2017 Recruiting predictions | Syracusefan.com

2017 Recruiting predictions

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Do you think Cuse finishes strong or fizzles out. What's your prediction based on what you may know or surmise?

1) Jordan Tucker
2) Elijah Hughes
3) Sidney Wilson
4) Eric Ayala
5) Marek Dolezaj
6) Geno Thorpe
7) Hamier Wright
8) Tremont Waters
9) A different grad transfer
10) Another player to be determined

I think my best case scenario is that we end up with two, with a possible outside shot at three total players. My gut is yes to Foreign Dude and Geno "Morris" Thorpe. The possible third player would be Tucker. If we don't get Tucker, I'm not sure we go after Sid the Kid. Not sure why, unless they feel strong about Tucker and that's why we haven't gone after Wilson. In that case, if we do lose JT, maybe we do end up with Wilson as #3 which I think most fans would embrace.

Of course these are all guesses but would love to hear other people's opinion.

Thorpe, and Marek is my guess for this year. Possibly another grad transfer for the 3, but think OB can handle it. Thorpe would be perfect. Better than getting Ayala.

Dolejaz, Thorpe and Hughes is my guess. Leaving us with 2-4 scholarships for 2018 depending on how the season shakes out. We get 1 back from probation, I think Battle goes pro, and I think Thompson is 50/50. I think its 50/50 you may also see PC "take his Degree and leave" if he cant contribute next year.

Dolejaz, Thorpe and Hughes is my guess. Leaving us with 2-4 scholarships for 2018 depending on how the season shakes out. We get 1 back from probation, I think Battle goes pro, and I think Thompson is 50/50. I think its 50/50 you may also see PC "take his Degree and leave" if he cant contribute next year.

Yep. Dolezaj, Hughes and Thorpe. I'd put TT's % of leaving higher. Perhaps that is why the staff is stockpiling and targeting so many bigs. PC I have no idea about. Will he contribute this year? Either way, what happens? You're right, he's had a lot of down time. He could be ahead academically. Good post.

Yep. Dolezaj, Hughes and Thorpe. I'd put TT's % of leaving higher. Perhaps that is why the staff is stockpiling and targeting so many bigs. PC I have no idea about. Will he contribute this year? Either way, what happens? You're right, he's had a lot of down time. He could be ahead academically. Good post.
PC will be in his 4th year in college this year. With the summer sessions, I would assume he'll be a grad transfer candidate.

PC will be in his 4th year in college this year. With the summer sessions, I would assume he'll be a grad transfer candidate.

Yep, he's has plenty of time to get way ahead academically. We will see what he does this year on the court.

1 down, 2 to go. Dolezaj will be next. Not sure of Thorpe's decision time frame.

Totally agree.
Likely to be 3-4 scholarships available when all is said and done, plus maybe Buddy as a walkon.

If Battle stays healthy, he's 99% gone.
IF Chewie can contribute, who doesn't want an experienced 7' big?
If not - he's on board the Big Sexy express to destination anywhere.

Hopefully Tucker decides (one way, or the other) fairly soon, so we can work on locking down Geno and Marek, and then get busy on the '18 guys.

Yep, he's has plenty of time to get way ahead academically. We will see what he does this year on the court.

1 down, 2 to go. Dolezaj will be next. Not sure of Thorpe's decision time frame.
Let's be optimistic. Three to go.

Hughes (committed), Dolezac and TBD

As soon as the article about the reasons SU was interested in Hughes, I knew he was signing. I even joked about how much was Waters paid by SU to endorse the guy from ECU that only Iona and Seton Hall wanted.

I hope he's successful at Syracuse because I'm a fan, but I'm not overly thrilled.

I think the next two slots will go to Marek and Thorpe. These two are ok, but I don't think they will make us a Tournament team this year.

IF we make the tournament this year it will be because FH finally plays to his potential, and Brissett has a great freshman year at the 3 position.

Fingers crossed. Go Orange!

Hughes, Thorpe, Tucker.

You genuinely believe we are getting Tucker? I appreciate the optimism. Is that your heart or your head, making that call?

That would be a dream scenario.
Just my gut. I believe he's always been Orange and looked really happy wearing that number 5. And I don't think the "juice " knickname is a coincidence . This is Hollywood baby. It's the " Orange Juice Crush " vs ewwww I got Duke juice on me

If that happened, I think we'd be better than last year - assuming the newcomers pickup the zone faster.

Still lacking proven production outside of Tyus and Taurean but with the improved shooting, we could be better. It'd be hard to be worse in the zone, so maybe we would be better, yeah.

One big key, no matter whom we add is getting to campus early so they can become a cohesive unit. Hope everyone gets cleared quickly.

Last edited:
You genuinely believe we are getting Tucker? I appreciate the optimism. Is that your heart or your head, making that call?

I genuinely believe that Duke's involvement doesn't spell defeat as clearly as 99% of the posters believe it does. We definitely don't have as straight a shot at him as we did a couple weeks ago, but I'm giving Tucker as much credit as I hope he deserves. I think he'll weigh the opportunities presented by the two schools and whatever he chooses he chooses.

That being said, it's undeniable that the clearer path to the pro's lies on the hill.

We can't just throw out hope because theres a potential dream school scenario happening. We've been spurned by recruits who pegged us as a dream school too. Hopefully Tucker's thinking deep on this and does what he thinks is best. It's the rest of his life and one year of ours.

Just my gut. I believe he's always been Orange and looked really happy wearing that number 5. And I don't think the "juice " knickname is a coincidence . This is Hollywood baby. It's the " Orange Juice Crush " vs ewwww I got Duke juice on me

Nope.. I've heard this is Tucker's crush... Thus, the nickname:
image.jpeg

I guess ATLien was wrong about JT's love for rap. Georgia Tech's big edge is gone.

Still lacking proven production outside of Tyus and Taurean but with the improved shooting, we could be better. It'd be hard to be worse in the zone, so maybe we would be better, yeah.

One big key, no matter who add is getting to famous early so they can become a cohesive unit. Hope everyone gets cleared quickly.
I think Tyus will be better than any player we had last year - he can create his own shot off the dribble, penetrate, hit the mid-range jumper, and is a very, very good 3pt shooter. TT has that silky smooth inside/15ft game. Tucker on the wing. Thorpe is a proven scorer at a high level (although I still think h'es a volume guy, better teammates should help). Brissett is going to be good. I like what Moyer and Sidibe can bring. Just gotta hope Frank is somewhat improved.

Couldn't agree more about the cohesive unit. Think that hurt us last year. But what hurt us last year offensively was we didn't have anyone who could get their own shot outside of Tyus. I think Tyus will be that much better this year and I think Thorpe could give us a true playmaker off the bench/starting next to Tyus. Also TT can operate on his own, he doesn't need the ball in the perfect position like Lydon did to make a play.

Most 5th year guys want to go somewhere they are going to play big minutes on a bigger stage. Unless the staff tells Thorpe he has a good chance of starting, why would he want a situation where he's a backup 3rd guard? He would be a good get for us so we don't have all our eggs in the Frank Howard basket.

Also, I fully expect TT to go to the NBA after this year.

Most 5th year guys want to go somewhere they are going to play big minutes on a bigger stage. Unless the staff tells Thorpe he has a good chance of starting, why would he want a situation where he's a backup 3rd guard? He would be a good get for us so we don't have all our eggs in the Frank Howard basket.
Thorpe will look at Howard and not be threatened. Also Battle could slide down and play the 3 with Thorpe up top.

If Thorpe wants to come, I believe he'd have a spot. The question is, would he come with Tucker here? That would be trickier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom