2013 recruiting class | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2013 recruiting class

Francis: please give us your assessment of the class so far, including Patterson and how the pieces will fit together in your expert opinion.
I think the class so far is solid. Getting one of the pure best PG, young wing, and a big with a high upside is nothing to complain about especially when the class isn't complete yet. Patterson on the other hand is the only one that I can admit to not being real excited about. Not because he isn't a good player because he is, but I don't believe he fits into what SU needed, which was another guard who can run point, penetrate and create for himself. I'm not expecting MCW back, so my concern for next season would be Ennis playing Jonny Flynn minutes because I dunno whose going to run point besides him. With that said, if we somehow still land Jordan and get that stud forward then it would be the icing on the cake :)

2014 will most likely feature McCullough, Whitehead, and Dakari Johnson. That's a top 5 class.
And that's being modest. Could even be #2 or #3.

And that's being modest. Could even be #2 or #3.
for some reason seeing the coach of football on this side of board...just doesnt seem right...you know...not yet a winning record.

Shouldnt we sign at least one of them before we celebrate our top 5 class for 2014? ;)

If we're worried about our '13 recruiting class as being the major factor that determines whether we make the tourney next year then the program would really be in bad shape. Chill bro, man it's amazing how much 'Melo changed people's perspective on college hoops...

just look at this years preseason all-american team,how many were elite kids?

plus patterson reminds me so much of scoop...

Scoop? Please explain? Patterson is much more athletic right now than Scoop ever was, and is a better shooter right now also.

People are questioning the commitment of Patterson because another point or combo guard was a priority. However, I think having two freshman playing the point next year would have sent Boeheim into retirement. Jordan would have been more of a project next year while Patterson can probably come in as a more experienced player and provide more immediate help. I'm sure the thinking is that Cooney or Gbinije could play some minutes at that position. They are seeing both these guys every day and maybe are seeing something.

If I had a nickel for every time someone made this thread . . .

the scary thing is that is hasnt happened on the bball side in years.

this is a football thread issue. and our football team is... not good.

i find it very troubling that a new syracuse fan posted a legit question on the forum (we haven't had so many marginal players according to offers and rank in a long time - not saying he is right or wrong, just that his question is valid) and 1/2 the board jumped down his throat like he was from gtown.

why is everyone so quick to pounce?

well, people have been pretty critical of that team.

but it still includes at least 2 5 stars.

I will worry when the staff makes moves out of desperation. These were all early commitments prior to the early signing period to players that the staff sees alot of potential. Patterson certainly does not appear to be a team need, but the staff offered and accepted his commitment. That excites me, because he must be something really special for them to pounce like that. I can't wait to see all of these players develop over the next couple years and welcome in other players, "elite" or not, because I have faith in this staff to choose athletes to fit in this system and turn them into a perennial top ten team.

Don't know if this has been posted yet. However with 4 or 5 in this class with Gbinije and only losing triche southerland and a possibility but i hope not of MCW leaving. Where do we get the scholarships to bring in the studs for '14?

Don't know if this has been posted yet. However with 4 or 5 in this class with Gbinije and only losing triche southerland and a possibility but i hope not of MCW leaving. Where do we get the scholarships to bring in the studs for '14?

At the very least, Keita and Fair's scholarships will be off the books, plus Christmas or Coleman depending on their draft status. Regardless, it's way too early to worry about that.

You need to do some research then.

The "elite recruits" we have struck out on were leans to other schools and pipe dreams to come here (Selden, Young, etc.) Patterson was a kid who committed to Indiana last year, definitely not a "role player". We have two high upside guys in BJJ and Okoboh. Ennis is going to be a star. We're going to get one of Roberson, Vonleh.

2014 will most likely feature McCullough, Whitehead, and Dakari Johnson. That's a top 5 class.
2015 will most likely feature Briscoe and Bryant. Those two are top 50 players.

Who cares what the class is ranked on Rivals/Scout/ESPN?

Ah Bnoro, good to see you are still spreading your version of logic couchburn

I don't understand why Cuse fans are acting small time and defensive about our failure to land our A-list players during this recruiting season.

Ennis, Noah, Lawrence, Anya were Syracuse's elite targets initially. Young, Seldon, and Roberson entered the mix as well, as less realistic targets. So far, among elite targets, Syracuse has gotten one of the 7 or 8 guys we have seriously targeted.

Clearly, we could do better, we have done better, and in 2014...we expect to do better. Taking three "program players" in a single class is an unmistakable step backwards from the amazing classes we have been reeling in during the recent years. I hope all of them are great, and it is very easy to get excited about each one, but we have to admit that Patterson, Obokoh, and Johnson would each likely be the worst player in any of our recent recruited classes, other than BMK or maybe Cooney. I think we can safely say that neither Patterson, Obokoh, or Johnson are expected to reach a talent level as high as Fab, Dion, MCW, Rak, Coleman, or Grant. Therefore, we expect less out of these new commits than we have recently enjoyed out of our all-american commits.

I very much think JB and the staff are outstanding judges of talent, and hopefully Johnson or someone blows up, but let's not force over-optimism like the lesser programs do. Syracuse can regularly put together the most intimidating talent in the country outside of Kentucky. That is roughly what we have done the past few years. This appears to be a small step back. Not a huge deal, but let's not pretend we don't know the difference between a Syracuse-level recruiting class and a Villanova-level recruiting class.

If we fail to land any of the following four:
(1) the stud '13 PF
(2) McCollough
(3) Briscoe; or
(4) Bryant

Kentucky is going to get a lot less scared of us. It's been our All-American hauls the past few years (Dion, Fab, Rak, MCW, etc.) that have truly lifted Cuse to elite status.

Also, I've talked to dozens of pro scouts, MCW is gone.

I think the class so far is solid. Getting one of the pure best PG, young wing, and a big with a high upside is nothing to complain about especially when the class isn't complete yet. Patterson on the other hand is the only one that I can admit to not being real excited about. Not because he isn't a good player because he is, but I don't believe he fits into what SU needed, which was another guard who can run point, penetrate and create for himself. I'm not expecting MCW back, so my concern for next season would be Ennis playing Jonny Flynn minutes because I dunno whose going to run point besides him. With that said, if we somehow still land Jordan and get that stud forward then it would be the icing on the cake :)

Do we have enough ships left for both Jordan and one of Roberson/Wiggins etc. I thought we had 5 to give?

Do we have enough ships left for both Jordan and one of Roberson/Wiggins etc. I thought we had 5 to give?
Roberson's decision will dictate the rest. If he commits then most likely Jordan is knocked out of the equation. If he goes elsewhere then I could see the staff still targeting Jordan and then see what happens with the forwards in the spring.

Kentucky is going to get a lot less scared of us. It's been our All-American hauls the past few years (Dion, Fab, Rak, MCW, etc.) that have truly lifted Cuse to elite status.
Ah yes, Fab, who never played at an elite level here and was drafted on potential, now heading to the D-League. Rak, who barely got any meaningful PT last year. MCW, who played stretches of 5-10 minutes last year and looked average.

Those guys pushed us to "elite status"? What are you talking about? Sure, I think Rak and MCW will be very good for us, but outside of Dion, has any one of them made our program any better than it was before? No.

It was "program guys" like Kris, Scoop, Rick Jackson, AO, CJ, Brandon Triche, Andy, and Devo, along with sprinkled in talents in Jonny, Dion, and Wes that have had our program consistently competing with the big boys.

Syracuse's recent history has been completely built on "program guys", not one and done players. Recruiting means nothing in the eyes of 90% of fans. All that matters is performance when they get here. If BJ Johnson (who's only 16) comes here and blows up as a freshman, no one will know where he was on Syracuse's recruiting board.

Also please don't preach to me on reality, I know far more about the state of Syracuse recruiting than you do, and Francis has also seconded my sentiments.

I don't understand why Cuse fans are acting small time and defensive about our failure to land our A-list players during this recruiting season.

Ennis, Noah, Lawrence, Anya were Syracuse's elite targets initially. Young, Seldon, and Roberson entered the mix as well, as less realistic targets. So far, among elite targets, Syracuse has gotten one of the 7 or 8 guys we have seriously targeted.

Clearly, we could do better, we have done better, and in 2014...we expect to do better. Taking three "program players" in a single class is an unmistakable step backwards from the amazing classes we have been reeling in during the recent years. I hope all of them are great, and it is very easy to get excited about each one, but we have to admit that Patterson, Obokoh, and Johnson would each likely be the worst player in any of our recent recruited classes, other than BMK or maybe Cooney. I think we can safely say that neither Patterson, Obokoh, or Johnson are expected to reach a talent level as high as Fab, Dion, MCW, Rak, Coleman, or Grant. Therefore, we expect less out of these new commits than we have recently enjoyed out of our all-american commits.

I very much think JB and the staff are outstanding judges of talent, and hopefully Johnson or someone blows up, but let's not force over-optimism like the lesser programs do. Syracuse can regularly put together the most intimidating talent in the country outside of Kentucky. That is roughly what we have done the past few years. This appears to be a small step back. Not a huge deal, but let's not pretend we don't know the difference between a Syracuse-level recruiting class and a Villanova-level recruiting class.

(1) the stud '13 PF
(2) McCollough
(3) Briscoe; or
(4) Bryant

I don't know why you are throwing Anya in as one of the elite recruits we lost out on. I never thought the staff felt he was a must get. We will get either Vonleh, Roberson or Lawrence, maybe even 2 of the 3. Any combination of those 4 is very good. Batting 500 is not good?

Ah yes, Fab, who never played at an elite level here and was drafted on potential, now heading to the D-League. Rak, who barely got any meaningful PT last year. MCW, who played stretches of 5-10 minutes last year and looked average.

Those guys pushed us to "elite status"? What are you talking about? Sure, I think Rak and MCW will be very good for us, but outside of Dion, has any one of them made our program any better than it was before? No.

It was "program guys" like Kris, Scoop, Rick Jackson, AO, CJ, Brandon Triche, Andy, and Devo, along with sprinkled in talents in Jonny, Dion, and Wes that have had our program consistently competing with the big boys.

Syracuse's recent history has been completely built on "program guys", not one and done players. Recruiting means nothing in the eyes of 90% of fans. All that matters is performance when they get here. If BJ Johnson (who's only 16) comes here and blows up as a freshman, no one will know where he was on Syracuse's recruiting board.

Also please don't preach to me on reality, I know far more about the state of Syracuse recruiting than you do, and Francis has also seconded my sentiments.

This is a pretty well-rounded post. Good job.

I agree! Ratings/Rankings are not the bible. Let's be honest it's Syracuse and they are going to get plenty of stud athletes. I just hope they continue getting the players with high basketball IQs. I love squeezing for players like Pace, Fair, Warrick, Rautins, Wes J., A.O., Triche, Etan, Allen Griffin who weren't highly rated out of high school. I can remember getting pretty peeved watching players Cuse has had that were highly rated that I felt like never took the time to understand the game. Bottom line...Let's Go Orange

(1) the stud '13 PF
(2) McCollough
(3) Briscoe; or
(4) Bryant

Wow! That's at least 36 pro scouts, because if it was 2 dozen you would have said two dozen, not dozens. ;) I'm more interested in what MCW has to say about whether or not he is going to the NBA.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

(1) the stud '13 PF
(2) McCollough
(3) Briscoe; or
(4) Bryant

Care to retract?

Care to retract?
It's funny because of those 4 he listed, 1 just committed, 2 are only uncommitted because they want to take their visits, and the 4th might or might not happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom