2017-18 Coaching Carousel | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2017-18 Coaching Carousel

Houston hiring Kendal Briles to be OC
Major Applewhite is also hiring former Baylor OL coach Randy Clements so they are presumably the latest members of the cult.

Briles was hired away from Lane Kiffin, who might well be looking to bring in another member of the cult to be his new OC.

The AFCA convention begins tomorrow in Charlotte. It runs until Wednesday. I would expect we will know who will fill out the SU staff by the point...

Today's the last day of the AFCA convention.
We should hear some news about new SU coaches pretty soon, shouldn't we?
Isn't this convention expected to be a big hiring event?

I would expect to see some announcements by the end of next week, possibly sooner.

Dino will have interviewed many candidates, but candidates will have multiple offers. Responsibilities and contracts will need to be negotiated.

If there’s someone with prior cult associations that wants all-in and Dino is sold then it could happen sooner.

It is. I think with the 10th coach just being added, there are an unprecedented number of coaching jobs to fill and the competition to fill them is very high.

Syracuse is never going to be on top in terms of salary being offered. Schools like SU might need to be patient if they want to move up in the pecking order and get the open positions filled ASAP. Either that or change their salary structure significantly.

It is. I think with the 10th coach just being added, there are an unprecedented number of coaching jobs to fill and the competition to fill them is very high.

Syracuse is never going to be on top in terms of salary being offered. Schools like SU might need to be patient if they want to move up in the pecking order and get the open positions filled ASAP. Either that or change their salary structure significantly.

I've seen a couple of these 10th coach spots filled recently and they were both GA's who were promoted. It'll be tough for the schools who have to watch salaries.

I've seen a couple of these 10th coach spots filled recently and they were both GA's who were promoted. It'll be tough for the schools who have to watch salaries.
Yes. Big name/big budget schools are hiring big dollar, big names for the 10th coaching slot. Most of the rest are doing what you say, hiring from within, moving up a GA or an operations person.

I would expect this to happen for Syracuse but I think with the OC position open, they might end up using the 2nd position to allow the new OC to bring one of their coaches to the staff.

If we promote someone, I think it will be Asil Mulbah. He spoke at the last SU Orange Club golf outing at Seneca Falls and was impressive.

I would expect to see some announcements by the end of next week, possibly sooner.

Dino will have interviewed many candidates, but candidates will have multiple offers. Responsibilities and contracts will need to be negotiated.

If there’s someone with prior cult associations that wants all-in and Dino is sold then it could happen sooner.
Does Wildhack need to formally approve of any new hires within the AD?

Yes. Big name/big budget schools are hiring big dollar, big names for the 10th coaching slot. Most of the rest are doing what you say, hiring from within, moving up a GA or an operations person.

I would expect this to happen for Syracuse but I think with the OC position open, they might end up using the 2nd position to allow the new OC to bring one of their coaches to the staff.

If we promote someone, I think it will be Asil Mulbah. He spoke at the last SU Orange Club golf outing at Seneca Falls and was impressive.
I like the idea of trying to attract a "bigger" name for the open Co-OC position by letting him bring in one of his own coaches.

As part of the carousel -

UVa hired UT-San Antonio's Special Teams Coordinator to serve in that capacity as our 10th coach. I believe it had been someone's split duty. We also hired Arizona State's S&C coach after Chip Kelly hired away ours for UCLA. The new S&C coach had followed Todd Graham around from Tulsa to Pitt to ASU.

As part of the carousel -

UVa hired UT-San Antonio's Special Teams Coordinator to serve in that capacity as our 10th coach. I believe it had been someone's split duty. We also hired Arizona State's S&C coach after Chip Kelly hired away ours for UCLA. The new S&C coach had followed Todd Graham around from Tulsa to Pitt to ASU.
That's what I hope we can do - hire a current position coach from a smaller school (MAC/Sun Belt) or even D-1AA for the 10th spot.

But the OC position isn't open. Lynch is still the OC. I think it will be QB Coach, Asst. Strength Coach and a promoted GA to be the 10th coach.

But the OC position isn't open. Lynch is still the OC. I think it will be QB Coach, Asst. Strength Coach and a promoted GA to be the 10th coach.

Yes, that;s my guess as well.

I've rolled some different scenarios around and something I could see happening is a re-shuffling of the offensive staff whereby Lynch goes full OC but the QB spot is filled internally and a new offensive coach is hired to coach RBs, WR's, TEs etc. Maybe even OL and Lynch picks up QBs. Just some different scenarios I've rolled around.

The GA I see getting promoted is Lanear Sampson. I had no idea he was even on our staff. Has a good young resume and someone from the 'tree'. Same with LePak (TE) and both from Texas.

Syracuse University Athletics - 2017 Football Coaching Staff

Yes, that;s my guess as well.

I've rolled some different scenarios around and something I could see happening is a re-shuffling of the offensive staff whereby Lynch goes full OC but the QB spot is filled internally and a new offensive coach is hired to coach RBs, WR's, TEs etc. Maybe even OL and Lynch picks up QBs. Just some different scenarios I've rolled around.

The GA I see getting promoted is Lanear Sampson. I had no idea he was even on our staff. Has a good young resume and someone from the 'tree'. Same with LePak (TE) and both from Texas.

Syracuse University Athletics - 2017 Football Coaching Staff
And I hate to say this but monetarily it makes sense not to hire another co-OC. More money for the rest of the staff and a tenth coach.

And I hate to say this but monetarily it makes sense not to hire another co-OC. More money for the rest of the staff and a tenth coach.

agreed, we have an OC and a HC who has the system, we really don't need another OC. Qb coach will get hired and as Phat said maybe a promotion, hardly something that will invoke much excitement. Our best Qb coach I can remember had zero experience coaching QB's and is now the OC for Jville

agreed, we have an OC and a HC who has the system, we really don't need another OC. Qb coach will get hired and as Phat said maybe a promotion, hardly something that will invoke much excitement. Our best Qb coach I can remember had zero experience coaching QB's and is now the OC for Jville

We don't need another OC, but we might need another play caller. I know Dino would not reveal how they handled the playing calling internally, but it always seemed to me like Lewis was the one calling the plays. He was definitely the one signaling the calls from the sideline.

For all I really know, Lynch might have been calling the plays, and/or Dino. We have seen that it doesn't always go real well for first time play callers here.

Does Wildhack need to formally approve of any new hires within the AD?
One would think so. HCDB knows how much room is left in the budget and whether or not a candidate is worth fighting for.

Am I the only one to think this is weird? Schiano secures an SEC head coaching position only to have the rug pulled from under him. So he remains at OSU. Now OSU hires a coach to share the title?

Last edited:
Am I the only one to think this is weird? Schiano secures an SEC head coaching position only to have the rug pulled from under him. So he remains at OSU. Now OSU hires a coach to share the title?
He’s set up to take over for Schiano when he inevitably moves on to be a HC. He’s already making $100k more than Schiano at $800k.