2017 Yankees Thread | Page 103 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

I mean sure, it's possible, but very unlikely. In fact, it would be shocking, as kluber should be the cy young winner. This guy is unbelievable, and his go to pitch kills our power hitters.

Look at these numbers View attachment 111907
Kluber has been awesome and will easily win the Cy Young, but he still has to go out there tomorrow and perform. There are no sure things in baseball, especially against a team as talented as the Yankees.

He could pitch game 3 on normal rest
Unless binder changes his mind he already laid out the rotation. Tanaka in game 3. Sevie in game 4

Last edited:
Back in my heyday, Sunday would be a GUARAN- 'N-TEED double dip day.

Giants game at 8AM for the Tailgate, back in City around 5-530, drop of the Simms jersey, put on the Munson...and head up to the Bronx.

Monday is a holiday and would sleep it away...

Heyday...<sigh>...

I am a Simms guy too...Mattingly for the Yanks...

Way too much pessimism in this thread. That's not the Yankee way.

I'm not a Yankees fan at all but I'm really not trying to troll. I don't think it's pessimism as much as being realistic. The Yankees have a solid team but this isn't the 1927 version and Cleveland has been the hottest team in baseball for the entire second half. Sure anything can happen in a short series, and the whole thing can turn if the Yankees get game 2. But I'd be shocked if Cleveland doesn't take the series.

I'm not a Yankees fan at all but I'm really not trying to troll. I don't think it's pessimism as much as being realistic. The Yankees have a solid team but this isn't the 1927 version and Cleveland has been the hottest team in baseball for the entire second half. Sure anything can happen in a short series, and the whole thing can turn if the Yankees get game 2. But I'd be shocked if Cleveland doesn't take the series.
Surely the Yankees are up against it and now need to win 3 of 4 to advance. I was just taking a jab at some negative posts, just as a would when I see people going negative on an SU team/player/coach. It's the eternal optimist in me.

Yankees win game 2 and it sets up nicely for the Yanks to not have to face Kluber or travel to Cleveland again this year.

Surely the Yankees are up against it and now need to win 3 of 4 to advance. I was just taking a jab at some negative posts, just as a would when I see people going negative on an SU team/player/coach. It's the eternal optimist in me.

I thought that might be the case. Nothing wrong with that at all. If fans don't have faith in their team, who will?

And I admit part of me may be a little bitter than I drafted Tanaka to be one of aces on my fantasy team and he couldn't seem to decide if he wanted to be an ace or throw up all over himself.

And I admit part of me may be a little bitter than I drafted Tanaka to be one of aces on my fantasy team and he couldn't seem to decide if he wanted to be an ace or throw up all over himself.
He was very inconsistent this year, to say the least, which was really something new for him. At least he stayed healthy. I'm hoping he isn't crazy enough to opt out because he would fit nicely behind Severino and Gray in that rotation next year.

A playoff participation trophy works this year.

Yankees are playing with house $$$.

Unfortunately the house was calling strikes in the sky and in the opposite batters box, but I digress. It's all good, next year it's ALCS or bust...maybe even more.

That said, Kluber loses today. It may be 2-1 one 3-2, but CC gets us 12-15 outs...and here comes the Calvary...

untitled-927.gif

Bauer was good tonight, but we still got homered. It wasn't terrible, but it looked like Cleveland got most of the close calls. That said, when you play better, you get more calls, and Bauer was a lot better than Gray. View attachment 111906 And I haven't seen anything yet from Gray. So far as I can see, he's been a disappointment.

And now for some good news, the Blackhawks are up on Pittsburgh 10-1 late in the third. :)

This was discussed on MLB radio a lot this morning. They mentioned that Bauer was around the plate all night long while Gray was not. That can have an effect on balls and strikes calls.

Gray has been off in his last few starts, but is very good. Ace level good. You will be happy the Yankees have him under contract for the next few years.

And I'm not concerned about how that loss looked tonight. It's one game. Steal one tomorrow and this series looks entirely different with the pressure shifting back on the Indians.

Gray rarely gets past the sixth inning. He nibbles too much and tends to get deep in counts. Gray also takes a long time in between pitches and that won't fly next year with a pitch clock. I think he's more of a #2 or #3 than an ace.

Gray rarely gets past the sixth inning. He nibbles too much and tends to get deep in counts. Gray also takes a long time in between pitches and that won't fly next year with a pitch clock. I think he's more of a #2 or #3 than an ace.
Grey is not ace level good. Like so many A's pitchers, they look better pitching for the A's than they do for someone else. As for the balls and strikes, I long for the day when they go to the computer. Umpires just can't accurately call balls a nd strikes. Real sports did a story about this a few months ago.

Gray goes as deep into games as almost every other top end starter does these days. He does work very slowly but should be able to adjust to a pitch clock. He's 27 and just entering his prime. There aren't 60 better starters in the game.

Gray goes as deep into games as almost every other top end starter does these days. He does work very slowly but should be able to adjust to a pitch clock. He's 27 and just entering his prime. There aren't 60 better starters in the game.
It would be 30 pitchers. #2's aren't aces. And not all #1's are aces.

It would be 30 pitchers. #2's aren't aces. And not all #1's are aces.
You know what I was saying and what I was responding to. I'll be happy to revisit Gray next season.

I don't think about Sonny in terms of where he lands in the rotation, just that he solidifies one of the 5 spots.

Severino, Montgomery, Gray, probably Tanaka.

Then from free agency or maybe Chance Adams you get your last one.

That's solid for a looooong time.

You know what I was saying and what I was responding to. I'll be happy to revisit Gray next season.
We can say we will revisit all kinds of guys next year. I think he is a 15 win type of guy. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think about Sonny in terms of where he lands in the rotation, just that he solidifies one of the 5 spots.

Don't do that with pitchers. the road is littered with guys that were going to be good for a long time. I bet the Met's were saying that a few years ago.

There's a good chance they will bring back CC on a moderate 2 year deal. Good idea, IMO.

I didn't watch him much with the As (btw Dasher makes a good point about Oakland pitchers doing better due to that pitcher's park), but with the NYY he got into the 7th inning 3 out of 12 starts. Hard to be too impressed in terms of what we say last night and the month of September. 18 walks in 38 innings. ERA up over 5.

I didn't watch him much with the As (btw Dasher makes a good point about Oakland pitchers doing better due to that pitcher's park), but with the NYY he got into the 7th inning 3 out of 12 starts. Hard to be too impressed in terms of what we say last night and the month of September. 18 walks in 38 innings. ERA up over 5.

One other thing about Gray and it's not his fault. He and Sanchez are a match made in hell. Gray throws sharp breaking balls and Sanchez can't catch them. That can really get into a pitcher's head.

Don't do that with pitchers. the road is littered with guys that were going to be good for a long time. I bet the Met's were saying that a few years ago.
Eh. Got to have some kind of plan.

A playoff participation trophy works this year.

Yankees are playing with house $$$.

Unfortunately the house was calling strikes in the sky and in the opposite batters box, but I digress. It's all good, next year it's ALCS or bust...maybe even more.

That said, Kluber loses today. It may be 2-1 one 3-2, but CC gets us 12-15 outs...and here comes the Calvary...

untitled-927.gif
Hasn't the Calvary blown more saves than just about anyone this year? It looked a lot like the little big horn. And the reason that no Yankee pitcher has got in to a fight with David Cone has more to do with the Yankee guys on Yes being restricted to tell the truth during broadcasts. It is high, it is long, it is ...caught.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom