2018 Fall Ball Thread... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Ball Thread...

Jfiorini-#32

Based on the 2018 roster, at 6-5, 236, #32 may very well still be Jack Fiorini. 32 was a big guy out there

Do you know Magnan’s number?

Last edited:
They should hand out a roster card at next week's scrimmage.

Hopefully someone can post a few photos of it.

1 Bradley Voight
2 Griffin Cook
3 Nate Solomon
4 Jake Nelson
5 Garlow
6 Luke Schwasnick
7 McKinney
8 Matt Magnan
9 Peter Dearth
10 Mike Berkman
11 Austin Fusco
12 Jamie Trimboli
13 Pete Fiorini
14 Owen Seebold
15 Pat Carlin
16 Brendan Curry
17 Brett Kennedy
18 Tyson Bomberry
19 Jack Kennedy
20 David Lipka
21 Nick Mellen
22 Vacant
23 Tucker Dordovic
24 Logan Dieball
26 Lucas Quinn
27 Luke Strang
28 Swigart
29 Stephen Rehfuss
30 O’Sullivan
32 J Fiorini
33 Drake Porter
34 Jonathan Partamian
35 Dami Oladunmoye
36 Jacob Buttermore
37 Jake Phaub
38 Andrew Kim
39 Justin Kim
41 Barlow
42 Danny Varello
43 Marcus Cunningham
44 Nick DiPietro
45 Jerry Staats
48 Jared Fernandez
51 McPeak
77 Willie Klan
83 Martin
88 Andrew Helmer
89 Troy Lauder
90 Grant Murphy

Last edited:
I'm very happy everyone is excited about yesterdays scrimmage...I was there ,sorry I didn't post live but here are some of the things I took away from the scrimmage ...first all we played 2 of the bottom D1 schools...we barley beat Marist...I thought our offense looked flat against them...against Binghamton we scored most of our goals against their 3rd string defense...im sorry but I was not impressed ...we have a lot work ahead of us

1 Bradley Voight
2 Griffin Cook
3 Nate Solomon
4 Jake Nelson
6 Luke Schwasnick
8 Matt Magnan
9 Peter Dearth
10 Mike Berkman
11 Austin Fusco
12 Jamie Trimboli
13 Pete Fiorini
14 Owen Seebold
15 Pat Carlin
16 Brendan Curry
17 Brett Kennedy
18 Tyson Bomberry
19 Jack Kennedy
20 David Lipka
21 Nick Mellen
22 Vacant
23 Tucker Dordovic
24 Logan Dieball
26 Lucas Quinn
27 Luke Strang
29 Stephen Rehfuss
33 Drake Porter
35 Dami Oladunmoye
36 Jacob Buttermore
37 Jake Phaub
38 Andrew Kim
39 Justin Kim
42 Danny Varello
43 Marcus Cunningham
44 Nick DiPietro
45 Jerry Staats
48 Jared Fernandez
77 Willie Klan
88 Andrew Helmer
89 Troy Lauder
90 Grant Murphy

5 Garlow ??
7 McKinney ??
28 Swigert ??
30 O'Sullivan ??
32 J.Fiorini
34 Partamanian ??
41 Barlow ??
51 McPeak ??
83 Martin ??

9A438DA6-110C-4FB0-B052-FE3CCB52CA79.jpeg

Curry did well on the first line but I think a healthy dordevic regains that spot, which makes the second line so much deeper.

All the goalies played well. Need a tougher opponent to make that call.

Overall, I think what we saw today is what we’ll see in the spring, barring injuries. Cook will get plenty of run in a rotation of some kind. I don’t think he was ever out there with Rehfuss, though. I could be wrong but I don’t remember seeing them together

Transition/early offense looked great against Bingo. Dearth is so valuable there

I must have missed it in a post but who were the 1st line middies? Are you suggesting that Cook is going to bump Curry from the 1st line? Last year the 1st line was Curry, Trimbo and Dordevic.

I must have missed it in a post but who were the 1st line middies? Are you suggesting that Cook is going to bump Curry from the 1st line? Last year the 1st line was Curry, Trimbo and Dordevic.

I think he was confused and was talking about whoever was playing in Dordevic's spot. Curry unless there is some crazy development will be a 1st line mid-fielder.

I think he was confused and was talking about whoever was playing in Dordevic's spot. Curry unless there is some crazy development will be a 1st line mid-fielder.

May have been Quinn?

Yeah, my bad. That’s what I meant. The number change threw me.

The first line yesterday was Trimboli, Curry and Lipka.

As I said, Curry’s number change threw me a bit. I also love Lipka’s game. Loved watching him last year. But whichever of those two goes down to the second line will make that line so much deeper.

Last edited:
Any ideas on who 31 is? It looks like NazLax said he was on the second line of middies to start. Maybe Owen Hill?

NazLax30, can't thank you enough for all the updates - much appreciated! Any thoughts on the new rules? Did the tempo look okay to you? Were the players adjusted to it?

I'm excited about the second midfield line, glad to hear Lipka's name mentioned. I think he is due for a breakout season. Thought he got overshadowed by Curry and Dordovic last year but he is near their level.

Trying not to put too much pressure on Cook, but it sounds like he could really improve the offense if he gets extended time.

Yes, of course would like to see the team perform better in these scrimmages, but Syracuse always seems to struggle in these fall scrimmages - two years ago I think they "lost" the alumni game as well as a game against Lehigh. Things in the regular season turned out to be okay.

NazLax30, can't thank you enough for all the updates - much appreciated! Any thoughts on the new rules? Did the tempo look okay to you? Were the players adjusted to it?

I'm excited about the second midfield line, glad to hear Lipka's name mentioned. I think he is due for a breakout season. Thought he got overshadowed by Curry and Dordovic last year but he is near their level.

Trying not to put too much pressure on Cook, but it sounds like he could really improve the offense if he gets extended time.

Yes, of course would like to see the team perform better in these scrimmages, but Syracuse always seems to struggle in these fall scrimmages - two years ago I think they "lost" the alumni game as well as a game against Lehigh. Things in the regular season turned out to be okay.

I thought the pace of play was perfect. In settled sets, all three teams had the opportunity to get their personnel on and run their offenses. There were very few bad shots just to beat the shot clock (there were some bad shots, no question, but not because of an expiring clock). I think there were less than 5 shot clock violations across the three games.

There wasn’t an inordinate amount of transition. Syracuse scored more in transition against Bingo than Marist but they pushed earlier more often against Bingo. A lot of early offense. It was fun to watch. Some of it was vintage Syracuse.

Syracuse did get its offensive middies caught on D a few times, which would probably hurt a whole lot more against Duke or Virginia than it did yesterday.

Didn’t see any crease dives in any of the games. There were times when it could have happened. Maybe the teams agreed not to this early? Not sure.

I'm very happy everyone is excited about yesterdays scrimmage...I was there ,sorry I didn't post live but here are some of the things I took away from the scrimmage ...first all we played 2 of the bottom D1 schools...we barley beat Marist...I thought our offense looked flat against them...against Binghamton we scored most of our goals against their 3rd string defense...im sorry but I was not impressed ...we have a lot work ahead of us

Definitely came out flat against Marist. Marist came out fired up and took it to Cuse right away. Looked like Cuse just assumed it would steamroll Marist. Should have.

Binghamton wrecked Marist in the first game. Not sure if you were there for that one. I definitely assumed the Marist game would be a bloodbath. It wasn’t. May not be a bad thing. Ego checks are healthy.

Cuse started pulling away from Binghamton when they pushed the tempo and played the way we all seem to want them to play. When they were effective, they dodged hard, moved the ball quickly and scored in all sorts of ways — transition, manup, in close, step downs, dodged from X, shots on the run, 5x5. Just fun to watch.

But you’re right, Syracuse was far from perfect — had quite a few unforced turnovers and some bad shots right to the stick or chest (Trimboli, for one, took a few shots reminiscent of his freshmen campaign). The SSDMs had some rough moments, as did the young long poles. Passes were dropped that would have quickly turned into at least a good shot (Kennedy and #32 dropped passes in the slot, as two examples). Faceoffs were inconsistent, as I noted. It was not perfect, but a lot of kids got on the field and the stars made the kind of plays we want them to. Trimboli, Lipka, Rehfuss, Solomon, Cook, Curry all scored beautiful goals. Helmer was a force with both sticks. Bomberry was a beast. Mellen was Mellen (though he did look a little shaky a couple times).

Will Syracuse win the national championship this year? I don’t know. Yesterday was still September. But yesterday did tell me this team will be fun to watch and has the potential — potential, I repeat; there’s no guarantee — to look a lot like the run and gun teams of the past. I wasn’t a fan of the shot clock when it was proposed. Yesterday changed my mind (although 90 seconds makes more sense, but that’s nit picking).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom