2018 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Boston Red Sox Thread

This is the truth.
And so is keeping your foot on longer than it should be an open invitation to get spiked.

But then for the sux to try and mask it, but not hitting him the 1st time he was up, but the 2nd...and on the 3rd pitch??...

Please.

Therefore the little girls deserved to be driven back into their dugout.

But like I said, it’s over.

For now...

Is Alsacs the only poster here who roots for all three of the Pats, Celtics, and Red Sox on this board?

Seems like we got an awful lot of band wagoners for one team or another.

Is Alsacs the only poster here who roots for all three of the Pats, Celtics, and Red Sox on this board?

Celtics fan since ‘98. Jays and Phins otherwise. Opposite of a bandwagoner. Sucker for pain.

And so is keeping your foot on longer than it should be an open invitation to get spiked.

But then for the sux to try and mask it, but not hitting him the 1st time he was up, but the 2nd...and on the 3rd pitch??...

Please.

For now...
Austin slid with his spike up.
It’s a no-no and gets players hurt.
They hit him when the game was over and it wasn’t a danger spot.
He got hit and it was over.
Austin was wrong. They didn’t head hunt him. Suzyn Waldman made it sound like they drilled him in the head.

Dal9KTtX0AEDmHz

I've been a Sox fan for 40+ years. OK with the Celts, do not like the Pats.

When you grow up in Syracuse you can root for any team you want to root for- it's like free agency.

Please.

For now...

That was a keen observation by the YES men - re driving the Sox back toward their dugout - until they said it the 9th time. Marveling at a 270 pound man dragging a guy 100 lbs. lighter in any direction is sorta strange.

So I missed the game last night.
However Price blows against the Yankees so that wasn’t shocking.
Him sucking wasn’t a problem but him tapping out after one inning is typical Price.
Austin spike was up on the slide and that is how Pedroia got hurt last year.
Clearly the Sox were sensitive to that type of slide.
Kelly nailed Austin in the back between the numbers. It wasn’t high so I don’t get him complaining. The brawl was both sides defending.
I don’t see why it’s causing anymore crap. The Red Sox didn’t go after the Yankees stars they hit Austin. He charged it should be over.

I don’t get the need for retaliation. If the Yankees hit anyone but Holt they will get one of Stanton/Sanchez/Judge drilled back.

Machado slide that injured Pedroia was slightly different, in that Machado went after him. Austin went straight for the bag. I was taught to jump over the runner when making the throw to first.
r201983_1296x729_16-9.jpg

8953653.jpg

Austin slid with his spike up.
It’s a no-no and gets players hurt.
They hit him when the game was over and it wasn’t a danger spot.
He got hit and it was over.
Austin was wrong. They didn’t head hunt him. Suzyn Waldman made it sound like they drilled him in the head.

Dal9KTtX0AEDmHz

The game was far from over at that point but otherwise I agree with you.

I've been a Sox fan for 40+ years. OK with the Celts, do not like the Pats.

When you grow up in Syracuse you can root for any team you want to root for- it's like free agency.
The American Dream

But you grew up in NEW YORK STATE. I've had many a fun argument with lots of folks about this. Do you cheer against America in the Olympics? Why would you cheer against your home state? It's not free agency, its inarguably traitorous. :cool: No?

Played baseball my whole life. Theres no reason to leave your spikes up.

Loved the Red Sox since somewhere in the early 80s. Celts have always been my NBA team, probably pre-80s for that. Hate the Pats. Especially after living in Boston for 5 years.

Machado slide that injured Pedroia was slightly different, in that Machado went after him. Austin went straight for the bag. I was taught to jump over the runner when making the throw to first.
r201983_1296x729_16-9.jpg

8953653.jpg

He was already standing on the bag, and he wasn't making the throw to first, so there was no chance of him being able to jump over. In fact, he stepped forward over the base, and the punk targeted his back leg with his spikes. Christ, if Pedroia did this, Alsacs and I would be the first ones calling him out. Why do you defend this?

He was already standing on the bag, and he wasn't making the throw to first, so there was no chance of him being able to jump over. In fact, he stepped forward over the base, and the punk targeted his back leg with his spikes. Christ, if Pedroia did this, Alsacs and I would be the first ones calling him out. Why do you defend this?
Defend what? I was pointing out that Machado basically tackled Pedroia and that Austin slid straight for the bag. Punk maybe but as slides into the short stop or second baseman go that was pretty innocuous imo. Google hard slides into second base for a refresher course. Jeeesh. I’m headed home over to the Yankees thread

I root for those three, grew up in Vermont, had a Drew Bledsoe jersey... More of a 'Cuse sports fan though.

he didnt slide for the bag he slid for the leg.. you want take them out clean thats fine. but spikes up no.. learn how to slide with both legs and it wouldnt even be a problem to take him out and leave the feet down.. by the new rules it wasnt even a legal slide since he totally cleared the bag when he finished.

he didnt slide for the bag he slid for the leg.. you want take them out clean thats fine. but spikes up no.. learn how to slide with both legs and it wouldnt even be a problem to take him out and leave the feet down.. by the new rules it wasnt even a legal slide since he totally cleared the bag when he finished.

According to the rule, the runner has to be going for anything above the knee...in this case he wasn't, therefore legal...

According to the rule, the runner has to be going for anything above the knee...in this case he wasn't, therefore legal...
If Holt attempted to throw to first it would have be an automatic double play.
The reason no double play was called was Holt just ate the ball and the umpire rightfully didn’t give the Sox a double play cause there was no attempt to first.

Austin was wrong.
It’s not a big deal but it wasn’t a clean play.

If Holt attempted to throw to first it would have be an automatic double play.
The reason no double play was called was Holt just ate the ball and the umpire rightfully didn’t give the Sox a double play cause there was no attempt to first.

Austin was wrong.
It’s not a big deal but it wasn’t a clean play.

Then you disagree with most impartial analysts and observers...

“I don’t think it was intentional,” Holt said. “I think he was going in hard. It was a bunt. I’m not going to turn a double play on that play, especially with Wade running. So we’re trying to get the lead out. I think he was just going in hard, but he went in hard a little late and with the spikes up. So it happened, and we’ll move on. … New rule or no new rule, we know how to get out of the way. And on that play I’m stretching like a first baseman to get the lead out, and then I have someone sliding into my leg. That’s not one of the plays where you’re expecting someone to come after you, but we are protected now. But like I said, I think he was just going in hard – he just messed up.”

From: Craziest Part Of Red Sox-Yankees Brawl? Brock Holt Didn't Even Want It To Happen

“I don’t think it was intentional,” Holt said. “I think he was going in hard. It was a bunt. I’m not going to turn a double play on that play, especially with Wade running. So we’re trying to get the lead out. I think he was just going in hard, but he went in hard a little late and with the spikes up. So it happened, and we’ll move on. … New rule or no new rule, we know how to get out of the way. And on that play I’m stretching like a first baseman to get the lead out, and then I have someone sliding into my leg. That’s not one of the plays where you’re expecting someone to come after you, but we are protected now. But like I said, I think he was just going in hard – he just messed up.”

From: Craziest Part Of Red Sox-Yankees Brawl? Brock Holt Didn't Even Want It To Happen

So you agree the runner went in with spikes up and he messed up. Cool, that's all we were looking for.

But you grew up in NEW YORK STATE. I've had many a fun argument with lots of folks about this. Do you cheer against America in the Olympics? Why would you cheer against your home state? It's not free agency, its inarguably traitorous. :cool: No?

Haha. That argument would work well when talking about the Bills, NJ Jets and NJ Giants.

Actually as a kid I remember the Syracuse Chiefs being the AAA club for the NYY. When Georgie pulled out that ticked off a lot of CNY residents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom