2018 PGA Championship | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2018 PGA Championship

I was joking. I saw it. Tiger was all class waiting for Koepka to come in.
Koepka was nonchalant though about seeing his mom who supposedly was a surprise according to Nantz in being there. He was like oh hey how’s it going. To his mom.

He said fairly clearly I love you to his mother and gave her a big hug. What else was he supposed to do?

Same. I watched for Tiger and also because I live down the street. I know the course didn’t impress anyone, but I think the fans did St. Louis proud.
I think the course needs to be commended. The PGA is always the redheaded stepchild, but even with some of the weather related issues, I thought the PGA did a great job with this course. I was expecting the worst and I thought it was very fair that it rewarded the players who made great golf shots. Plus the course seemed to be in great shape. I have no complaints at all about the course.

He said fairly clearly I love you to his mother and gave her a big hug. What else was he supposed to do?
I just rewatched it.
He sees her and says "how are you?" I didn’t hear I love you I watched the whole thing.

Last edited:
I just rewatched it.
He sees her and says "how are you?" I didn’t hear I love you I watched the whole thing.

I thought I heard him say that but either way not sure of the point. He seemed like a gracious winner, really didn't find anything he did to be objectionable.

I thought I heard him say that but either way not sure of the point. He seemed like a gracious winner, really didn't find anything he did to be objectionable.
Koepka is just a robot. Congrats to the guy he is a machine and deserves a lot of credit how the pressure never bother him.
He is just like his good friend Dustin Johnson. They are great players and Koepka is the player of the year.
He just has no personality and it was funny how machine like he was to seeing his mom surprise him.

I agree with some of your points but on two points I disagree. With regard to Koepka's pedigree that is exactly why his accomplishments are so remarkable and worthy of tremendous attention. But that leads to the second point. You say Tiger is a minor factor as to why Koepka has not gained more fame and attention but then just ask yourself what kind of attention Koepka would be getting if Tiger was still on the shelf this season?

It may make Brooks done more remarkable, but the public, not only in golf loves young phenoms. It's part of why Tiger is so popular, and it's also why Rory and Jordan broke the wall more than others.

I don't think Tiger takes much away from him.. You ask why a 3 time major winner has not had any fanfare.. but his 3rd major happened 2 hours ago. People (or media) have yet to have the time to even process it or communicate it.

I think you have to give time for the Brooks legend to fester. AIf he stays on top of his game leading up to Augusta, is world #1 or #2, and he enters the tourney with 3 majors (not 2 like he did this week) he will have plenty of fanfare.

It may make Brooks done more remarkable, but the public, not only in golf loves young phenoms. It's part of why Tiger is so popular, and it's also why Rory and Jordan broke the wall more than others.

I don't think Tiger takes much away from him.. You ask why a 3 time major winner has not had any fanfare.. but his 3rd major happened 2 hours ago. People (or media) have yet to have the time to even process it or communicate it.

I think you have to give time for the Brooks legend to fester. AIf he stays on top of his game leading up to Augusta, is world #1 or #2, and he enters the tourney with 3 majors (not 2 like he did this week) he will have plenty of fanfare.
I will say Dustin has fans but he isn’t a fan favorite. So it’s no sure thing Koepka will get bandwagons.

Speith is a robot for sure and he is the guy after Rory of the young guys with large supporters.

Let's not make it only about Tiger fixation. Fans still love Phil more than anybody else on tour (not named Tiger) by a fair margin and his list of accomplishments this year is not so great.

The fact that Phil and Tiger are still well ahead of others, just shows that there is something lacking in today's players that is not capturing attention...or that golf fans are still more attached to the past.

Let's look at Vijay Singh vs Phil Mickelson, circa 2004. Vijay had a historic season and no one gave a crap about it. It was still all about Tiger and Phil (even a one major Phil)

-In 2004, Vijay won 9 times. (a feat that no one has beat since)
He caught an active Tiger Woods to became world #1.
He had 3 career majors at the time (vs 1 one for Phil)

And yet Phil was the much more popular golf figure. Vijay was having a historical season and basically no one cared. Vijay was one of the early versions of a very robotic personality. Winning by itself will not get you fame.

I agree with some of your points but on two points I disagree. With regard to Koepka's pedigree that is exactly why his accomplishments are so remarkable and worthy of tremendous attention. But that leads to the second point. You say Tiger is a minor factor as to why Koepka has not gained more fame and attention but then just ask yourself what kind of attention Koepka would be getting if Tiger was still on the shelf this season?

Not much more. He is a dud of a personality and not overly bright in his interviews. He is the stereotypical athlete meathead.

I will say Dustin has fans but he isn’t a fan favorite. So it’s no sure thing Koepka will get bandwagons.

Speith is a robot for sure and he is the guy after Rory of the young guys with large supporters.

As per above, Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka seem to be the modern versions of Vijay Singh in performance and attitude. People didn't care that Vijay won 17 times over a 3 year period, and had 30 top 3 finishes.

Solid points all tho I would remind that he's a repeat US Open winner. Just seems like he hasn't received much fanfare for that.

I was joking. I saw it. Tiger was all class waiting for Koepka to come in.
Koepka was nonchalant though about seeing his mom who supposedly was a surprise according to Nantz in being there. He was like oh hey how’s it going. To his mom.
Ah ok. It can be tough to tell with you sometimes.

Not much more. He is a dud of a personality and not overly bright in his interviews. He is the stereotypical athlete meathead.

It's kind of amusing how we (I do it too) judge people based off a few snippets of info or what the press tells us.

Rank the overall careers of the following:

Day
Garcia
D. Johnson
Koepka
McIlroy
Reed
Rose
Scott
Spieth
Stenson
Thomas
B. Watson

It's kind of amusing how we (I do it too) judge people based off a few snippets of info or what the press tells us.

Un no. Listen to the guy talk. Total meathead. He could be a football player.

Un no. Listen to the guy talk. Total meathead. He could be a football player.

I really didn't pick up on that but then again you're used to listening to dumbasses like Jerrah so maybe u have a better ear for that than me.

I really didn't pick up on that but then again you're used to listening to dumbasses like Jerrah so maybe u have a better ear for that than me.

Don't even get me started on jerrah.

Anyway Brooks and also Dustin seem like decent people but they are not the most scintillating interview. If you like them that's great. I personally want some one who can have an actual conversation with the people interviewing them.

I would consider Spieth the anti-robot. He's one of the most emotional players on tour imo.

He has a mix of robotic traits and emotional traits. Many called Tiger a robot as well in his early prime, but he was similar to Jordan in his emotional traits.

Don't even get me started on jerrah.

Anyway Brooks and also Dustin seem like decent people but they are not the most scintillating interview. If you like them that's great. I personally want some one who can have an actual conversation with the people interviewing them.

I enjoy watching all of these guys play. It's not that I like one over the other but I personally get bored with the 24/7/365 on Tiger. I get it that it's what the fans want but a lot of them are missing some spectacular golf from some of these guys. And don't even get me started on the media.

I agree with this - he could be a quiet, overly focused guy. I call him uncharismatic. But he may not be dumb. We have not seen enough of him.

I think we have seen enough of Dustin Johnson however to make certain conclusions.

Rank the overall careers of the following:

Day
Garcia
D. Johnson
Koepka
McIlroy
Reed
Rose
Scott
Spieth
Stenson
Thomas
B. Watson
1. McIlroy
2. Speith
3. Rose
4. Johnson
5. Koepka
6. Stenson
7. Day
8. Bubba
9. Reed
10. Garcia
11. Thomas

I would say a lot of this close. Like Koepka would go up with more wins as he has 3 majors. A guy like Stenson is very underrated. He has been in a lot of majors but only has 1.

Last edited:
I agree with this - he could be a quiet, overly focused guy. I call him uncharismatic. But he may not be dumb. We have not seen enough of him.

I think we have seen enough of Dustin Johnson however to make certain conclusions.

Yeah not mention that if you've won three of the last six majors you've played in then you probably have some decent brainpower going on. Golf is one of the most cerebral sports out there imo.

Solid points all tho I would remind that he's a repeat US Open winner. Just seems like he hasn't received much fanfare for that.

Not even just to Tiger. But even compared to all the other younger generation he seems to get overshadowed entering this week . I am pretty sure by the next major he will be at the top of the

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom