2018 Fall Ball Thread... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Ball Thread...

Does anybody know if Fernandez qualified for a medical redshirt after his injury last season?

He only played in 4 games. He should be eligible. 30% or less of your scheduled games (rounded up).

Cunningham is without a doubt worthy of being one of the starters. Last year I almost never saw him get beat strait up off the dodge, he is disciplined when it comes to penalties, and appears to not make many crucial mistakes when it comes to sliding. If anyone should be on the chopping block I would say its Bomberry with his unacceptable amount of penalties and lack of speed, but his experience with the D system probably makes him worthy of starting despite his problem areas. In the end I think we should make no changes to the starting D because their experience as a unit is too valuable. The real questions are what will we do with all these talented and experienced LSMs and how do we fix our completely TRASH short stick D? Fusco, Helmer, Kennedy, Fernandez, and now Staats, are all legit. Helmer already plays short stick. Should one more try it out as well?
Bomberry's foot speed/footwork isn't great -- often playing catch up - but there is a lot to be said for experience as a "unit", communication and good slide instincts

Bomberry's foot speed/footwork isn't great -- often playing catch up - but there is a lot to be said for experience as a "unit", communication and good slide instincts
Bomberry is also great at knocking down passes, scooping GBs and carrying the ball in transition.

He only played in 4 games. He should be eligible. 30% or less of your scheduled games (rounded up).
Not sure ACC or NCAA tourney games count into that equation, it may be only regular season games

Not sure ACC or NCAA tourney games count into that equation, it may be only regular season games

One ACCT game counts. Even if we only count 13 games, he's still good.

Football plays 12 games, and the standard has always been 4.

Cunningham again. Every year we start with the sit Cunningham stuff. He is a very good defender, has been for three years. Bomberry was injured last year and slowed down the defense; however, he is very smart and communicates well, so he is still very valuable, if healthy he should start. Love the competition for playing time at LSM. Kennedy, Fernandez, Dipietro et al, could easily move to close d to replace an injured Bomberry. It is the new goalie, I'm anxious about. Whoever he is, he will need veteran communicators and leaders to coordinate the defense.

Again, I'm leery about the next few recruiting classes. Florini and Cook appear ready to play, maybe a lot. The others, not so much. I miss lax power, but fanlax looks like a good option.

Most are capable enough in roles but best talent should be played even if it requires some rearrangement . Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Fall

Shot clock factors into schemes and personnel, do we pack a zone and/or extend and pressure , how are we approaching transition? Only a few talents check off most boxes.

Looking forward to fall auditions of young attackman Seebold, Cook, Berkman . 17 Lauder is forgotten name but recall him being quite savvy around the crease. Maybe he joins the convo.

Be interesting to see if quicker pace inhibits subbing and how efficient we are sub on the fly. Perhaps a few players emerge as two way mids. Defenders use a short stick in box, perhaps Staats gets some fall runs at dm if mobile enough.

The specific skills of goalies are still unknown, interested in finding out in fall who passes and directs well .

I was puzzled by the defense last year - I thought they had all the ingredients to be a pretty good unit. It just never materialized. I think it was a number of things - injuries to Bomberry and a number of the short sticks (Hutchins and Helmer were out numerous times), too many rotations, an inconsistent goalie, a struggling new short stick unit, a struggling face-off unit, and a failure to communicate. Team-wide, last year it seemed like if one unit started to produce, another would fall apart. It was like wack-a-mole. The offense had some excuses with all the new faces though. Hopefully with fall ball, and more defined roles, the defense can settle into a groove.

Question for others - who would you pick as your starting short stick duo? Honestly I watched every game last year and really struggled to figure out who the "starters" on that unit were. I thought some showed promise but the minute a mistake was made, guys were yanked and replaced by someone else who eventually made another mistake and the game of musical chairs continued.

If I had to choose I think I would go with Dearth and Helmer, with Dami and Murphy as the backups. But of course I see question marks with all those guys - Dearth is a threat in transition but makes some head scratching defensive plays - Helmer and Murphy don't have the best stick skills and Dami looked lost at times last year. I feel like if the coaches had stuck with a tighter rotation last year, that experience would have paid off this year. Instead it almost feels like we are back at square one with this group.

I would say Hutchings and Helmer. They have the most experience and seem to have the best understanding of the defense. I think when both are healthy they are not easy to beat. I REALLY liked Helmer with a long pole during his freshman year, but we have too many great guys already in that position already. I would say Dearth but he seems to lack the experience and footwork for D and while I would like to think about transition, the ability to actually play defense comes first, even with the rule changes. Another name to throw around is #6 Luke Shwasnick. He did mostly faceoff wing work last year but he is a serious athlete.

I was puzzled by the defense last year - I thought they had all the ingredients to be a pretty good unit. It just never materialized. I think it was a number of things - injuries to Bomberry and a number of the short sticks (Hutchins and Helmer were out numerous times), too many rotations, an inconsistent goalie, a struggling new short stick unit, a struggling face-off unit, and a failure to communicate. Team-wide, last year it seemed like if one unit started to produce, another would fall apart. It was like wack-a-mole. The offense had some excuses with all the new faces though. Hopefully with fall ball, and more defined roles, the defense can settle into a groove.

Question for others - who would you pick as your starting short stick duo? Honestly I watched every game last year and really struggled to figure out who the "starters" on that unit were. I thought some showed promise but the minute a mistake was made, guys were yanked and replaced by someone else who eventually made another mistake and the game of musical chairs continued.

If I had to choose I think I would go with Dearth and Helmer, with Dami and Murphy as the backups. But of course I see question marks with all those guys - Dearth is a threat in transition but makes some head scratching defensive plays - Helmer and Murphy don't have the best stick skills and Dami looked lost at times last year. I feel like if the coaches had stuck with a tighter rotation last year, that experience would have paid off this year. Instead it almost feels like we are back at square one with this group.
P22 - It's not just us, it's the coaches too. No one group or individual stood out last year at ssdm. For a minute someone would show up. The next minute, he'd screw the pooch. I liked all of the ssdms for short periods. Then I didn't. I like Dami for his speed, hip quicks, aggressiveness. Oops he missed a slide. I think Dearth is by far the best all round athlete of all the possibilities, particularly for his clearing and offensive capabilities. Murphy is a horse. Intelligent and aggressive. Athletic too. Helmer's good with both sticks and plays with both, which is why he does not play well consistently at short. I have long asserted that it takes any least two years to train a good ssdm. The past year was training day for many. I think you will see a narrowed group of ssdms this year. What I like about the whole group is its size and general talent level, unusual for SU for the last few years. Even though they screwed up during many games, I enjoyed watching them struggle. Hutchings seemed too slow to me to play every rotation. I would leave him out of the group, but then what do I know. I believe the coaches will be forced to choose to leave ssdms in even though they spit the bit at times, just to build confidence and experience with adversity. What if the whole group comes back this year far more capable? Wishful thinking?

several kids have decided not to return...#2 #8 #24 #81 #13 #26 #46 #47#55
So, based on the current roster (class as of the 2018 season):

#2 Romano Fr M
#8 Ford R-Jr M
#24 Hutchings R-So M
#81 Chavez R-Jr D
#13 Nelson Fr A
#26 Sullivan So M
#46 Edwards R-Fr D
#47 Flanagan So D
#55 Major Fr M

Is that correct?

So, based on the current roster (class as of the 2018 season):

#2 Romano R-Jr M
#8 Ford R-Sr M
#24 Hutchings Sr M
#81 Chavez R-Sr D
#13 Nelson RF A
#26 Sullivan Jr M
#46 Edwards RF D
#47 Flanagan Jr D
#55 Major RF M

Ford and Chavez are 5th year players who have their degrees.

Nelson was rumored to be leaving.

Flanagan and Major were walk-ons.

Romano just couldn't get on the field.

Hutchings is a bit of a surprise.

There are always players leaving.

We'd have over 60 players otherwise.

Ford and Chavez are 5th year players who have their degrees.

Nelson was rumored to be leaving.

Flanagan and Major were walk-ons.

Romano just couldn't get on the field.

Hutchings is a bit of a surprise.

The writing was on the wall for pretty much everyone on that list save for maybe Hutchings. Romano is a former UA but hes been altering between the 3rd and 4th mid field line. With 2 more UA midfielders coming into the fold it was clear he had to leave if he wanted to play. Ditto for Chavez. Nelson is a nice kid but he's a fringe D1 player, not a shot at him but he's not going to play for a team like Syracuse.

Hutchings rotated in a SSDM this year and has some up and down moments. May have decided to go somewhere else where he can see major minutes which was unlikely at SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom