2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Pretty interesting pattern developing here re: the Bills' penalties...I don't have the time or inclination to run a statistical analysis here, but optically the numbers/pattern is interesting:

The Bills have played three "franchise" teams this season so far...the Colts, Patriots and Giants. (The Colts are teetering on the franchise side at the moment, clinging to the "Manning Years" but I would expect they fall back over time). They've played 2 non-franchise teams: Dolphins & Titans

Penalties

Bills 11 Colts 5
Bills 14 Patriots 11
Bills 5 Dolphins 6
Bills 17 Giants 11
Bills 7 Titans 9

It is pretty interesting how the Bills become "undisciplined" vs. the Franchise teams and much better vs. the Non-franchise squads. Avg 14 penalties in Franchise games vs. just 6 in non-franchise games. The opponents' number is interesting as well: 9 for Franchise, 7.5 not.

So the games vs. Franchise the Bills have a +5 penalty differential, vs. -1.5 non-franchise.

Also, the Franchise differential is misleading at +5, it's actually much more since as I've documented on here the differential is much higher in the first half when the game is in doubt and then the opponents seem to violate more rules in the 2H (or the referees see a large disparity and start flagging the opponent more).

I'd love to get into the "discretionary vs. non-discretionary" but I don't have time

I continue, unsurprisingly, to believe that there is bias in the NFL.

Pretty interesting pattern developing here re: the Bills' penalties...I don't have the time or inclination to run a statistical analysis here, but optically the numbers/pattern is interesting:

The Bills have played three "franchise" teams this season so far...the Colts, Patriots and Giants. (The Colts are teetering on the franchise side at the moment, clinging to the "Manning Years" but I would expect they fall back over time). They've played 2 non-franchise teams: Dolphins & Titans

Penalties

Bills 11 Colts 5
Bills 14 Patriots 11
Bills 5 Dolphins 6
Bills 17 Giants 11
Bills 7 Titans 9

It is pretty interesting how the Bills become "undisciplined" vs. the Franchise teams and much better vs. the Non-franchise squads. Avg 14 penalties in Franchise games vs. just 6 in non-franchise games. The opponents' number is interesting as well: 9 for Franchise, 7.5 not.

So the games vs. Franchise the Bills have a +5 penalty differential, vs. -1.5 non-franchise.

Also, the Franchise differential is misleading at +5, it's actually much more since as I've documented on here the differential is much higher in the first half when the game is in doubt and then the opponents seem to violate more rules in the 2H (or the referees see a large disparity and start flagging the opponent more).

I'd love to get into the "discretionary vs. non-discretionary" but I don't have time

I continue, unsurprisingly, to believe that there is bias in the NFL.
Just because the Dolphins have struggled the past 10 years they are a franchise team my god. They have won 2 SBs and lost 3 SBs. They are one of 8 teams with multiple SBs.

This tin foil stuff is crazy. The Bills had a lot of stupid PF penalties against the Pats because Ryan had that team playing the SB week 2. The Bills committed 3 penalties on one onside kick against the Pats. This garbage is crazy. The NFL is incompetent see last night with the clock management. If you think the NFL wanted to 18 seconds away from the Steelers your crazy.

Just because the Dolphins have struggled the past 10 years they are a franchise team my god. They have won 2 SBs and lost 3 SBs. They are one of 8 teams with multiple SBs.

This tin foil stuff is crazy. The Bills had a lot of stupid PF penalties against the Pats because Ryan had that team playing the SB week 2. The Bills committed 3 penalties on one onside kick against the Pats. This garbage is crazy. The NFL is incompetent see last night with the clock management. If you think the NFL wanted to 18 seconds away from the Steelers your crazy.
I'm not a tin-foil "they're out to get Buffalo" guy but I do ABSOLUTELY think there is a difference in officiating between small market teams vs big market/money franchises. The Giants game was just too much for me to take and literally pushed me over the edge into thinking, yes, the NFL is absolutely biased and somewhat rigged.

I would imagine the Chargers may have been interested in trying to use those last 18 seconds.

Ya to the surprise of nobody who has watched football in the last 20yrs, 2:36 wasn't not enough time for the team getting the ball (it's incredible that it almost was). If you're going to rig the clock at least do it in the right spot.

Eh, Chargers deserved to lose for not having an offensive line. That being said, how you can get called for a hit to prevent a TD (defenseless player), but Shamarko not get called for helmet to helmet (spearing) b4 his fumble recovery is beyond me.

I was all over NE -8 vs. a Weeden team with zero homefield advantage. But -7.5 if Luck is healthy I think is inflated. The "they mad" storyline is already old; they always play mad.

Ya the Bills definitely need those skill guys back. Good news is it sounds like Watkins will be. Also playing a team after Seattle as opposed to extra rest for once could be a plus.

When is the last time the Colts have been within 2 touchdowns of the Patriots in a game?

Eh, Chargers deserved to lose for not having an offensive line. That being said, how you can get called for a hit to prevent a TD (defenseless player), but Shamarko not get called for helmet to helmet (spearing) b4 his fumble recovery is beyond me.
This is why a lot of us say officials decide more games than the players. The NFL has done a great job creating parity, and because of that parity, one call this way, one call that way OR, in many of these games, multiple bad calls one way and that sways the balance of the game.

Bottom Line, there are way too many discretionary calls going on and it's grossly inconsistent from team to team.

This is why a lot of us say officials decide more games than the players. The NFL has done a great job creating parity, and because of that parity, one call this way, one call that way OR, in many of these games, multiple bad calls one way and that sways the balance of the game.

Bottom Line, there are way too many discretionary calls going on and it's grossly inconsistent from team to team.

Make every play reviewable and there is no longer this issue. I think it'll happen next year.

Make every play reviewable and there is no longer this issue. I think it'll happen next year.
By every play, do you mean a blatant hold that doesn't get called resulting in a 40 yard gain could be challenged and the refs would look and determine holding and on the flip side, could you challenge a TD called back for holding hoping to have that overturned as a bad call?

By every play, do you mean a blatant hold that doesn't get called resulting in a 40 yard gain could be challenged and the refs would look and determine holding and on the flip side, could you challenge a TD called back for holding hoping to have that overturned as a bad call?

I'm not sure if every penalty will be reviewable, but I'm sure they are getting to a point where some will, especially they blatant stuff officials just miss.

Rules in the NFL are so arbitrary. They don't even call everything in the rulebook now. Like it doesn't make sense why they call personal fouls on the defense for hits to the head, but they don't call personal fouls for ball carriers that lower the crown of their helmet to initiate contact with the defender. This is exactly how Carlos Hyde gave Jon Beasen a concussion on Sunday night.

I know I'm in the minority but the arbitrary flags that could be thrown on any play and can never realistically be corrected are why I don't need replay period.

I'll always cite the SF-Carolina playoff game a couple years ago, which I had no rooting interest. SF has their first two FG drives extended on awful personal foul penalties. Even Troy Aikman couldn't believe it. Anquan Boldin headbutts a defender after a play in front of the ref, no flag. Vernon Davis catches a TD at the end of the half, ruled incomplete. I mean, SF has already been handed 6pts. Is it really a crime against humanity if they got robbed of 4pts there? But they reviewed it and "got it right". Congratulations I guess. Not to mention all the times a replay shows the call was probably wrong but not definitive, or even overturning a call that was right.

I'm not sure if every penalty will be reviewable, but I'm sure they are getting to a point where some will, especially they blatant stuff officials just miss.

Rules in the NFL are so arbitrary. They don't even call everything in the rulebook now. Like it doesn't make sense why they call personal fouls on the defense for hits to the head, but they don't call personal fouls for ball carriers that lower the crown of their helmet to initiate contact with the defender. This is exactly how Carlos Hyde gave Jon Beasen a concussion on Sunday night.
Everything but offensive holding should be reviewable.

EJ Manuel's turn? He could get Cinci and Jax before the bye to try and create a QB controversy.

MCL Sprain for Tyrod Taylor, could be out a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Trading Matt Cassel now looks bad but the draft pick was worth it. After watching Jax play they suck you should win that game but Cincy with Manuel will now be a L most likely.

EJ Manuel's turn. He's going to get Cinci and Jax before the bye to try and create a QB controversy.

MCL Sprain for Tyrod Taylor, will be out a couple weeks.

After watching EJ Manuel against the Chargers last year (I think he was benched after that game), I am quite certain he's the worst QB of all time. At least out of the ones I have seen play obviously. I am basing all of this on one game, but I'm okay with that.

And we had JaMarcus Russell and Tebow in the AFC West btw. Hopefully he's improved...a lot.

EJ looked dramatically improved in preseason. I know, it's just preseason but you could see a difference in his accuracy and mechanics.

He sat 75% of last year and has gotten a chance to compete and learn with/from Tyrod Taylor. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if EJ plays well. It's not like our offense has been killin it these past 2 games, although that's a lot to do with injuries as well.

I see Taylor as our QB for the long term but EJ looked different in preseason. Regardless, I would rather start EJ over Cassell anyway.

Well good game 2015.
Its an MCL Sprain, he "could" miss the next two games and also "could" play. EJ will most likely start but Taylor, at the worst, will be back after the bye. It's not a season killer, especially in the AFC.

EJ looked dramatically improved in preseason. I know, it's just preseason but you could see a difference in his accuracy and mechanics.

He sat 75% of last year and has gotten a chance to compete and learn with/from Tyrod Taylor. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if EJ plays well. It's not like our offense has been killin it these past 2 games, although that's a lot to do with injuries as well.

I see Taylor as our QB for the long term but EJ looked different in preseason. Regardless, I would rather start EJ over Cassell anyway.

Agree 100% about EJ over Cassell. I'm still fine with trading Cassell. Cassell had one good year here in KC but when it went downhill, it was ugly - real ugly. I saw enough to be pretty sure that he's not the answer - if we're asking the right question.

Agree 100% about EJ over Cassell. I'm still fine with trading Cassell. Cassell had one good year here in KC but when it went downhill, it was ugly - real ugly. I saw enough to be pretty sure that he's not the answer - if we're asking the right question.

Yeah I was pretty happy when they cut Cassell after camp and then not very happy when they resigned him and named him the #2. Still wondering if they did that to use him as potential trade bait, which they ended up making happen two weeks into the season.

I agree that EJ looked absolutely horrid last year. That game against the Texans still drives me mad. However, I thought he showed a lot of potential before he got hurt in the Cleveland game his rookie year. Remember, the plan was never to have him come in and start right away. It was supposed to be Kolb's job and EJ was going to sit and learn.

This article from over the summer, about how board whipping-boy Doug Marrone completely mis-handled EJ, makes me not want to write him off just yet: http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...arterback-then-vanished-with-4-million-071515

I'm honestly a bit excited to see EJ (assuming Tyrod can't go). I love what Tyrod has done so far, but I really liked what I saw from EJ in the preseason. And I'm glad it won't be Cassel starting in his place. We've basically seen what the offense would look like with Cassel at the helm. That first half of the Patriots game when all Tyrod did was check it down for 3 and outs; that's the Cassel offense. EJ can simply do more things on the football field than Cassel can.

I'm honestly a bit excited to see EJ (assuming Tyrod can't go). I love what Tyrod has done so far, but I really liked what I saw from EJ in the preseason. And I'm glad it won't be Cassel starting in his place. We've basically seen what the offense would look like with Cassel at the helm. That first half of the Patriots game when all Tyrod did was check it down for 3 and outs; that's the Cassel offense. EJ can simply do more things on the football field than Cassel can.
I think Tyrod Taylor has the "it" factor and a lot of talent. He could absolutely be the franchise QB, but I agree, if he can't go, I am excited to see how EJ has progressed in real game action against a good team.

It could get real interesting if he balls out, and with what sounds like Watkins and Williams coming back, you just might see that... (Remember, this offense was putting up 30+ per game before Watkins, Williams and McCoy all went out)

We won't have McCoy but we should have Karlos in the backfield with Clay, Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Hogan and Goodwin. Goodwin is a guy to watch because the staff loves him, he's finally healthy and with Watkins and Harvin demanding attention, Goodwin should be able to torch whatever DB's try to defend him.