2017 NBA Draft early entrants | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2017 NBA Draft early entrants

Not surprised about Trier. He's not even a guaranteed second round pick. DraftExpress has him ranked as the 6oth best prospect.

Obviously family situations play a large part in the decisions, but, I think we have to start realizing that kids with NBA possibilities might not want to stay in this system/scheme any longer than they have to for better or worse.

Those teams are constantly reloading with attractive top end talent to play with as well.
lol if you don't think guys like Bridges, Trier staying in school is an anomaly... but, nah, turn it into another rip on the program

Not surprised about Trier. He's not even a guaranteed second round pick. DraftExpress has him ranked as the 6oth best prospect.

Wow. I'm surprised just from seeing him play. Real smooth combo guard with good size who can shoot. I wonder where Ford has him.

lol if you don't think guys like Bridges, Trier staying in school is an anomaly... but, nah, turn it into another rip on the program

Not ripping the program. It's just my opinion based on the 'word on the street' about the system on D especially. People and kids talk. True or untrue about the D hindering a player's NBA stock; that perception IS out there.

How about giving me a concrete reason you disagree or your theory why instead of accusing me of nonsense.

Not ripping the program. It's just my opinion based on the 'word on the street' about the system on D especially. People and kids talk. True or untrue about the D hindering a player's NBA stock; that perception IS out there.

How about giving me a concrete reason you disagree instead of accusing me of nonsense.
Concrete reason for lottery picks to stay in school? Like, being in a "fun" system precludes going and cashing a multi-million dollar paycheck? That sort of concrete reason?

Concrete reason for lottery picks to stay in school? Like, being in a "fun" system precludes going and cashing a multi-million dollar paycheck? That sort of concrete reason?

Except we aren't talking lottery picks mostly. Mostly bottom of 1st round to 2nd round types. You still didn't give me your theory. You're over-simplifying my position but fine, have it your way, yes a more "fun" or NBA translatable defensive grade. I think we can all agree that the bonafide lottery picks should leave at earliest convenience wherever they are.

Last edited:

How about giving me a concrete reason you disagree or your theory why instead of accusing me of nonsense.
For a system that supposedly hinders the NBA stock of its players, SU is sure churning out a steady stream of NBA draft picks lately.

PED's probably didn't help Trier's draft stock as well as being an undersized 2g.

For a system that supposedly hinders the NBA stock of its players, SU is sure churning out a steady stream of NBA draft picks lately.

I get that and it is probably a very good selling point. But it is kinda moot if they are bolting the first chance they get and we just reload with the same type of bottom of the first round type picks, some busts sprinkled in, and stay at a mediocre level of a college basketball. It's not going to matter if we stay hovering around the bubble every year. The elite guys will not come with that sort of on the court success. I don't care if they stay or go but hopefully we get the kind of players who will help improve the play on the court. Four-year guys or studs.

I get that and it is probably a very good selling point. But it is kinda moot if they are bolting the first chance they get and we just reload with the same type of bottom of the first round type picks, some busts sprinkled in, and stay at a mediocre level of a college basketball. It's not going to matter if we stay hovering around the bubble every year. The elite guys will not come with that sort of on the court success. I don't care if they stay or go but hopefully we get the kind of players who will help improve the play on the court. Four-year guys or studs.
I don't think every elite player necessarily chooses the program that affords the best chance for a deep NCAA run. Some do, of course, but some go where they can be "the man" for a year, and some go to a situation where they feel they can carry a program on a deep run by sheer force of their own play.

I wish recruiting was an exact science, but it's not. Sure, the absolute studs are generally easy to indentify early on, but the difference between the guys who become one-and-dones, two-and-dones and program guys is often razor thin, and what you really have doesn't reveal itself until these guys actually see the court at the college level.

People like to knock our draft picks, but some of these high picks for Zona haven't materialized at all yet...Gordon...Hollis-Jefferson...Stanley Johnson...Derrick Williams...

Wow. I'm surprised just from seeing him play. Real smooth combo guard with good size who can shoot. I wonder where Ford has him.

Ford had Trier at #36 on his big board.

Rabb could still be a lottery pick.

He won't be. I do think Bridges has a chance to improve his draft stock with another year though. But I also think he could easily drop significantly if, for example, his 3 point shooting falls more in line with his poor free throw shooting. I think Bridges likely would have been fine with either decision.

And I agree that it's not the same as Melo Trimble; I thought Trimble was a poor prospect the whole time.

He won't be. I do think Bridges has a chance to improve his draft stock with another year though. But I also think he could easily drop significantly if, for example, his 3 point shooting falls more in line with his poor free throw shooting. I think Bridges likely would have been fine with either decision.

And I agree that it's not the same as Melo Trimble; I thought Trimble was a poor prospect the whole time.

I agree, big difference between playing for Tom Izzo at Msu and Cuanzo Martin at Cal.

Don't think so. It's all about maximizing their value IMO. Don't blame them though. The model needs to change.
I agree.
And, unless it changes, eventually the reality will over come the fig leaf of amateurism and college players will have to get paid.
Not long ago I was totally in the opposite camp.
But there's just too much money involved now and the "business of college basketball" is just that...a business. A big business.

As an aside, how many schools really treat their players as students any more...putting them in dorms where they actually live with real students?
I think Duke is one of the few big time programs that does.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic.

DJ is slightly older than Lydon while being far less productive over his three years at Michigan. While Lydon is a below-average rebounder for a PF, Wilson would probably be the worst rebounding PF to be taken in the 1st round, like ever. Wilson is a pretty good shooter, but not quite the same level as Lydon.

Still, Wilson is projected to be around the 15-20 range in next year's draft.

Just saw an update: Wilson is staying in this years draft.

Which stunned me because it only happens to Syracuse I was told

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom