Backup QB Discussion | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Backup QB Discussion

Ultimately I think it comes down to how he is evaluating CDRW right now and what he projects Jakhari to be this year as a true freshman.
I've never heard Fran mention CDRW. I have, however, heard him mention that BD has had good practices.

I've never heard Fran mention CDRW. I have, however, heard him mention that BD has had good practices.
CDRW isn’t a P5 qb right now. I could see him transfer.

I'd rather both move on and we get someone who is buried at a major program but wants to be #2 and have a shot in 2025 to start.

What we had to sit through vs USF because neither could be trusted or the BC game from Carlos is enough for me.

Forget the season ending type injuries we just saw our QB1 play through major shoulder issues if something happens to McCord where he needs to leave that game or sit 1 week and then he can recover fully later in the year we need that other option. All it takes is one sack and landing on his right shoulder.

I'd rather both move on and we get someone who is buried at a major program but wants to be #2 and have a shot in 2025 to start.

What we had to sit through vs USF because neither could be trusted or the BC game from Carlos is enough for me.

Forget the season ending type injuries we just saw our QB1 play through major shoulder issues if something happens to McCord where he needs to leave that game or sit 1 week and then he can recover fully later in the year we need that other option. All it takes is one sack and landing on his right shoulder.
There will be kids available. One of the Ohio State QBs is going into the portal. There will be a ton of kids that are former HS talents just like our current backups that are going to enter the portal.
I also hope that the staff develops game plans for the backups that lend themselves to their strenghts and weaknesses. Its what the former staff did with Dan. Granted that was extreme but it did result in getting us to a bowl and i personally think it was their shining moment as a staff.

CDRW didn’t play because he had surgery towards the end of the season, he was injured and just got fully cleared at the start or close to the start of spring practice

I get the concern, we always have to look for holes as fans.

We’ve upgraded depth at RB.

We return and added experience to the line.

We’ve brought in more talent to WR then ive seen in my time as an orange fan.

We have Italian Chuck Norris at TE.

We’re in as good a position as I can remember to keep pressure off a QB or his backup.

That was the scenario with both CDRW and Davis more or less. Maybe things are different with Fran here now.

Obviously, the days of having McNabb, Johnson and Downing all battle it out for QB1 are lonnnnng gone.

However, it will be incumbent on the staff to have someone capable of playing spot minutes, or a game or 2, if McCord gets banged up.

I'm not down at all with an ACC-title-game-or-bust orientation to the season. Every win matters if we want to rise to the upper third of the conference. Losing winnable games to mediocre/lousy competition because we have dreck at backup QB would be very bad.

There's a gigantic gulf between "McCord is lost for the season in game 2" and "McCord got dinged in game 6 and has to miss the second half and the next game, before he returns". Someone's gotta be mildly competent in the latter scenario.

I don't think CDRW is it so hopefully someone else is.

That was the scenario with both CDRW and Davis more or less. Maybe things are different with Fran here now.
Those are prime examples of what can happen when you go that route. It can go good or bad. On that note, Fran didnt bring those two in. So he might take a shot with another young talented transfer of his on.

Last edited:
QB rankings aren't usually off to the extreme those guys were. If you bring in 2 guys who had the HS rankings each of those two did the chances that one of them is as bad is extremely low maybe 10%. The chance you get two guys who suck that much and can't even be trusted to throw in a meaningless bown game is probably around the same as being struck by lightning.

Not trying to be too negative and I think we were probably best to stick with McCord until after the spring game and if either light it up then sure that changes things. CDRW did do some nice things against ND no clue what happened vs BC but I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB struggle that bad.

QB rankings aren't usually off to the extreme those guys were. If you bring in 2 guys who had the HS rankings each of those two did the chances that one of them is as bad is extremely low maybe 10%. The chance you get two guys who suck that much and can't even be trusted to throw in a meaningless bown game is probably around the same as being struck by lightning.

Not trying to be too negative and I think we were probably best to stick with McCord until after the spring game and if either light it up then sure that changes things. CDRW did do some nice things against ND no clue what happened vs BC but I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB struggle that bad.
Dino seemed to not trust anyone including any backups. I’m hoping with a new staff CDRW really turns it around.

One thing about having a better power game is that it gives you a better chance to win if the elite QB misses time. You might go from a chance at 10 wins to 7 but thats better than 7 wins to 3..

I wonder if the kid from UCLA, Collin Schlee, would be willing to come here as QB2 with 2025 wide open. He has two years, he’s from Maryland, had decent stats as a starter in 2022. Would be perfect from our side of things. Decent enough to be a backup to McCord. Like all other transfers he obviously wants to start right away and can do that by transferring down but could be worth talking to

One thing about having a better power game is that it gives you a better chance to win if the elite QB misses time. You might go from a chance at 10 wins to 7 but thats better than 7 wins to 3..
I hate this kind of thinking.

He didnt look all that great. BD looked better last Saturday.
When you can say that someone who looks like they're holding a hand grenade with the pin pulled in the pocket and has a wonky throwing motion looks better than CDRW - it kinda tells you the state of our QB depth chart beyond McCord.

CDRW is wildly inconsistent but occasionally pulls a gem out of his ass, so I guess there's that.

We need help...and now.

I don't want anymore buried on depth chart kids - that's exactly what CDRW and Davis are. I want either guys that are the QB equivalent of a Zeed Haynes, were poised to be on the 2 deep at their respective schools early in their career but want a change of scenery, or a legit upperclassman that is capable of starting next year.

I don't want anymore buried on depth chart kids - that's exactly what CDRW and Davis are. I want either guys that are the QB equivalent of a Zeed Haynes, were poised to be on the 2 deep at their respective schools early in their career but want a change of scenery, or a legit upperclassman that is capable of starting next year.

Agreed.

But it is unlikely that we're going to get a player like that this spring / summer, with McCord occupying the depth chart next year.

Now, NEXT off-season, I'd expect us to land our next starter -- because the path to the starting role would be clear.

Agreed.

But it is unlikely that we're going to get a player like that this spring / summer, with McCord occupying the depth chart next year.

Now, NEXT off-season, I'd expect us to land our next starter -- because the path to the starting role would be clear.
I think we could get a Zeed Haynes type - I just don't know if there's one out there. But that would be the ideal profile, kid that would be on the 2 deep at a P4 poised to be a starter in a year but maybe wants a change of scenery / play closer to home / play for Fran etc.

Both Nixon and Fran have talked about fitting the O around the talent and running the ball. I bet the tailor the O differently if Carlos has to play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom