2017 NBA Draft early entrants | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2017 NBA Draft early entrants

Per Draft Express - Rankings updated on Sunday.

Lydon currently at #23.
View attachment 91926

And a new face from Syracuse on the draft boards. He gone.

View attachment 91927

Interesting. I know Lydon has NBA range from three but I don't recall white taking any that far back. I'm sure he could, I just don't remember him taking them.

Giles is high risk due to his numerous knee injuries. If he turns out to be serviceable, great. He can't play long minutes and at times, looks lost on both sides of the ball. Another year will help him.

He also is not a 3pt shooter. That said, I hope he goes in the draft along with every other player they have.

Lydon would be insane to stay. Everyone needs to come to terms with it, and wish him well. I wish he played better this year, and we were going to the Tourney, but it is what it is.
Stinks we only get 1 year out of Mali, 2 out of TL, and nothing out of Howard. But without the first 2 we don't get to the FF last year.

But man, it would be a nice to get a guy who stays for years, gets progressively better every year and has a special senior year. I think the last guy who did that was CJ Fair. Hopefully one Moyer/Brisset/Sidbie can be that guy. I don't think TT or Battle will be here for all 4 years

Lydon would be insane to stay. Everyone needs to come to terms with it, and wish him well. I wish he played better this year, and we were going to the Tourney, but it is what it is.

Have you seen the way he played down the stretch?

2017-03-14 18.51.07.jpg

Yes. Which is why he has to leave now. No reason to stay. Stay and miss out on a year of pay. Most importantly, if he stays then he may drop to the 2nd round. He should have left last year.

Very few who left us early have made the wrong decision. Flynn got hurt, unfortunately. Donte had to do it. Ennis jumped on his opportunity, and is making money. MCW, Waiters, and even McCullough are doing just fine.

These kids have minimal years to make money. Worst case they go overseas, see the world, and get a nice paycheck. If Lydon comes back, he loses a year of pay, and risks dropping to the 2nd round. It's a no brainer.

Marcus Keene has announced as well. He's a senior and is the regular season scoring champ - not sure he has much left to prove in college. NBA scouts know about him and he's not likely to get any taller.

Yes. Which is why he has to leave now. No reason to stay. Stay and miss out on a year of pay. Most importantly, if he stays then he may drop to the 2nd round. He should have left last year.

Very few who left us early have made the wrong decision. Flynn got hurt, unfortunately. Donte had to do it. Ennis jumped on his opportunity, and is making money. MCW, Waiters, and even McCullough are doing just fine.

These kids have minimal years to make money. Worst case they go overseas, see the world, and get a nice paycheck. If Lydon comes back, he loses a year of pay, and risks dropping to the 2nd round. It's a no brainer.
Agree with you on most counts - Not sure leaving last year would have been beneficial. I think he would have gone second round. Would the first year of his contract this year be worth more than last year and this year? That's the question.

I'd go Fultz because I don't see a flaw. I'm not as confident that Ball's 3 point shooting will translate to the pros with that form.

I do love Ball too though. Great instincts for running a team, that ball always seems to be where it's supposed to be and he puts it right on the money.
Agreed. I think Fultz is a can't miss kid. Ball could struggle a little more shooting but he is still really good and I think they both will be solid players.

I feel like next years draft is far weaker than this one. He wouldn't be a 2nd round pick next year he would probably go higher. That is the only real argument for staying. I think he will and should go however.

I may be alone in this , but I am taking ball over fultz. Esp if the Celts get #1 (thank you Billy King). They can afford to be patient especially already having IT, Bradley and marcus smart back there. It also wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they fell to 3 and I would be more than okay with them taking Tatum there.

What do you mean Greene had to do it? His game was still raw and from what I understand, he wasn't well off, but his people weren't eating soup for dinner every night.
Ennis will more than likely be out of the NBA in a couple of weeks.
What has McCullough done to warrant "doing just fine"?
MCW, Waiters and Grant are the only recent early entries that are doing fine.

What do you mean Greene had to do it? His game was still raw and from what I understand, he wasn't well off, but his people weren't eating soup for dinner every night.
Apparently if you are still alive and haven't filed for bankruptcy you are doing just fine.

Ooh I haven't had the pleasure of this discussion for a while! Greene has earned millions!!! How is that possibly a bad decision? If a Chinese company threw $500k at me a couple years out of college, that woulda been hitting the lottery. Somehow that's seen as a failure in the business of basketball. Insanity.

You sound like a guy who believes no one is ready to leave. Ennis jumped at his high point. No one knows the Greene situation except a few, but he did what he thought he had to do for his family. McCullough was gone the day he stepped foot here, and went 1st round. He will stick around for a bit. They all got 1st round contracts, except Grant. Most will make plenty in the NBA, and if their time is up then plenty overseas. So yeah, they are all doing just fine. Syracuse basketball isn't life. I wish they all stayed four years, but it doesn't work that way just so we can hope for a better shot at a Title.

If I think a guy can go, I will push him out the door myself. Dion Waiters was a certified pro. Did I think he was going to #4? No, but he had all the tools to play professionally, including the body. He could have started anywhere in the country his sophomore year, including Kentucky. He was that good.

Those other guys weren't pros. Being drafted and being NBA ready are two completely different things. OK, you got a check? So what? Can you develop your skill set to get the second contract which proves you have some staying power?

As far as McCullough goes, even his uncle who acted as his advisor was telling him to stay. Guys rush to get out of school when their game hasn't shown that they're ready to make that leap. You were just getting by for most of your life, what's another year? Plenty of people have kids young and find a way.

No, Syracuse basketball isn't life. When the season ends, it ends. This is purely an escape for me. Don't try to throw that jab at me.

Last edited:
If I think a guy can go, I will push him out the door myself. Dion Waiters was a certified pro. Did I think he was going to #4? No, but he had all the tools to play professionally, including the body. He could have started anywhere in the country his sophomore year, including Kentucky. He was that good.

Those other guys weren't pros. Being drafted and being NBA ready are two completely different things. OK, you got a check? So what? Can you develop your skill set to get the second contract which proves you have some staying power?
So if you don't get that second contract, you're somehow not a "real" NBA player? Do you realize that in the entire history of professional basketball in the United States, fewer than 5,000 people have appeared in a game?

Last edited:

That's not how it works. No one, save Ben Simmons and perhaps Brandon Ingram were considered "NBA Ready" in last year's draft.

It's not about being "ready" it hasn't been for a long time.

I love that people think a player can't develop in the NBA. All I hear is he's not ready, or strong enough. I'm pretty sure the NBA has some decent strength training. The D-League is pretty good competition as well to develop. I guess playing Cornell, Colgate, and the ACC would be better.

I love that people think a player can't develop in the NBA. All I hear is he's not ready, or strong enough. I'm pretty sure the NBA has some decent strength training. The D-League is pretty good competition as well to develop. I guess playing Cornell, Colgate, and the ACC would be better.
I agree that players should leave if they are projected in the first round. However, I'm not sure the NBA is great on developing young talent (college age). I feel like the strongest teachers of the game are in college. The D-League hasn't impressed me yet although I would love to see some college vs D-League competitions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom