2017 Yankees Thread | Page 134 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

As a Yankee hater, I agree that they really reloaded and are in a great position moving forward. Very solid farm system, one of the best, so they can continue to transition from their veterans to newcomers w/o going through a rebuild. Some SP question marks, but who doesn't have those?

Here are my off-season questions:

1. Is Girardi back? I'd kind of like him to be the way the team rallied and the chemistry they showed all year. If he's not, who's the right manager?

2. Does Tanaka stick? I hope so. Postseason Tanaka is more like the pitcher I believe he is than the one we saw in the regular season.

3. Is Torreyes ready to contribute?

4. Do they resign any of their FAs? CC and Frazier would be worth having back on the right deals, since they need to get under the tax.

5. Where does Castro fit? I think he's a really good player and it confuses me when people talk about him not being part of the future. He's on a very reasonable contract for two more seasons.

6. Who else is on the farm that can bolster depth next season?

7. Can we get Ohtani?

I think Girardi is back. As much as I hate his by the book approach he did get them to within 4 runs of the World Series. Castro blocks Torres. I think they will explore deals with Castro maybe combined with Betances and Clint Frazier for a front line starter and roll the dice with Torres next season. They will offer CC a Pettite type deal and I think he takes it. Not so sure about Todd Frazier. Maybe he splits time with Headley st third and DH but if Holliday has another year that would create a log jam. Ellsbury contract sucks. Just putting that out there. I hope Tanaka stays but i think he opts out. Next year Montgomery Sheffield and Adams will all be given a chance to make the rotation. If not Tanaka maybe they go after Darvish. Would love t see them go after Ohtani. Do you put him in the rotation or the outfield or both?

I think Girardi is back. As much as I hate his by the book approach he did get them to within 4 runs of the World Series. Castro blocks Torres. I think they will explore deals with Castro maybe combined with Betances and Clint Frazier for a front line starter and roll the dice with Torres next season. They will offer CC a Pettite type deal and I think he takes it. Not so sure about Todd Frazier. Maybe he splits time with Headley st third and DH but if Holliday has another year that would create a log jam. Ellsbury contract sucks. Just putting that out there. I hope Tanaka stays but i think he opts out. Next year Montgomery Sheffield and Adams will all be given a chance to make the rotation. If not Tanaka maybe they go after Darvish. Would love t see them go after Ohtani. Do you put him in the rotation or the outfield or both?
I thought the idea was to move Torreyes to 3b because nobody really blocks him there?

Holliday is an FA. I don't think they bring him back.

I think Ohtani may be a historically unique talent - have him pitch and DH.

I thought the idea was to move Torreyes to 3b because nobody really blocks him there?

Heard he wants to play with Darvish. Yanks might have room for both. Not sure about Torres at 3rd. I know they had talked about that but I think he was playing at 2nd at Scranton until he got hurt. Agree about Holliday. Offer Frazier.

Heard he wants to play with Darvish. Yanks might have room for both. Not sure about Torres at 3rd. I know they had talked about that but I think he was playing at 2nd at Scranton until he got hurt. Agree about Holliday. Offer Frazier.
I'd be fine if they brought in Darvish.

Severino, Darvish, Tanaka, Gray, Ohtani.

You can win with that. I'd be fine with that group.

Is your phone intentionally autocorrecting Torres to Torreyes?

I'd be fine if they brought in Darvish.

Severino, Darvish, Tanaka, Gray, Ohtani.

You can win with that. I'd be fine with that group.
With starters like that you'd think we're the New Yokohama Yankees.

I bring back Joe, CC on a 1 year deal (maybe with an option) and go after Otani had. First step in how the rotation shakes out is Tanaka's call but I'd make him a CC type offer of a 2 year extension to have him not opt out. I do whatever is necessary to shed DLssbury and save a few bucks too. I also test the market to see what the return for All-Starlin would be. I'd be shopping hard for a quality left handed reliever (bring back wilson?) and at least 1 quality young catcher. Unless he wants a 1 year cheap deal I let Todd F walk, although if there is some way to dump Headley I'd bring back Toddfather next year only to replace him. Hire Holliday as an asst batting coach.

I bring back Joe, CC on a 1 year deal (maybe with an option) and go after Otani had. First step in how the rotation shakes out is Tanaka's call but I'd make him a CC type offer of a 2 year extension to have him not opt out. I do whatever is necessary to shed DLssbury and save a few bucks too. I also test the market to see what the return for All-Starlin would be. I'd be shopping hard for a quality left handed reliever (bring back wilson?) and at least 1 quality young catcher. Unless he wants a 1 year cheap deal I let Todd walk, although if there is some way to dump Headley I'd bring back Toddfather next year only to replace him. Hire Holliday as an asst batting coach.
That's not how Tanaka's option works. If he opts in, his contract stands for the next three years. It would be super weird to tack a two year extension on to a contract that would already go for three more seasons.

That's not how Tanaka's option works. If he opts in, his contract stands for the next three years. It would be super weird to tack a two year extension on to a contract that would already go for three more seasons.
This is similar to Arod's situation years ago when the Yankees extended him to keep him from opting out.

I know how it works and if tacking on a couple more years would get Hiro to not opt out, and thus cost more per season. the it should be explored

I know how it works and if tacking on a couple more years would get Hiro to not opt out, and thus cost more per season. the it should be explored
Ok, fine. Be super weird then. Weirdo.

it worked with CC
Stop the madness.

1st. CC >>>>>Tanaka.

2nd. It really didn't work.

3rd. Yanks are trying to get out from under Tanakas contract, not add more years to it.

4th. Can I put a please put a 'Trade DLsbury' line here?

Stop the madness.

1st. CC >>>>>Tanaka.

2nd. It really didn't work.

3rd. Yanks are trying to get out from under Tanakas contract, not add more years to it.

4th. Can I put a please put a 'Trade DLsbury' line here?

1- they dont make the post season without CC and they dont advance as far as they did without both, esp Tanaka
2- it kinda did (see 1)
3- they can get under the luxuray tax threshold even keeping Tanaka at current rate if they are able to shed some other big contracts, such as...
4- per my post above: "do whatever is necessary to shed DLssbury and save a few bucks too"

1- they dont make the post season without CC and they dont advance as far as they did without both, esp Tanaka
2- it kinda did (see 1)
3- they can get under the luxuray tax threshold even keeping Tanaka at current rate if they are able to shed some other big contracts, such as...
4- per my post above: "do whatever is necessary to shed DLssbury and save a few bucks too"
1. Oh, I agree. But don't care now.

2. No way.
-2012 15-6 3.38. (Good)
-2013 14-13 4.78. (Not so good)
-2014 3-4. 5.28 (only 8 games...for 25MM)
-2015 6-10 4.73 (egads!!)
2016 9-12. 3.91 (this was ok, but not for the $$)
-2017 14-5 3.69 (clutch stopper too, worth it)

Looking at that, then consider Tanaka's injury predicament, u think the Yankees would extend him??

Not happening.

I'd like CC on a Pettitte deal, but if not...see ya!!

3. Don't know what they'll do, but giving Tanaka more years is not 1 of them. This April...seeing Sevy, Gray, Tanaka, CC and Monty is not what I want nor expect. Something/one(s) has got to give.

4. Yet to meet 1 Yankee fan who wants DLsbury back

Monty and a prospect may have to be packaged with DLsbury to get someone to take more of his salary.

1. Oh, I agree. But don't care now.

2. No way.
-2012 15-6 3.38. (Good)
-2013 14-13 4.78. (Not so good)
-2014 3-4. 5.28 (only 8 games...for 25MM)
-2015 6-10 4.73 (egads!!)
2016 9-12. 3.91 (this was ok, but not for the $$)
-2017 14-5 3.69 (clutch stopper too, worth it)

Looking at that, then consider Tanaka's injury predicament, u think the Yankees would extend him??

Not happening.

I'd like CC on a Pettitte deal, but if not...see ya!!

3. Don't know what they'll do, but giving Tanaka more years is not 1 of them. This April...seeing Sevy, Gray, Tanaka, CC and Monty is not what I want nor expect. Something/one(s) has got to give.

4. Yet to meet 1 Yankee fan who wants DLsbury back

Monty and a prospect may have to be packaged with DLsbury to get someone to take more of his salary.
I can't say I've met one who was thrilled when the Yankees signed him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom