis, Rak, DC2, MCW, CJ, Grant, Cooney, and Keita. Southie and Trishe graduate. We have coming in additionally: Obokoh, Patterson, Johnson. That makes 12 schollies. McCullough reclass to 2013... that leaves 0 schollies. Where does Roberson fit in? OK, JB must definitely be planning on MCW leaving
Scenario #2: McCullough doesn't reclass leaving 1 schollie and Roberson commits leaving 0 schollies ... again. We want Johnson and therefore must kick MCW out the door. A lot seems to ride on MCW really blowing up this year and moving on the NBA. That leaves us with dilemma #2 ... who backs up Ennis ... same PG issue.
I mean I love the dilemma but are we setting up revolving door program? Summarize:

2012-2013 (10 schollies: 3 available)
Mike G.
Rak
DC2
MCW (NBA????)
CJ
Grant
Trishe (graduates)
Cooney
Keita
Southie (graduates)

2013-2014 (14 schollies -1 schollie)
Mike G soph
Rak jr
DC2 soph
CJ sr
Grant soph
Cooney soph (RS)
Keita sr (RS)
Patterson VC
Johnson VC
Ennis VC
Obokoh VC
McCullough VC (reclass)
Roberson
Johnson

Have i got this dilemma messed up any? Now if McCullough doesn't reclass than we have 13 schollies with Keita and CJ gone in 2014-2015 leaving room for Whitehead or Briscoe but not both. HELP Francis ... has my math gone awry.

You interwebs fanboys sure get salty when pros stop by to clue you in. This is a basketball post, so your inaccurate quote from a football post is pathetic.

This is all I said about Jefferson and Lee:

"Here are 50 QBs who are better than Nassib right now:...
13. Jordan Jefferson, LSU, 223 Rating, ~250 total yards, 4 total TDs...
20. Jarrett Lee, LSU, 158 Rating, ~1300 total yards, 13 total TDs...
Compare to: Ryan Nassib, Syracuse, 137 Rating, ~1550 total yards, 17 total TDs"

I was simply stating an empirical fact, but you and a few like-minded Mod brown nosers keep trying to use your Walmart quality cleverness to zing me for being correct.

But to conclude this topic, B.J. Johnson is not yet nearly the talent that MCW is. People who are just assuming that one of these guys blows up like MCW are being optimistic, and I like that optimism. JB is awesome, maybe they are correct. I am merely pointing out that Obokoh, Johnson, and Patterson are not Kentucky, UNC, Duke, or Kansas quality recruits...as of yet. If they blow up, party city. If they don't, we had fair warning.

No need to pretend that our recent success is built on program guys, it is not, instead we have been riding the success of huge talents that every analyst loved and every school tried to get: Greene, Flynn, Scoop, Rick,, Joseph, Fab, and Dion. Wes also belongs in this group, because he was the most sought after transfer in the country when Syracuse recruited him: i.e., he was not under the radar. 100% of our recent leading scorers come from this group of stars that were widely lauded by every analyst when Syracuse landed them. 100% of our recent NBA first rounders comes from this group. MCW, Rak, and DC2 form the next core, and while we all know MCW improved his stock dramatically post-commit, these guys were all recognized as huge studs by the start of their senior year. One of these McDs will lead us in scoring the season, and these stars will be the first rounders that will play huge roles for us this season.

All local fans tend to overrate their program guys, especially the blue collar underdog types. Mods tend to reinforce this trend, and brown nosers take it to belligerent levels. If you want to rile up the mouthbreathers at any fanboard, just talk objectively about how limited some of their hard working program guys are. For example, I have a bigboy crush on some thickburger, which goes beyond reality, as I constantly want to pretend he is a first rounder, when let's face it, he has a lot of work to do to get there. I will grab my pitchfork and burn anyone's couch who doesn't realize Fair is the truth. Here's hoping all the best for our recent program recruits, but obviously all Cuse fans are hoping that these three go from "under the radar" to "everyone wants them."
Hey, let's shape up and toe the partyline.

Letme think about this for 1 moment. We have for 2013-2014 the following: Mike G., Ennis, Rak, DC2, MCW, CJ, Grant, Cooney, and Keita. Southie and Trishe graduate. We have coming in additionally: Obokoh, Patterson, Johnson. That makes 12 schollies. McCullough reclass to 2013... that leaves 0 schollies. Where does Roberson fit in? OK, JB must definitely be planning on MCW leaving
Scenario #2: McCullough doesn't reclass leaving 1 schollie and Roberson commits leaving 0 schollies ... again. We want Johnson and therefore must kick MCW out the door. A lot seems to ride on MCW really blowing up this year and moving on the NBA. That leaves us with dilemma #2 ... who backs up Ennis ... same PG issue.
I mean I love the dilemma but are we setting up revolving door program? Summarize:

Mike G.
Rak
DC2
MCW (NBA????)
CJ
Grant
Trishe (graduates)
Cooney
Keita
Southie (graduates)

Mike G soph
Rak jr
DC2 soph
CJ sr
Grant soph
Cooney soph (RS)
Keita sr (RS)
Patterson VC
Johnson VC
Ennis VC
Obokoh VC
McCullough VC (reclass)
Roberson
Johnson

Have i got this dilemma messed up any? Now if McCullough doesn't reclass than we have 13 schollies with Keita and CJ gone in 2014-2015 leaving room for Whitehead or Briscoe but not both. HELP Francis ... has my math gone awry.
Is it really a done deal on McCullough reclassing one way or the other? What I have heard from many sites is he was thinking about it but academically it was virtually impossible for him to do so, so it appears this would be a no. Heck, don't need another Fab at crunch time who can't play.

Is it really a done deal on McCullough reclassing one way or the other? What I have heard from many sites is he was thinking about it but academically it was virtually impossible for him to do so, so it appears this would be a no. Heck, don't need another Fab at crunch time who can't play.
From what the board has said...so it's always open to question... McCullough will take his SATs and if does well may reclassify. Correct me if I'm wrong people.

I am new to Cuse basketball. Is it just me or does it see like after a season where the Orange only lost 3 games, it sure seems like Cuse is striking out on almost every elite recruit. It seems like all the players except Ennis is at best a role player. This class does not seem like it will sniff the top 25. What is going on??

FWIW I've follwed Cuse a long time, at 28 years old now followed more years in my life than I haven't.

I stopped caring as much for star ratings after the 03-06 classes with tons of highly rated 4 star guys that never panned out as advertised or at all in some cases. Mookie Watkins, Louie McCrosky, Terrence Roberts, Dayshawn Wright, Josh Wright, Emmanuel Mayben, Mike Jones and Paul Harris were all high 4 or 5 star recruits in that time frame. If you're new or newer to Cuse hoops you may have heard of exactly 2 of those guys.

In 05 we landed Not Ranked no star Andy Rautins, in 07 we cleaned up and the recruiting service was close to accurate, 08 brought 4 stars Kris Jo and Mookie Jones and 3 star James Southerland (recruiting service had the last 2 reversed obviously), 09 brought 3 star Triche and 4 star Dash Riley (hmmmm), and since then we've absolutely killed it in recruiting.

So it's really hard to take recruiting service's word over our coaches who saw something in lower rated guys that the recruiting services didn't and missed on some of the same higher rated guys the recruiting services did. In the meantime the coaches nabbed early commits from Dion Waiters, and MCW before they were known commodities and were all over Anthony Davis before Kentucky even considered dropping off duffle bags of cash for him. Chris McCullough seems to be next on that list hough. He's highly rated now but our coaches have been after him for quite awhile even when others were rated higher.

End game, don't get too caught up in online rankings. They are nice eye candy but don't always predict elite vs not so well. Also, don't be surprised to see some of our 2013 recruits have great years and end up being rated much higher by signing day.

Mike G.
Rak
DC2
MCW (NBA????)
CJ
Grant
Trishe (graduates)
Cooney
Keita
Southie (graduates)

Mike G soph
Rak jr
DC2 soph
CJ sr
Grant soph
Cooney soph (RS)
Keita sr (RS)
Patterson VC
Johnson VC
Ennis VC
Obokoh VC
McCullough VC (reclass)
Roberson
Johnson

You have BJ Johnson listed twice in 13-14.

I think one refers to BJ Johnson, the other at the bottom list refers to Dakari Johnson

johnsonsbabypowder.jpg
=
images

FWIW I've follwed Cuse a long time, at 28 years old now followed more years in my life than I haven't.

I stopped caring as much for star ratings after the 03-06 classes with tons of highly rated 4 star guys that never panned out as advertised or at all in some cases. Mookie Watkins, Louie McCrosky, Terrence Roberts, Dayshawn Wright, Josh Wright, Emmanuel Mayben, Mike Jones and Paul Harris were all high 4 or 5 star recruits in that time frame. If you're new or newer to Cuse hoops you may have heard of exactly 2 of those guys.

In 05 we landed Not Ranked no star Andy Rautins, in 07 we cleaned up and the recruiting service was close to accurate, 08 brought 4 stars Kris Jo and Mookie Jones and 3 star James Southerland (recruiting service had the last 2 reversed obviously), 09 brought 3 star Triche and 4 star Dash Riley (hmmmm), and since then we've absolutely killed it in recruiting.

So it's really hard to take recruiting service's word over our coaches who saw something in lower rated guys that the recruiting services didn't and missed on some of the same higher rated guys the recruiting services did. In the meantime the coaches nabbed early commits from Dion Waiters, and MCW before they were known commodities and were all over Anthony Davis before Kentucky even considered dropping off duffle bags of cash for him. Chris McCullough seems to be next on that list hough. He's highly rated now but our coaches have been after him for quite awhile even when others were rated higher.

End game, don't get too caught up in online rankings. They are nice eye candy but don't always predict elite vs not so well. Also, don't be surprised to see some of our 2013 recruits have great years and end up being rated much higher by signing day.
I really think JB has figured out that, instead of raking in blue-chippers, there is a chemistry in finding a good blend of top Freshman talent with solid sophomores and Juniors, and senior leaders.

I really think JB has figured out that, instead of raking in blue-chippers, there is a chemistry in finding a good blend of top Freshman talent with solid sophomores and Juniors, and senior leaders.

Agreed. The rankings also indicate talent level but don't give any sort of indication on what type of personality the player has. You can't have a team full of alpha males that think they should take every shot.

Got it. I don't see how we take both Roberson and D. Johnson.

Agree. Still, there exists a remote possibility to get two of Jordan/Vonleh/Roberson/Lawrence/Wiggins/Dakari.
Nolan Hart is a walk-on Junior, which could yield in one spot free. The other would be based on early draft entries such as MCW/Rak/CJ/DC2.

If any of these guys blow up and are NBA bound, that would free up another scholarship, but that would be for the recruit that waits to decide in spring (wink-wink-wiggins-wink-wink). I know, wishful thinking, but still, it's Friday and I am so frikkin pumped for Sunday that I think anything can happen.

Anyways, let's go guys, how psyched are you for this season?

Frankly, I'm very intrigued by BJJ. It seems likely he'll grow another inch to... 6'8" or 6'9", depending on your source. He clearly can shoot from range. Fairly athletic. Good length / wingspan. Appears to have a handle. Perhaps most important, his work ethic and BB savvy are exceptional based on most reports.

This is the kind of guy that JB & Co. excel at maximizing. I honestly can't come up with an accurate past player comparator - which is why I'm most curious to see how BJJ develops.

I'll expound further: one of the joys (IMO) of CBB is watching players develop. Of course FF4s and titles are the ultimate yardstick, but from a fan's perspective when you "bond" with the program based on the development of the players and the continued excellence of the program it means a lot. You can point to several programs that are objectively superior based on tourney performance, but I challenge anyone to find a school that is as rewarding to fans of the program as S.U. has been over the past thirty-plus years.

This is the kind of guy that JB & Co. excel at maximizing. I honestly can't come up with an accurate past player comparator - which is why I'm most curious to see how BJJ develops.

Watching his highlights, I flashed on Calbert Cheaney, the '90's AA from Indiana. Johnson certainly isn't as thick, but they are both smooth lefties who are able to score from most anywhere on the floor. Natural scorers.

In order to land classes full of 5 star guys, year in, year out, you have to cheat. I don't care what anyone says about Calipari, if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a duck. I think JB has learned that if you you are going to pursue the 5 star one and dones full bore, and build a program around that (like Cal has at Kentucky), you have to do whatever it takes to land them, otherwise your whole model is F'ed. JB has had a lot of success taking overlooked guys that fit his system well and developing them into star caliber players, future NBA players. Warrick and Rautins come to mind immediately in that respect. The only time JB was pulling in the multi 5 star type recruit classes consistently was the late 80's and we all know how that panned out, with a recruiting scandal. I doubt JB, having 1-3 years left tops, wants to end his legacy amidst a recruiting scandal. I think that's why we've seen, in recent years, when guys we are recruiting blow up and Kentucky gets into the picture out of nowhere, we tend to leave the scene. DC was probably the exception since he was a Syracuse kid, but I tend to believe that JB learned his lesson with the dark side of recruiting the first time around and has no interest in even being associated with recruits once the $$'s start flowing.

There will be 5 stars that we get involved with, that stay clean, and that we'll land, and we'll continue to use them as blocks around which to build with our lesser recruitied, system/program type players. It worked in 2003 and it will work again. You don't need a roster of 5 star players to win a championship.

And on a side note - Cal will go down, eventually. He's managed to side step scandals at both UMASS and Memphis, but it will happen.

You get to pick your team from 4 star recruits and I get to pick mine from the 5 star recruits: my team will beat yours like a drum every game.

...first and foremost 5 star players want to be starters as soon as they hit campus because they truly believe they are one and done...aka KY. Keep pushing them to NBA to make room for next one and dones. What happens if one or two in a season do not pan out. Just watched KY last night and was smiling at the supposedly star talent on the team...if Maryland had not committed so many unforced TOs they would have won by 10 or more...one year soon, and maybe this year...Cal will get the wrong four guys and splash...he isnt the wizzard anymore.

...first and foremost 5 star players want to be starters as soon as they hit campus because they truly believe they are one and done...aka KY. Keep pushing them to NBA to make room for next one and dones. What happens if one or two in a season do not pan out. Just watched KY last night and was smiling at the supposedly star talent on the team...if Maryland had not committed so many unforced TOs they would have won by 10 or more...one year soon, and maybe this year...Cal will get the wrong four guys and splash...he isnt the wizzard anymore.
yea but like last year, maybe a few freshmen stay and you bring in a monster class next year and they will be unbeatable again

Guys, my comments were obviously premature. This class and the next class are looking REALLY good!

In the past, I think was some truth to 624's comments. In the 90's up to our NC year, the staff lived off of 3-4 star guys that developed into great players. I think we had 2 McDAA's in the 10 year stretch before Melo. After Melo came in 2002 and we won in 03, recruiting exploded. No we didn't get every 5 star on our board, but we were in the mix for many of top (non-cash) players. And twice since the NC (07 and 11) we've had double McDAA's in a single year. During that period (post-NC decade), we had 7 McDAA's, more than 3x the previous one.

In the last 3-4 years, we've been a selector school. Our classes may not have 5 stars across the board (we don't pay). But we're still getting 1-2 top recruits that elevate the program and give us a chance for deep tournament runs. Everyone wanted Fab. We got him. Rak was the #1 C recruit ... he chose SU. DC2 had a long list ... including Ky. He stayed home.

This year we already have a great mix of quality program kids (topped by Obokoh, Johnson and Patterson) along with at least 2, possibly 3, top 30 kids (Ennis, Roberson, and potentially Dakari Johnson). If we land DJ, it pretty much blows the 'we-can't-compete-without-cheating' theory out of the water permanently.

In the past, I think was some truth to 624's comments. In the 90's up to our NC year, the staff lived off of 3-4 star guys that developed into great players. I think we had 2 McDAA's in the 10 year stretch before Melo. After Melo came in 2002 and we won in 03, recruiting exploded. No we didn't get every 5 star on our board, but we were in the mix for many of top (non-cash) players. And twice since the NC (07 and 11) we've had double McDAA's in a single year. During that period (post-NC decade), we had 7 McDAA's, more than 3x the previous one.

In the last 3-4 years, we've been a selector school. Our classes may not have 5 stars across the board (we don't pay). But we're still getting 1-2 top recruits that elevate the program and give us a chance for deep tournament runs. Everyone wanted Fab. We got him. Rak was the #1 C recruit ... he chose SU. DC2 had a long list ... including Ky. He stayed home.

This year we already have a great mix of quality program kids (topped by Obokoh, Johnson and Patterson) along with at least 2, possibly 3, top 30 kids (Ennis, Roberson, and potentially Dakari Johnson). If we land DJ, it pretty much blows the 'we-can't-compete-without-cheating' theory out of the water permanently.
Big assumption.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Big assumption.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

We'll see, Capt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online