2018 Fall Ball Thread... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Ball Thread...

several kids have decided not to return...#2 #8 #24 #81 #13 #26 #46 #47#55

Obviously some turnover was expected. Agree with others in being surprised about Hutchins, two years ago I thought he was going to turn into a very good SSDM, last year he seemed to digress and suffered some injury problems. Still surprised to see that he is gone. The good news is the team still has plenty of candidates for the position. Disappointed as well with Romano, had high hopes for him and thought he would be an impact player. These things happen though.

Seems a silly project but any idea what numbers the freshman have been given? I believe Berkman has number 10 (my understanding is Curry took his dad's 16), and Peter Fiorini has 13. Magnan wore the now available 24 in high school.

Scared to even bring it up, but is 22 still off limits for a second straight season?

This is what should be available (assuming that Curry switched)
2 Cook?
10 Berkman?
13 Fiorini?
22 ??
24 Magnan?
44 DiPietro?
45 Hill?
Practically anything over 50

Last edited:
Honestly if this is the final list of people leaving I feel a great deal of relief, despite the large amount. I was very much not a fan of Tyler Ford or Laz Chavez in the minimal playing time they received but I wish them well. Same goes for Romano, but it is still shocking how little he did relative to the hype. Hutchings is a major blow as we are losing someone with experience at our weakest position. The rest seem to be walk ons essentially. We retained all of our younger offensive players who showed talent but did not recieve much playing time; Lucas Quinn, Seebold, Troy Lauder, Buttermore, Riley O'Sullivan. Also Carlin and Luke Schwasnick did not leave despite being (I think) redshirt seniors who probably already have their degrees. The rumors about Trimboli leaving are now confirmed as untrue. All of this is fantastic and more than cancels out the Hutchings loss. It looks like we will still have our offensive middie depth, which could be crucial for next year's more fast paced game, and no major piece of the puzzle decided to transfer, which is always a feared possibility.

Agreed. So far so good. I always wanted Tyler Ford to do well. He's an upstate kid from a small program. There were glimpses of being able to make plays.

Ford and Chavez are 5th year players who have their degrees.

Nelson was rumored to be leaving.

Flanagan and Major were walk-ons.

Romano just couldn't get on the field.

Hutchings is a bit of a surprise.

Interesting that Hutchings is not back, hes the biggest surprise for me. Not surprised by Chavez as there were rumors of a rift with the staff about playing time. Unfortunately, Ford could never find a position. They had him at attack, mid and d-mid it just never clicked.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more RS Seniors either quit after Fall Ball or get cut

I assume Hutchings and Romano made good decisions based on years of practice against their competitors. More power to them both. During the short spans of game time I saw, I gained the impression that both lacked the speed to compete either as ssdms or offensive middies. On Romano's videos, he seemed much more athletic than he did at SU. Amazing what changes in competition levels can do to appearances.

Just wondering what are the chances that any of these guys just switched numbers?

List pretty much as expected. Sorry to hear about Romano, was always a fan and had hoped he would materialize. Spoke to a couple of people about him last year who are close to the team and they said that he has insane skills but lacked confidence in a game time situation. Hope he gets a chance to see serious time elsewhere and unleash the true talent that he has.

Calling all the Twitter wizards and snoopers, Sunday y’all got a job to do.

Excited to hear about the scrimmage at Binghamton (the tweet made me think it was at Marist). Hope someone is able to make the trip. Sometimes these fall scrimmages get covered pretty well. I am betting there will be video highlights of one in Philadelphia in October at least.

I imagine they will rotate guys pretty heavily but most interested to see who is starting in that third attack role. My early money is on Voigt, but that definitely doesn't mean he has the spot locked up.

Does this potentially mean we are not playing Binghamton next year? Scrimmages against a team you will go on to play in the regular season seem extremely uncommon.

Does this potentially mean we are not playing Binghamton next year? Scrimmages against a team you will go on to play in the regular season seem extremely uncommon.

Sounds like it is still up in the air -

Jastrzembski also confirming the scrimmages in Philly which is good to see. Nice to have a busy fall schedule I think.

Is tucker gonna play or they gonna keep him out for precautionary?

And I guess now would be the best time for predictions for starters and first two lines of mid. I know we gone over this but for the hell of it...

Line 1:
Curry
Dordevic (If able)
Trimboli

Line 2:
Carlin
David Lipka
Lucas Quinn (If Peter Dearth is still playing 2 way middie/face off wing type stuff)

I dont think any of the freshmen would crack the top 6 if we they plan on being serious about keeping the lines the same, which they probably won't be. Maybe Matt Mangan or Owen Hill.

I like the two returners and Cook or Curry at attack. We have such a deep midfield if Cook isn't ready we have to try and move one of those guys down. My two variations at the midfield would be same first line as last year second line Carlin, Lipka, Quinn. With Curry at attack I got Trimboli, Dordevic, Lipka. Carlin, Quinn, Buttermore.

I love Voigt think he's an awesome dude. Not a D1 starting attackman. He's a shooter who isn't particularly good at getting open and doesn't carry the ball well at all. He's perfect as a man up guy.

Edit: almost forgot one of my favorite players Nick Martin will reprise his role as starting man down SSDM. He was a great story last year and made an impact at a position I didn't know existed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom