2017 Spring Game Thread, ACCNX 10AM | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Spring Game Thread, ACCNX 10AM

What did everyone expect?Definitely knew we wouldn't get any mint chocolate chip, butter pecan, choc chip cookie dough. As expected we got an OD dose of extreme vanilla! and defense always loves vanilla.
Yep. Talked with Steven for a little while after the game. Coaches definitely kept it "vanilla", on purpose. Didn't even come close to delving into the playbook.

Was it just me or did Custis start with the ones, do absolutely nothing (other than look like an NFL WR), and after halftime he played with the two's on offense. Halftime demotion?
He was one of a few who were preselected to play for both teams.

+ Moe, Pickard, Williams, Heckel, Butler, Armstrong

Yep. Talked with Steven for a little while after the game. Coaches definitely kept it "vanilla", on purpose. Didn't even come close to delving into the playbook.

This is why I think they should stop having these. They're not going to lose fans over it.

It's a waste of a valuable practice because coaches today live paranoid lives.

Don't disagree, but our bread and butter will be short passes to Pierce and Philips with some short routes to Ishmael.

Oh, I agree. But that's not that different than last season. I do agree with you the "speed" WR spot will be very important (Butler vs Custis vs ?)

Very Vanilla, and the D obviously very familiar with the plays and formations. They jumped every bubble screen and slant. Even with that, it was disappointing to see the complete lack of success running the ball.

Guys were great in the autograph line as usual. Very respectful and appreciative to my kids. My girls brought a picture Shamarko took with them in 2013 (after he was done playing) to sign. When he saw it, his eyes lit up. He immediately took out his phone and took a picture of it. Then he took another photo with them holding the photo from 2013.

Always have liked him, probably my favorite kid. rooted for him to succeed the most.

Here's my biggest concern:

Neither of the offensive lines passed the look test at all. None of them seemed to have the necessary physique to compete.

No definition in arms, and half of them are tall and skinny, with little pot bellies, and the rest just fat arms, skinny legs and fat bellies. Not sure what the program is doing here? Look like a bunch of G Rob linemen.

Everyone else looks good, particularly defensive players

You all know the defense knows the plays that are being run. Don't take anything away from it. Tough to get separation when the D knows the routes being run.

These scrimmages are for the fans - not the players.

You all know the defense knows the plays that are being run. Don't take anything away from it. Tough to get separation when the D knows the routes being run.

These scrimmages are for the fans - not the players.

Forget about knowing the plays. The o-line could not hold their blocks to run a play. When you see Dungey, etc. scrambling out of the pocket almost immediately, that's not a good sign. There weren't that many QB designed runs. I only saw one play where Dungey actually was able to scan the whole field and it was a completion to Ishmael on a seam route.

I agree, but not that is was too slow. It was like they just wanted to get it over with. Very hard to watch and also hard to justify driving 5 hours to see what looked like a mess.
Yeah, I drove a long way too. Had to come up anyway but to get up so early for this was a waste. Not worth the price of admission.

Neither of the offensive lines passed the look test at all. None of them seemed to have the necessary physique to compete.

No definition in arms, and half of them are tall and skinny, with little pot bellies, and the rest just fat arms, skinny legs and fat bellies. Not sure what the program is doing here? Look like a bunch of G Rob linemen.

Thats the post winter look, those little pot bellies are extra calories needed to lift vast quantities of mass. Between now and August lots of cardio and more repetitions at lighter weight will do some defining and shrinking of those pot bellies I hope. The summer look. Just can't get over how skinny the legs mostly calves are on these kids. But then our calves back in the 50s looked big because we were a lot smaller up top.

Very Vanilla, and the D obviously very familiar with the plays and formations. They jumped every bubble screen and slant. Even with that, it was disappointing to see the complete lack of success running the ball.

Running is going to be a chore again this season unless Perkins or one of the freshmen provide a lift. Pretty sure we'll see more screen passes to get our backs into open space.

The second team oline looks like the GROB first teamers. The first team I thought more than passed the look test.

Servais jumped in front of Byrne (and heckel) at C. That tells me there is competition and depth in there. I am fine w the line. Virtually everybody and then some is back from last year. The S&C coach knows what he is doing. At least he believes in science.

This is why I think they should stop having these. They're not going to lose fans over it.

It's a waste of a valuable practice because coaches today live paranoid lives.

At the factories I imagine the Spring Game is a decent fundraiser, but for programs like ours we're better off just having a fan fest and getting an extra practice in.

Guys were great in the autograph line as usual. Very respectful and appreciative to my kids. My girls brought a picture Shamarko took with them in 2013 (after he was done playing) to sign. When he saw it, his eyes lit up. He immediately took out his phone and took a picture of it. Then he took another photo with them holding the photo from 2013.

Always have liked him, probably my favorite kid. rooted for him to succeed the most.

Love to see him stick with a team this Fall...isn't he one year short of a pension? Edit...he might have qualified.

Love to see him stick with a team this Fall...isn't he one year short of a pension? Edit...he might have qualified.

Matt Park interviewed Shamarko at halftime. He just completed his 4th year with the Steelers and is a free agent. Always liked him. I hope he lands on his feet and signs with someone. Getting that pension is a great thing, assuming the fund is payed into ;)

I expect vanilla and just want to see talent which I felt I did. I have a lot more confidence in the second teams and depth than I have in a while. Not having Erv out there hurt but the talent is there and coming. I love how the DB's broke on the ball. Solid tackling, decent hands wr/wise but not a whole lot of separation and every snap but one was on target by the center. The kick offs were short but they may be wanting to pin the corners. I have a lot more confidence in the qb situation and to me Maloney is a kid that needs to know he's the guy out and takes a while to get it going so this game does in no way play to his strength. Thought Culpepper looked sharp and Hasan looked as good as a backup qb SU has had in the recent years and is 4th team. The running game is not what I want to see at all and to be honest Zaccardo looked the best hitting the line and that was against the first team. Should be a very solid year especially if they have few injuries and I enjoyed the game. Think Foster is going to be a player and the confidence/talent of the second team D looked good. If the D-line and O-line can keep improving and penetrate/push we Orange fans may be a very happy group this fall. Go Orange and thanks for the show!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom