2013 recruiting class | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2013 recruiting class

It's funny because of those 4 he listed, 1 just committed, 2 are only uncommitted because they want to take their visits, and the 4th might or might not happen.
I can't see the two that want to take their visits waiting until their senior year to take official visits, do you?

I can't see the two that want to take their visits waiting until their senior year to take official visits, do you?

you never know. all I know is that the staff feels pretty confident about landing them

Ah Bnoro, good to see you are still spreading your version of logic couchburn

I don't understand why Cuse fans are acting small time and defensive about our failure to land our A-list players during this recruiting season.

Ennis, Noah, Lawrence, Anya were Syracuse's elite targets initially. Young, Seldon, and Roberson entered the mix as well, as less realistic targets. So far, among elite targets, Syracuse has gotten one of the 7 or 8 guys we have seriously targeted.

Clearly, we could do better, we have done better, and in 2014...we expect to do better. Taking three "program players" in a single class is an unmistakable step backwards from the amazing classes we have been reeling in during the recent years. I hope all of them are great, and it is very easy to get excited about each one, but we have to admit that Patterson, Obokoh, and Johnson would each likely be the worst player in any of our recent recruited classes, other than BMK or maybe Cooney. I think we can safely say that neither Patterson, Obokoh, or Johnson are expected to reach a talent level as high as Fab, Dion, MCW, Rak, Coleman, or Grant. Therefore, we expect less out of these new commits than we have recently enjoyed out of our all-american commits.

I very much think JB and the staff are outstanding judges of talent, and hopefully Johnson or someone blows up, but let's not force over-optimism like the lesser programs do. Syracuse can regularly put together the most intimidating talent in the country outside of Kentucky. That is roughly what we have done the past few years. This appears to be a small step back. Not a huge deal, but let's not pretend we don't know the difference between a Syracuse-level recruiting class and a Villanova-level recruiting class.

If we fail to land any of the following four:
(1) the stud '13 PF
(2) McCollough
(3) Briscoe; or
(4) Bryant

Kentucky is going to get a lot less scared of us. It's been our All-American hauls the past few years (Dion, Fab, Rak, MCW, etc.) that have truly lifted Cuse to elite status.

Also, I've talked to dozens of pro scouts, MCW is gone.
Rwspectfully, with VERY FEW POSSIBLE exceptions on this board, NO ONE knows who the staff made its top targets. Kids get better, you do due diligence on personality and character, project who the player might become, and go from there. JB does not recruit based on Rivals opinion.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I don't think most people (with an exception or two) were questioning the quality of the recruits, anyone who watches are recruiting and grades based solely on the services' star system hasn't been paying attention for very long. What most were questioning is the make up of the roster that we seem to be creating as a result of the players that are committed and/or likely to have left.

JB doesn't have a perfect track record in having the greatest roster makeup. E.g. No capable PG on the '90 team; having to play Harris/Rautins at the SF in 08-09; no real inside offensive threat last season. And, yes this is a pretty minor criticism when you look at the time span.

And roster makeup can be a greater or lesser problem depending on how the talent develops and the season unfolds. Right now that 2013-14 team looks like it will have a log jam at the SG position with a lack of capable ball handlers to spell an unproven frosh at PG.

It is legitimate criticism; however events may unfold between now and then that prove all the worriers wrong e.g. MCW may return, Patterson or Cooney may prove to be/develop into a serviceable backup PG, Ennis may be capable of handling huge minutes at the point.

If you guys need writers for anything, let me know. It happens to be my major, and I'd love to do stuff for more communities aside from what I write for Nunes.
I know. You wpuld think he would have drafted better than that.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Ah yes, Fab, who never played at an elite level here and was drafted on potential, now heading to the D-League. Rak, who barely got any meaningful PT last year. MCW, who played stretches of 5-10 minutes last year and looked average.

Those guys pushed us to "elite status"?

You are comically dense.

Yes, Fab and Dion pushed us to an elite level last year.

MCW, Rak, and Coleman will push us to an elite level this year.

Also please don't preach to me on reality, I know far more about the state of Syracuse recruiting than you do, and Francis has also seconded my sentiments.

Damn dood! Francis seconded your sentiments? Ah crap, why didn't someone warn me? I didn't know I was debating someone who had their sentiments seconded by Francis?

It was "program guys" like Kris, Scoop, Rick Jackson, ... and Devo,

All top 6o recruits, and you tossed in a McDs, just to make sure we all knew you were joking. We need to get a slidewhistle icon for your posts.

Care to retract?

Retract what? I said that we aim to do better in 2014, and so far we are. McCullough is great, but my post projected him to come here. I didn't predict anything bad for our 2014 class, I was commenting on our 2013 class.

Even so, Johnson reclassifying, so far, appears like it could be bad news. That seems to make our 2014 expectations a little tougher. We all already expected McCollugh, no surprise at all. A great, elite get, for sure, but we already expect to get great, elite talents...multiple ones, each year. That is why we are elite right now, because we have been doing that lately.

I am only stating these obvious facts because so many Mod brown-nosers are flooding all the recruiting posts with Rutgers style optimism that whoever we land is secretly better than their ratings, and that our program is built on MBK, Southerland, Fair and Triche. I love all of those guys, classic Cuse players like from my youth, and they'd fit right in as stars on the teams of the 90s. But this isn't the 1990s style Syracuse: when we have 6 scholarships coming open, we should get 3 studs, or else we might go back to the "merely" very good, almost awesome, teams of the 90s.

None of this is to say "the sky is falling," I merely said we have missed some targets in 2013, and Kentucky would fear us more if we had Lawrence instead of Johnson, and if we didn't need Obokoh to land Bryant...which isn't even a sure thing. Whether Buss is a perfect fit, or a McCullough package deal, remains to be seen.

Internet fanboys are free to cheer for whatever their programs do, but it's simply being sober minded to say that we've yet to land that second stud for 2013, and we were hoping to land 3 studs, but that appears less likely.

Retract what? I said that we aim to do better in 2014, and so far we are.

Johnson reclassifying, so far, appears like it could be bad news. That seems to make our 2014 expectations a little tougher. We all already expected McCollugh, no surprise at all. A great, elite get, for sure, but we already expect to get great, elite talents...multiple ones, each year. That is why we are elite right now, because we have been doing that lately.

None of this is to say "the sky is falling," I merely said we have missed some targets in 2013, and Kentucky would fear us more if we had Lawrence instead of Johnson, and if we didn't need Obokoh to land Bryant...which isn't even a sure thing.

Internet fanboys are free to cheer for whatever their programs do, but it's simply being sober minded to say that we've yet to land that second stud for 2013, and we were hoping to land 3 studs, but that appears less likely.
We will land 1 or 2 of Johnson Roberson Vonleh Lawrence.

Retract what? I said that we aim to do better in 2014, and so far we are.

Johnson reclassifying, so far, appears like it could be bad news. That seems to make our 2014 expectations a little tougher. We all already expected McCollugh, no surprise at all. A great, elite get, for sure, but we already expect to get great, elite talents...multiple ones, each year. That is why we are elite right now, because we have been doing that lately.

None of this is to say "the sky is falling," I merely said we have missed some targets in 2013, and Kentucky would fear us more if we had Lawrence instead of Johnson, and if we didn't need Obokoh to land Bryant...which isn't even a sure thing.

Being negative is not sober minded. I will be a fanboy you can be chicken little.

We will land 1 or 2 of Johnson Roberson Vonleh Lawrence.

Most of what I've heard is that we will land one, leaving us with only two studs for this class. But yea, if we land two of those guys, all critiques are off, that would be perfect. Are people actually hearing a high possibility of that?

Going into this recruiting season, our bare minimum expectation was 2 studs. At that time, we had a ton of players also in play for 2014. Now Johnson, Vonleh, Wiggins are all in this class, and we are still staring at our bare minimum expectation this year: 2 studs. Great, not awesome. Is that a complaint?

I like the program guys we landed, just hope we take a break from program guys next year and the year after. Seems like we will. I think we can all agree that we cannot get 2 program guys each for the next few seasons and still remain at the level we've been at.

I agree, but that is only two studs.

Going into this recruiting season, our bare minimum expectation was 2 studs. At that time, we had a ton of players also in play for 2014. Now Johnson, Vonleh, Wiggins are all in this class, and we are still staring at our bare minimum expectation this year: 2 studs. Great, not awesome. Is that a complaint?
Ennis was priority 1.
I like the program guys we landed, just hope we take a break from program guys next year and the year after. Seems like we will. I think we can all agree that we cannot get 2 program guys each for the next few seasons and still remain at the level we've been at.
Ennis was a major priority.

We will land 1 or 2 of Johnson Roberson Vonleh Lawrence

And Wiggins. A man can dream. Johnson and Wiggins this year? No.1 Class?

It's amazing how quickly things can change during something so fluid as NCAA recruiting. Hell and the season hasn't even started yet!

I think generally speaking, fans are underestimating the potential BJ Johnson. He is certainly in the MWC sleeper category worst case and best case explodes his senior year in the talent heavy Philly HS Bball scene. I mean, the kid is 6'7/165lb and ONLY 16 years old!! He had a huge summer and Nova/Temple thought they could scoop the kid on the down-low, but SU saw the talent. I think we are in for a treat and will be a top 50 kid in 2013 when its all said and done.

Ah Bnoro, good to see you are still spreading your version of logic couchburn

I don't understand why Cuse fans are acting small time and defensive about our failure to land our A-list players during this recruiting season.

Ennis, Noah, Lawrence, Anya were Syracuse's elite targets initially. Young, Seldon, and Roberson entered the mix as well, as less realistic targets. So far, among elite targets, Syracuse has gotten one of the 7 or 8 guys we have seriously targeted.

Clearly, we could do better, we have done better, and in 2014...we expect to do better. Taking three "program players" in a single class is an unmistakable step backwards from the amazing classes we have been reeling in during the recent years. I hope all of them are great, and it is very easy to get excited about each one, but we have to admit that Patterson, Obokoh, and Johnson would each likely be the worst player in any of our recent recruited classes, other than BMK or maybe Cooney. I think we can safely say that neither Patterson, Obokoh, or Johnson are expected to reach a talent level as high as Fab, Dion, MCW, Rak, Coleman, or Grant. Therefore, we expect less out of these new commits than we have recently enjoyed out of our all-american commits.

I very much think JB and the staff are outstanding judges of talent, and hopefully Johnson or someone blows up, but let's not force over-optimism like the lesser programs do. Syracuse can regularly put together the most intimidating talent in the country outside of Kentucky. That is roughly what we have done the past few years. This appears to be a small step back. Not a huge deal, but let's not pretend we don't know the difference between a Syracuse-level recruiting class and a Villanova-level recruiting class.

If we fail to land any of the following four:
(1) the stud '13 PF
(2) McCollough
(3) Briscoe; or
(4) Bryant

Kentucky is going to get a lot less scared of us. It's been our All-American hauls the past few years (Dion, Fab, Rak, MCW, etc.) that have truly lifted Cuse to elite status.

Also, I've talked to dozens of pro scouts, MCW is gone.

Where those the same pro scouts that told you Lee & Jefferson of LSU were first day draft locks? You're a joke.

Where those the same pro scouts that told you Lee & Jefferson of LSU were first day draft locks? You're a joke.

You interwebs fanboys sure get salty when pros stop by to clue you in. This is a basketball post, so your inaccurate quote from a football post is pathetic.

This is all I said about Jefferson and Lee:

"Here are 50 QBs who are better than Nassib right now:...
13. Jordan Jefferson, LSU, 223 Rating, ~250 total yards, 4 total TDs...
20. Jarrett Lee, LSU, 158 Rating, ~1300 total yards, 13 total TDs...
Compare to: Ryan Nassib, Syracuse, 137 Rating, ~1550 total yards, 17 total TDs"

I was simply stating an empirical fact, but you and a few like-minded Mod brown nosers keep trying to use your Walmart quality cleverness to zing me for being correct.

But to conclude this topic, B.J. Johnson is not yet nearly the talent that MCW is. People who are just assuming that one of these guys blows up like MCW are being optimistic, and I like that optimism. JB is awesome, maybe they are correct. I am merely pointing out that Obokoh, Johnson, and Patterson are not Kentucky, UNC, Duke, or Kansas quality recruits...as of yet. If they blow up, party city. If they don't, we had fair warning.

No need to pretend that our recent success is built on program guys, it is not, instead we have been riding the success of huge talents that every analyst loved and every school tried to get: Greene, Flynn, Scoop, Rick,, Joseph, Fab, and Dion. Wes also belongs in this group, because he was the most sought after transfer in the country when Syracuse recruited him: i.e., he was not under the radar. 100% of our recent leading scorers come from this group of stars that were widely lauded by every analyst when Syracuse landed them. 100% of our recent NBA first rounders comes from this group. MCW, Rak, and DC2 form the next core, and while we all know MCW improved his stock dramatically post-commit, these guys were all recognized as huge studs by the start of their senior year. One of these McDs will lead us in scoring the season, and these stars will be the first rounders that will play huge roles for us this season.

All local fans tend to overrate their program guys, especially the blue collar underdog types. Mods tend to reinforce this trend, and brown nosers take it to belligerent levels. If you want to rile up the mouthbreathers at any fanboard, just talk objectively about how limited some of their hard working program guys are. For example, I have a bigboy crush on some thickburger, which goes beyond reality, as I constantly want to pretend he is a first rounder, when let's face it, he has a lot of work to do to get there. I will grab my pitchfork and burn anyone's couch who doesn't realize Fair is the truth. Here's hoping all the best for our recent program recruits, but obviously all Cuse fans are hoping that these three go from "under the radar" to "everyone wants them."

You interwebs fanboys sure get salty when pros stop by to clue you in.

I was simply stating an empirical fact, but you and a few like-minded Mod brown nosers keep trying to use your Walmart quality cleverness to zing me for being correct.
Interwebs lol, too much reddit for you.

You interwebs fanboys sure get salty when pros stop by to clue you in. This is a basketball post, so your inaccurate quote from a football post is pathetic.

But to conclude this topic, B.J. Johnson is not yet nearly the talent that MCW is. People who are just assuming that one of these guys blows up like MCW are being optimistic, and I like that optimism. JB is awesome, maybe they are correct. I am merely pointing out that Obokoh, Johnson, and Patterson are not Kentucky, UNC, Duke, or Kansas quality recruits...as of yet. If they blow up, party city. If they don't, we had fair warning.

No need to pretend that our recent success is built on program guys, it is not, instead we have been riding the success of huge talents that every analyst loved and every school tried to get: Greene, Flynn, Scoop, Rick,, Joseph, Fab, and Dion. Wes also belongs in this group, because he was the most sought after transfer in the country when Syracuse recruited him: i.e., he was not under the radar. 100% of our recent leading scorers come from this group of stars that were widely lauded by every analyst when Syracuse landed them. 100% of our recent NBA first rounders comes from this group. MCW, Rak, and DC2 form the next core, and while we all know MCW improved his stock dramatically post-commit, these guys were all recognized as huge studs by the start of their senior year. One of these McDs will lead us in scoring the season, and these stars will be the first rounders that will play huge roles for us this season.

All local fans tend to overrate their program guys, especially the blue collar underdog types. Mods tend to reinforce this trend, and brown nosers take it to belligerent levels. If you want to rile up the mouthbreathers at any fanboard, just talk objectively about how limited some of their hard working program guys are. For example, I have a bigboy crush on some thickburger, which goes beyond reality, as I constantly want to pretend he is a first rounder, when let's face it, he has a lot of work to do to get there. I will grab my pitchfork and burn anyone's couch who doesn't realize Fair is the truth. Here's hoping all the best for our recent program recruits, but obviously all Cuse fans are hoping that these three go from "under the radar" to "everyone wants them."

Jordan Jefferson is high on the Denver Broncos draft board (same grade as Landry, Barkley, and Foles on Xander's board). Elway and Xanders know QBs pretty well. Jefferson could very well be a 3rd round pick. Lee also projects as a likely first day pick, but not this season.

That is what you said to my initial reply on that same thread asshat ... I like how you cherry pick your own words ... you have no common sense at all do you? Oh by the way .. Nassib has better numbers than Glennon against a tougher schedule. Do us all a favor and stop shooting your mouth off and disappear.

hpets06_Seg3ChillPills_i-756974.jpg

I love the way Coach B recuits and have a question for you. We have 9 on Scholly as I see it this year, 10 if you count Gbinije from Duke who has to sit out this year. (Williams, Grant, Fair, Cooney, Keita, Trische, Christmas, Coleman, and Southerland) Triche and Southerland are Seniors and will be gone next year. Assuming we have no early leavers for the NBA or other issues, that leaves us with 8 players. We already have 4 in this class, leaving just 1 open slot on the team. I think it is a no brainer if we can get a player like "Wiggins" JB would opt to use that 1 vacant position. Or do you think he will hold this position open for next year? Thoughts on this? I really like this kid "Roberson" but there are a few others as well. How about a Canadian Duo with Ennis feeding Wiggins? I understand that is he used that last scholly this year, he would have only 2 for next year, but we have McCullogh already in and a great shot at his buddy Whitehead so I have heard. That isn't a bad class right there for 14. Would you hold out that spot for next year or aggressively fill it now?

I do feel that Williams and Fair very well may leave next season as well, if they have good years that is. Williams for sure I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom