2017 Cuse lineup predictions. | Syracusefan.com

2017 Cuse lineup predictions.

jr4750

All American
Ugh, pains me to do this, sans championship, but another year has come to a close. Congrats to UNC, who couldn't stay within earshot of us on two occasions, but got it done in May. Thanks to Maltz, Mullins, and the crew for 4/5 solid years in Orange. Alas, its times to make some predictions on what we have coming back and how we might stack up next year. I have seen some smart ideas in other threads, but figured I would start a cumulative one and give mine.

Attack:
Evans, Solomon, Thorpe

Interesting year at attack with a ton of space finally opened. After Rice in '15 and now Dylan in '16, those are two holes that were filled securely for years. New blood is needed and has great opportunity. Keep an eye out for Devin Shewell to join in the fun as well.

Midfield:
1st Line - Lane, Mariano, Salcido
2nd Line - Carlin, McKinney, Romano
3rd Line - Weston, Simmons, Trimboli

Keeping the boys together on 1st midfield. Think Salcido needs to work on his ability to beat the pole, which will make that 1st line very strong. As much as moving Mariano makes sense, as some have argued elsewhere, need to play percentages, and make a super strong 1st line as opposed to diluting talent by pushing him up to attack. That is unless, someone like Romano or Trimboli come in fast and ready in the Fall. Second line is stacked with athletes and size, but hardly any experience. Really need someone to step up. Not sure anyone could have predicted Salcido's year, so hopefully someone new emerges here. On 1st line, Lane has got to learn how to use his size effectively more often. Needs to play big when needed and be a gunner when called upon.

Defense:
LSM Firman, Fusco (locks)
SSDM - Cifferi, Schwansick, Gillis (locks)
Close - Bomberry, Cunningham, Mellen

Tons of openings on close for 2017. SSDM and LSM are fairly well locked in. Paduda may get some run on SSDM again. As for close, well, theres opportunity for sure. Mullins and McDermott, played a ton of lax for us. Listed the three who I thought had the best chance, not knowing how some of these freshman will look. Also a kid like Andrew Helmer, who red-shirted has a shot to get on the field here as well. Perhaps as a LSM, or maybe on close. SO GLAD that we have Molloy coming back and that he got experience here last year. Can you imagine a new goalie and two new close starters? Yikes! Mellen is as solid as they come, but its nice to be able to break in a new D with an experienced keeper. This potential close defense, could start together for 3 years. Year one begins in 2017.

Keeper: Molloy

Kid played well up to Maryland. Behind him are Avallone and Madonna, but think its his job to lose, and imagine he will do a good job back there in 2017.

Eh, well those are my suggestions. Didn't even bother listing Ben, lock city, and already am scared about him graduating! Wing play with Paduda and Luke S, was good, and should be better in 2017. Firman also was solid there.

Credit for this goes to ohmilax34 over on Laxpower, but in regards to the last time Cuse moved a "star," player from midfield to attack, and that individual garnered All American status, 2001 Josh Coffman went from 1st teamer as a middie to 1st teamer on attack. Now Mariano was an attackman for 2 years so different case in this regard, but interesting nonetheless.

Nice job.

Second line attack?
How about: Shewell, Voigt, & Wisnauskas

Intrigued by Wisnauskas. Put up solid numbers in a tough HS league, and was the starting QB on the football team. Big kid too.

Attack:
Evans, Soloman, Shewell, with Thorpe starting over Evans mid-way through the season.
Middie:
1st: Mariano, Slacido, Lane
2nd: Romano, McKinney, Maybe Gillis?
3rd: Weston, Simmons, Carlin or Trimboli

Defense: Mellen, Cunningham, 3rd spot very much up for grabs

Goalie: Molloy

There is usually a surprise or two thrown in each year when it comes to the Syracuse starting six so I wouldn't be surprised if there is one this fall or next spring as well.

I will have a full post about it at some point but I will re-iterate my potential starting lineup here again with a few twists.

Attack- Solomon, Evans, Shewell/player not on the current roster
To me Solomon and Evans are locks at this point. Staff is to invested in Evans to turn back now and Solomon played the most of the young attackmen especially late in the year. I am big on Thorpe but until SU has an established feeder/QB at attack he will be severely limited as he pretty much a pure finisher at this point. He is not a dodging threat and while he can move with the ball to get a look its far from his strong suit. Once SU has Solomon up to speed on being that guy (or someone else) he will become a dangerous player. Shewell gets the nod for now as the 3rd attackmen but don't be surprised if SU goes outside of the current roster via a transfer to get an experienced guy to fill the third spot. They have on already on the way in Refuss and I wouldn't be surprised if there is another.

Second Attack Line - Thorpe, Voight, Rehfuss

Midfield
1st line - Salcido, Mariano, Trimboli
2nd line - Westin, Lane, Romano
3rd Line - Simmons, Carlin, McKinney, or Hutchings /Sawyer/O'reilly

Went a little dark horse with the Trimboli pick but SU needs to infuse some young talent with Sergio and Mariano in their final years and Trimboli is potentially that guy. He's putting up big numbers now and would be able to learn under two experienced and likely 1st team all ACC guys next year.

For the second line there is no way Westin isn't on it. Desko always gives Seniors first dibs when it comes to middies and having been on the second line two years straight I see no scenario he isn't on the second line next year. Lane has been a popular pick for the 1st line next year but I think hes more effective staying where he is. He will likely be on the man up unit next year and being on the second line he can continue to develop without the added pressure. Went outside the box again with the Romano pick but like I said before its a Frosh (redshirt) sandwiched between two veterans who has the most complete offensive game of anyone not on the 1st line. With good health he can make a big impact.

Third line is a total crapshoot. I expect all the incoming middies to redshirt save for Trimboli and Sawyer. Simmons really struggled this year so I think he is in the most danger of seeing a bump down. None of the redshirt frosh middies really made an impression this past season. McKinney saw the most time but had little in the way of production. Carlin or Ford breaking out a bit would be a nice development. Keep an eye on Hutchings and Sawyer (if hes not moved to SSDM).

There is usually a surprise or two thrown in each year when it comes to the Syracuse starting six so I wouldn't be surprised if there is one this fall or next spring as well.

I will have a full post about it at some point but I will re-iterate my potential starting lineup here again with a few twists.

To me Solomon and Evans are locks at this point. Staff is to invested in Evans to turn back now and Solomon played the most of the young attackmen especially late in the year. I am big on Thorpe but until SU has an established feeder/QB at attack he will be severely limited as he pretty much a pure finisher at this point. He is not a dodging threat and while he can move with the ball to get a look its far from his strong suit. Once SU has Solomon up to speed on being that guy (or someone else) he will become a dangerous player. Shewell gets the nod for now as the 3rd attackmen but don't be surprised if SU goes outside of the current roster via a transfer to get an experienced guy to fill the third spot. They have on already on the way in Refuss and I wouldn't be surprised if there is another.

Midfield

Went a little dark horse with the Trimboli pick but SU needs to infuse some young talent with Sergio and Mariano in their final years and Trimboli is potentially that guy. He's putting up big numbers now and would be able to learn under two experienced and likely 1st team all ACC guys next year.

For the second line there is no way Westin isn't on it. Desko always gives Seniors first dibs when it comes to middies and having been on the second line two years straight I see no scenario he isn't on the second line next year. Lane has been a popular pick for the 1st line next year but I think hes more effective staying where he is. He will likely be on the man up unit next year and being on the second line he can continue to develop without the added pressure. Went outside the box again with the Romano pick but like I said before its a Frosh (redshirt) sandwiched between two veterans who has the most complete offensive game of anyone not on the 1st line. With good health he can make a big impact.

Third line is a total crapshoot. I expect all the incoming middies to redshirt save for Trimboli and Sawyer. Simmons really struggled this year so I think he is in the most danger of seeing a bump down. None of the redshirt frosh middies really made an impression this past season. McKinney saw the most time but had little in the way of production. Carlin or Ford breaking out a bit would be a nice development. Keep an eye on Hutchings and Sawyer (if hes not moved to SSDM).

What's the deal with Sawyer? Looks like he sat out this year at OCC. North Carolina kid.

Helmer was a highly rated defense recruit. DiPietro is also highly rated recruit for the fall.

What's the deal with Sawyer? Looks like he sat out this year at OCC. North Carolina kid.

Helmer was a highly rated defense recruit. DiPietro is also highly rated recruit for the fall.

Sawyer is a bit of a head scratcher at this point. He has 2 to play 2 with no room for a redshirt. My initial thought was perhaps they want to move him to SSDM a la Grimm and Pratt a few years ago. Either that or they are not happy with the midfield depth despite having about 15 middies on the roster next fall. Interesting to see what happens with him.

Helmer, Dipetro, Diltz, Chavez, lots of potential options at long pole and that's not taking into account Bomberry and Cunningham who look like the potential repalcements for Mullins and McDermott. One of those guys will probably get moved to LSM full time to be the backup to Fusco with Firman being a Sr.

Midfield

Wonder if any of the UVA guys think about leaving. I would gladly grad D'Amario (Nisky) or Zed Williams (Buffalo Area) and have them on attack.

Wonder if any of the UVA guys think about leaving. I would gladly grad D'Amario (Nisky) or Zed Williams (Buffalo Area) and have them on attack.

ACC does not allow inter-conference transfers so unfortunately that is out.

Well there is some areas to play with but attack is just about a lock with Evans and Solomon.
Shewell Thorpe Voigt, and Rehfuss playing for the last spot.
Middie is locks for Salcido and Mariano. With Lane, Trimbo, and Romano up for the last spot.
And the second line will probably have Weston with a combo of the other two who missed out on first line.
3 line is whoever plays best in offseason.
Defense will be nice to watch player out. Mellen is a lock with Cunningham and Bomberry looking to start
Then you have some of the freshman looking for playing time which inwouldnt be surprised to see a freahman start on D somewhere.

We should come back to this in October. And see what changes we have.

Call me crazy but the inability of attack to produce on offense for long stretches this year must be addressed. That's why I think they move Mariano back to his natural attack position and push Evans back to the first mid line. Evans turns the ball over too much in traffic and generally forces thing. Less chance of that at mid IMHO. He's had his chances but is dogged by inconsistency. He does ride hard and Desko really values that.

Turn overs were a problem this year and need to be cut down.

Attack: Solomon, Shewell, Mariano
1st Mid: Salcido, Evans, Trimbo (I think he's too good to keep off of the field)
2nd Mid: Lane, Weston, McKinney/Romano
3rd Mid: Simmons, Carlin, McKinney/Romano (whoever's not on 2nd)

The focus needs to be on shooting more with accuracy. The Brown up tempo shooters model is the future. Back to run and gun Cuse lax.

If Evans gets moved to mid, he'll draw a shortie, and defenses can pole both Mariano and Salcido.

If we leave Evans at attack, in theory defenses can pole either Mariano or Salcido, but not both at the same time.

Do not sleep on Pat Carlin. Ideal for the firsts with Mariano and Salcido.

If Evans gets moved to mid, he'll draw a shortie, and defenses can pole both Mariano and Salcido.

If we leave Evans at attack, in theory defenses can pole either Mariano or Salcido, but not both at the same time.
I believe both ND & MD put a shortie on Evans & polled both Salcido & Mariano for the majority of the game. I think that'll be the blueprint going forward until/unless Evans proves he can consistently beat a shortie.

Also, not directed at any one poster because I've seen it multiple times this year, but his name is Riley O'Sullivan ;)

I think he's one to watch. He was pretty heavily recruited (UNC, MD) & IL rated him 18th in his class heading into his Junior year at Bosco. Not the biggest kid (looks closer to 5'7" than his listed 5'9") but was having a monster Senior year before going down for the season 5 games in.

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's pretty remarkable that we had two players who ran on the 2nd line midfield every game (1 played in 16/17) & combined to produce 8 points. One had 1&1 on the year. I'm certainly not going to research it, but I'd have to think that there's no other D1 team that can say that this year, or possibly even any in recent years. It's hard to fathom, especially considering our blowouts of Siena, St. John's, Bingo, Colgate...

I believe both ND & MD put a shortie on Evans & polled both Salcido & Mariano for the majority of the game. I think that'll be the blueprint going forward until/unless Evans proves he can consistently beat a shortie.

You beat me to it. Evans is not getting poled consistently as opposing teams appear not to be as concerned with his speed and dodging ability as they are with Salcido and Mariano. Since Mariano's getting poled already at mid and Evan isn't at attack, I still think it's logical to swap Mariano for Evans at attack.

Also, not directed at any one poster because I've seen it multiple times this year, but his name is Riley O'Sullivan ;)

I think he's one to watch. He was pretty heavily recruited (UNC, MD) & IL rated him 18th in his class heading into his Junior year at Bosco. Not the biggest kid (looks closer to 5'7" than his listed 5'9") but was having a monster Senior year before going down for the season 5 games in.
Good pull here mentioning O'Sullivan. It's youth like this that we need to step up next year. Seems its been many years since we have truly had wide open spots across the board. Have had returnees in major positions for a long time. Be very interesting to see who fills them. Tons of time to get better before February 2017. :)

I thnk Solomon will turn out to be as good as Kevin Rice.

One thing about Evans is he has a great off hand. I think he is a lefty so now that Dylan has graduated he may get more time on that side of the field.

Yeah I really like Soloman and he is a lock to start. One player on defense we should keep an eye on is Swigart. Heard lots of good things about him. With BMull and McDermott graduating you could maybe see Swigart move to close defense. His natural position is LSM but he has great size.

Yeah I really like Soloman and he is a lock to start. One player on defense we should keep an eye on is Swigart. Heard lots of good things about him. With BMull and McDermott graduating you could maybe see Swigart move to close defense. His natural position is LSM but he has great size.
Swigart did some nice things at LSM in mop-up duty. 6'5" and ran like a deer, plus his reach made the pole look even longer. Had a couple decent takeaway checks & just seemed really comfortable out there, especially for a True Frosh.

I do not see any wholesale changes at Cuse next season, although I can see competition for places and the coaches having an open mind in the fall.

Goalie
Molloy

Def
Mellen

F/O - Williams
Backup - Varello

SSDM
Schwasnick
Ciferri
Gillis

LSM
Firman
Fusco
Swigart

Off Mid
Salcido
Mariano
Weston
Romano
Lane
Simmons

Attack
Evans
Shewell
Solomon

Who can compete to start
Dilts
DiPietro
Kennedy
Cunningham
O'Sullivan
Dearth
Bomberry
Trimboli
Thorpe
Wisnauskas

What we have learnt is that Desko does not take too many chances with Freshman early, unless you're very talented. They have to Learn The Off/Def first. Mellen is a freak athlete and they needed someone to step in to become the backbone in the future with Mullins and McDermott graduating. I don't think Desko will take too many chances with Mellens line mates this year I think you will see two existing players on Defense and interestingly enough maybe an existing LSM either Firman or Fusco down low, my guess is Firman as we have a great replacement at LSM in Fusco (who did a great job) and Swigert who was obviously the 3rd choice. I think the third Defensemen will be Cunningham who was 4th choice this year. They where high on Dilts and Bomberry so I hope to see them figure man down and at back up.

Trimboli will see time because of his passing ability and will act as the glue guy, I see him breaking in after the first half of the season and would be great with the two shooters Salcido and Mariano. I don't see Mariano at attack at all, he brings too much from up top and can invert. I am still looking forward to see My Romano he is a good one. Don't sleep on O'Sullivan either.

I think we will see more from Srs Weston, Simmons, Gillis etc, they always step up when they can see the end coming and have been great for us over the years and still have more to give.

I do not see any wholesale changes at Cuse next season, although I can see competition for places and the coaches having an open mind in the fall.

Goalie
Molloy

Def
Mellen

F/O - Williams
Backup - Varello

SSDM
Schwasnick
Ciferri
Gillis

LSM
Firman
Fusco
Swigart

Off Mid
Salcido
Mariano
Weston
Romano
Lane
Simmons

Attack
Evans
Shewell
Solomon

Who can compete to start
Dilts
DiPietro
Kennedy
Cunningham
O'Sullivan
Dearth
Bomberry
Trimboli
Thorpe
Wisnauskas

What we have learnt is that Desko does not take too many chances with Freshman early, unless you're very talented. They have to Learn The Off/Def first. Mellen is a freak athlete and they needed someone to step in to become the backbone in the future with Mullins and McDermott graduating. I don't think Desko will take too many chances with Mellens line mates this year I think you will see two existing players on Defense and interestingly enough maybe an existing LSM either Firman or Fusco down low, my guess is Firman as we have a great replacement at LSM in Fusco (who did a great job) and Swigert who was obviously the 3rd choice. I think the third Defensemen will be Cunningham who was 4th choice this year. They where high on Dilts and Bomberry so I hope to see them figure man down and at back up.

Trimboli will see time because of his passing ability and will act as the glue guy, I see him breaking in after the first half of the season and would be great with the two shooters Salcido and Mariano. I don't see Mariano at attack at all, he brings too much from up top and can invert. I am still looking forward to see My Romano he is a good one. Don't sleep on O'Sullivan either.

I think we will see more from Srs Weston, Simmons, Gillis etc, they always step up when they can see the end coming and have been great for us over the years and still have more to give.
You forgot to list Helmer from Summit, he is a very good and will compete for a spot on D . I like all the names listed, all can contribute in time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom