2017 Yankees Thread | Page 104 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

I didn't watch him much with the As (btw Dasher makes a good point about Oakland pitchers doing better due to that pitcher's park), but with the NYY he got into the 7th inning 3 out of 12 starts. Hard to be too impressed in terms of what we say last night and the month of September. 18 walks in 38 innings. ERA up over 5t.
I'm more of a larger sample kinda guy.

By your logic above, it's hard to be too impressed with Chris Sale, although he'd probably make someone a nice #2 or #3 starter.

By your logic above, it's hard to be too impressed with Chris Sale, although he'd probably make someone a nice #2 or #3 starter.
This isn’t even good. You could do a lot better. I mean up your freaking game.

Gray if he is a top 60 pitcher is in the
50s.

He isn’t the guy he was in 2013 when he was striking a lot of guys out. Injuries have slowed him down. That is why the package the Yankees gave up wasn’t a lot.
Sabathia isn’t better long term but he had a better year than Gray this year.

This isn’t even good. You could do a lot better. I mean up your freaking game.

Gray if he is a top 60 pitcher is in the
50s.

He isn’t the guy he was in 2013 when he was striking a lot of guys out. Injuries have slowed him down. That is why the package the Yankees gave up wasn’t a lot.
Sabathia isn’t better long term but he had a better year than Gray this year.
Gray was pitching exceptionally well for the A's for a long stretch before the the trade, then was solid for the Yankees (with little run support) until recently. If he stays healthy (no guarantee with any starter these days) he will be a big piece for the Yankees.

I guess I'm probably not going to have success convincing you that Gray is not an ace. As you commented earlier - when it comes to the NYY you're an optimist. That's fine.

All I'm telling you is from what I've seen so far he is not an ace. And I don't need to see a large sample to know he's a nibbler that won't give in and therefore really struggles to get past the 6th inning. In most of his starts you've got a guy warming up in the bullpen in the 5th inning. Too many guys like that can do a # on your bullpen. Aces don't create that kind of an issue.

Yankees- 1
Severino

Red Sox-3
Sale
Pomeratz
Price

Toronto-3
Sanchez
Happ
Stroman

Baltimore-1
Bundy

Tampa-1
Cobb

Cleveland-3
Kluber
Salazar
Carcasso

Detroit-1
Fulmer

KC-1
Duffy

Minnesota-0
White Sox-0

Houston-2
Verlander
Kuechel

Angels-0

Mariners-1
Paxton

Rangers-0
A’s-0

NL
Mets-3
Syndergaard
DeGrom
Matz

Nationals-3
Scherezer
Strasburg
Gonzalez

Braves-1
Teheran

Marlins-0
Phillies-0

Cubs-4
Lester
Hendericks
Arrieta
Quintana

Brewers-2
Davies
Anderson

Cardinals-1
Martinez

Pirates-1
Cole

Reds-0

Dodgers-3
Kershaw
Darvish
Hill

Diamondbacks-3
Grineke
Ray
Walker

Rockies-1
Gray

Giants-1
Bumgarner
Padres-0

Me being conservative I would have Gray in the 40s so I was wrong about the 50s.

Hasn't the Calvary blown more saves than just about anyone this year? It looked a lot like the little big horn. And the reason that no Yankee pitcher has got in to a fight with David Cone has more to do with the Yankee guys on Yes being restricted to tell the truth during broadcasts. It is high, it is long, it is ...caught.
Clippard blew about 8 in a 2 week period all by himself.

It was pretty damn impressive.

Gray was pitching exceptionally well for the A's for a long stretch before the the trade, then was solid for the Yankees (with little run support) until recently. If he stays healthy (no guarantee with any starter these days) he will be a big piece for the Yankees.
How many foul ball outs every game does a Oakland pitcher get that they wouldn't get anywhere else?

Yankees- 1
Severino

Red Sox-3
Sale
Pomeratz
Price

Toronto-3
Sanchez
Happ
Stroman

Baltimore-1
Bundy

Tampa-1
Cobb

Cleveland-3
Kluber
Salazar
Carcasso

Detroit-1
Fulmer

KC-1
Duffy

Minnesota-0
White Sox-0

Houston-2
Verlander
Kuechel

Angels-0

Mariners-1
Paxton

Rangers-0
A’s-0

NL
Mets-3
Syndergaard
DeGrom
Matz

Nationals-3
Scherezer
Strasburg
Gonzalez

Braves-1
Teheran

Marlins-0
Phillies-0

Cubs-4
Lester
Hendericks
Arrieta
Quintana

Brewers-2
Davies
Anderson

Cardinals-1
Martinez

Pirates-1
Cole

Reds-0

Dodgers-3
Kershaw
Darvish
Hill

Diamondbacks-3
Grineke
Ray
Walker

Rockies-1
Gray

Giants-1
Bumgarner
Padres-0

Me being conservative I would have Gray in the 40s so I was wrong about the 50s.
Steve Matz??????? What pitcher were you watching? Didn't he go like 2-7? I don't think he has ever won 10 games in a season.

Steve Matz??????? What pitcher were you watching? Didn't he go like 2-7? I don't think he has ever won 10 games in a season.
I would take Steven Matz over Sonny Gray.

He is younger, left handed, has better stuff.

How many foul ball outs every game does a Oakland pitcher get that they wouldn't get anywhere else?
I 100% agree with this, it's 1 of my talking points too.

Probably fewer than you would imagine. My guess is slightly less than 1.

So what? Guys with "stuff" area dime a dozen. He doesn't belong on that list. He has done less than nothing. Oh, and Grey is 27 and Matz is 26. Not really a difference there.

Last edited by a moderator:

He's also been incredibly injury-prone. No thanks.

I strongly disagree.
I'm sure there are advanced metrics that measure this. Just don't know how to find them. Maybe someone in this thread could help us out.

I'm sure there are advanced metrics that measure this. Just don't know how to find them. Maybe someone in this thread could help us out.
Oakland also seems like a bigger park (that we could check). I wonder how many HR's are hit there compared to other parks in the A.L.?

So what? Guys with "stuff" area dime a dozen. He doesn't belong on that list. He has done less than nothing. Oh, and Grey is 27 and Matz is 26. Not really a difference there.
Left handed starting pitchers with plus stuff are not a dime a dozen.

You can disagree but you aren’t right. It’s subjective and I could have listed more guys.

Give your list so I can snap back at it.

Oakland also seems like a bigger park (that we could check). I wonder how many HR's are hit there compared to other parks in the A.L.?
That we could find easily. In any event, we could always look at anyone's stats normalized to remove park factors on baseball-reference.com

Left handed starting pitchers with plus stuff are not a dime a dozen.

You can disagree but you aren’t right. It’s subjective and I could have listed more guys.

Give your list so I can snap back at it.
Of course I'm right. The numbers tell you I'm right. Steve Matz is no where near the top 60 pitchers in baseball and quite frankly, no where near Sonny Grey. Could he have a big year down the road, sure. But as of right now, he is a product on New York hype. If he didn't pitch on the east coast, you wouldn't know his name. Either would anyone else.

Matz has an arm surgery 1x a year.

No thank you.

Def one of the best pitchers' parks around. Huge foul territory and relatively deeper dimensions. That may be why Gray nibbles so much - he's concerned about the short porch.

Yankees- 1
Severino

Red Sox-3
Sale
Pomeratz
Price

Toronto-3
Sanchez
Happ
Stroman

Baltimore-1
Bundy

Tampa-1
Cobb

Cleveland-3
Kluber
Salazar
Carcasso

Detroit-1
Fulmer

KC-1
Duffy

Minnesota-0
White Sox-0

Houston-2
Verlander
Kuechel

Angels-0

Mariners-1
Paxton

Rangers-0
A’s-0

NL
Mets-3
Syndergaard
DeGrom
Matz

Nationals-3
Scherezer
Strasburg
Gonzalez

Braves-1
Teheran

Marlins-0
Phillies-0

Cubs-4
Lester
Hendericks
Arrieta
Quintana

Brewers-2
Davies
Anderson

Cardinals-1
Martinez

Pirates-1
Cole

Reds-0

Dodgers-3
Kershaw
Darvish
Hill

Diamondbacks-3
Grineke
Ray
Walker

Rockies-1
Gray

Giants-1
Bumgarner
Padres-0

40's is a solid #2. I only looked at the American League (since that is what I really follow, other than the Mets, who I get all of their games. I agree with most of yours, except I think you left some guys out that if G.M.s were given a choice between grey and this guy, they would take the other guy. People on that list include; Chris Archer (don't love him but he has only pitched in the A.L. East and those hitters ball parks) Marco Estrada, he had the best whip in the American League just last year. Toronto just gave him a nice contract off a off year so ...
I can't leave Felix Hernandez off this list. Not what he once was but not many are. You missed Trevor Bauer from the tribe. He won 18 games I believe and talk about great stuff. Jason Vargas of the Royals. Just had a big year. That is a potential 5 more guys from just the American League.

DLGD708WAAETcPf.jpg

SUNDAY, OCT. 8
Astros at Red Sox, Game 3, 2:30 p.m. ET, FS1
Indians at Yankees, Game 3, 7:30 p.m. ET, FS1

DLevjYtUMAASsel.jpg

DLfblYpWAAAtaso.jpg

Well... That's exactly what we needed (and thought might happen last night)

Let's see what cc can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom