2019-20 Baseball offseason | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2019-20 Baseball offseason

You guys are trading Maeda for the pitching prospect from the Twins who was supposed to go to Boston.
He will be a reliever for the Dodgers next year.
He is 21 years old and can throw 100.
The reason the Red Sox didn’t want him is because they believe his medical won’t let him stay healthy enough to start.

Dodgers didn’t need Maeda.
The Joc Pederson and Ross Stirpling deal fell thru though.

It sucks to me the Red Sox got a better deal in the redo than they deserved.
Wong and Downs are decent prospects.

Whoa, we’re getting the damaged goods that you all didn’t want?

Whoa, we’re getting the damaged goods that you all didn’t want?
It’s a good deal for the Dodgers.
The Red Sox didn’t want the guy because they wanted to redo the deal after the backlash they got for the return.
Sox didn’t think the pitcher can start so they didn’t want him.
He is going to be a reliever for the Dodgers and he looks good. He is young at 21 even if he needs a Tommy John and he can throw 100. He was the Twins top prospect.

I hear what you are saying about Henry. The Tom Werner shot is unfair and I have met him on 3 seperate occasions and he was very nice and took a lot of time with the fans. He is a producer and what Rosanne says on twitter or what Cosby does are on them and not on him. I don't love everything about the ownership group but this is the best group we have had in my lifetime.
EQfrFpxWoAALm8O

The Red Sox wanted Mookie to take a discount.
Mookie wanted market rate and a lot of years.
The Red Sox didn’t want to do that.
10 years 300 million isn’t good enough.
12 years 420 million isn’t going to happen.
If the Red Sox offered 8 years 320
Million or 10 years 350 million then Mookie might have signed.

Mookie doesn’t owe the team taking a discount. The Red Sox aren’t a small market team.

Betts is a Boras guy. Boras takes all those guys to market. Boswell had a good piece on it yesterday in his Washington Post chat.

There are enough Moreno's and Middleton's out there to overspend.

why do we need 162 regular season games if there are going to be 14 playoff teams.

nba / nhl only go 82 games for 16 teams..so mlb should be around 8...for 162.

now you will hear it bantered about that MLB could reduce the number of games ...but do you REALLY see the owners doing this?

1. less gate means less money
2. fewer games means TV package prices would drop.
3. paying players the same over few games is tantamount to a salary raise.

Betts is a Boras guy. Boras takes all those guys to market. Boswell had a good piece on it yesterday in his Washington Post chat.

No doubt. The only way Boston was going to re-sign Betts prior to FA was if they topped Trout's deal of $430/12. Betts is a great player but that would be the definition of insanity to pay that kind of $$$.

Xander Bogaerts is a Boras guy.
He took a discount to stay in Boston.
He signed a 6 year 120 million deal last year.

Your boy Stephen Strasburg is a Boras Guy.
He took a deal with the Nationals months before he was going to become a FA.
He opted out of that deal. Used the WS run to leverage a better deal as an extension.

Boras likes going to the FA market but the guy will do what his clients want. Bogaerts and Strasburg wanted to stay so they took hometown discounts with opt outs in their deals.
Mookie wasn’t going to take a discount.
He would sign with the Red Sox IMO if they offered him a deal he would get in FA.
They never did that.

why do we need 162 regular season games if there are going to be 14 playoff teams.

now you will hear it bantered about that MLB could reduce the number of games ...but do you REALLY see the owners doing this?

I agree 100% with all this

If you think about it, have any of the big 4 professional leagues ever decreased the number of regular season games or playoff teams? It can only go one direction, which is why all changes need to be carefully considered.

Xander Bogaerts is a Boras guy.
He took a discount to stay in Boston.
He signed a 6 year 120 million deal last year.

Your boy Stephen Strasburg is a Boras Guy.
He took a deal with the Nationals months before he was going to become a FA.
He opted out of that deal. Used the WS run to leverage a better deal as an extension.

Boras likes going to the FA market but the guy will do what his clients want. Bogaerts and Strasburg wanted to stay so they took hometown discounts with opt outs in their deals.
Mookie wasn’t going to take a discount.
He would sign with the Red Sox IMO if they offered him a deal he would get in FA.
They never did that.

Harper wanted to take the 300 mil, Boras moved him off that to set some stupid record for himself that got instantly shattered anyway.

MLB free agency is a bit of a mess, these mega contracts don't make a ton of sense but guys are "underpaid" for seven years which tend to be their most productive.

The President of the USA SHOULDN’t f***ing have time to tweet about Pete Rose.
My god. Also thank you for affirming I am right the guy shouldn’t be off the banned list.
So Barry taking time on Mike and Mike, et al, for his NCAA picks for 8 years was a good use of his time.

The Sox absolutely werent going to risk losing him for nothing. Theyve been burned before
Mookie absolutely wasnt going to sign without testing the market. He had earned that right.

The sides were at an impasse.

As a Sox fan, the fact that we still don't have a manager as pitchers and catchers report (and that after all this will likely settle on their bench coach) bothers me MUCH more than the trade which I saw coming a year ago, and which produced IMO 2 above average prospects and a solid catching prospect for what may ultimately be one year of service, as well as offloading half the mega dollars of a chronic malcontent and oft underachiever. I'm gonna miss the hell out of Mook, but I dont see how this could have been avoided unless the Sox made a crazy big offer which makes no sense to do given what some other mega FAs had to settle for in the end.

The Sox absolutely werent going to risk losing him for nothing. Theyve been burned before
Mookie absolutely wasnt going to sign without testing the market. He had earned that right.

As a Sox fan, the fact that we still don't have a manager as pitchers and catchers report (and that after all this will likely settle on their bench coach) bothers me MUCH more than the trade which I saw coming a year ago, and which produced IMO 2 above average prospects and a solid catching prospect for what may ultimately be one year of service, as well as offloading half the mega dollars of a chronic malcontent and oft underachiever. I'm gonna miss the hell out of Mook, but I dont see how this could have been avoided unless the Sox made a crazy big offer which makes no sense to do given what some other mega FAs had to settle for in the end.
They could have signed Mookie to a market contract. John Henry and the ownership think fans are stupid.
They had their robot GM claim the trade with LA had nothing to do with the CBT aka luxury tax line.
The ownership can't speak publicly without coming off stupid or tone deaf so they release stupid statements that fans know are garbage. They are terrible at PR.

Why is Jackie Bradley Jr. still on this team? 11 million dollars for a good defender and .220 hitter is a waste of 11 millon dollars.
Nathan Eovaldi got 4 years 68 million. Why did the team give him 4 years when he can't stay healthy for 2 years.

That is 28 million right there. The Pedroia contract is an albatross that is eating up 15 million a year for 2 more years.
That is a waste of 43 million.
Chris Sale who broke down the 2 previous years was given a 5 year 150 million dollar contract which was stupid.
JD Martinez has this year at 23 million they could eat some of that contract and traded him and kept Mookie Betts.

Mookie Betts is the player you pay. Not these other guys. The Red Sox management has screwed this up..

Now the Red Sox are making Ron Roeneke the interim manager for the season so they can bring back Alex Cora after his suspension watch.

This organization is so arrogant and out of touch. Red Sox fans who don't have their heads buried in the sand and trust me their are a lot are not happy with this team and management.

It occurs to me that this “new playoff format”
being floated out there by MLB coinciding with players reporting to camp is nothing more than a move by the Commish to distract people from the cheating scandal and give them something else to fight and debate about ...

So Barry taking time on Mike and Mike, et al, for his NCAA picks for 8 years was a good use of his time.

Barry was participating in harmless fun. It made him come across like a normal guy.

Trump is just doing more ranting and whining(all caps...ooooh! He means business!), making himself come off as divisive and annoying.

Barry was participating in harmless fun. It made him come across like a normal guy.

Trump is just doing more ranting and whining(all caps...ooooh! He means business!), making himself come off as divisive and annoying.

The use of the name Barry leads me to believe the OP indeed is free of any bias in this matter

Your first paragraph is spot on. Betts made it clear he wanted to test the FA waters. End. Of. Story.

These new ideas floated by MLB are a pretty basic admission that they need to think outside the box and address the 800 lb gorilla in the room. In your daily life, how often do you come across young folks in the 15-25 (could probably expand this to 10-30) range that are into baseball? Most young folks I encounter have baseball as a very distant 3rd (if they care at all) when it comes to devoting their time to watching the major sports. I can see viewership and attendance continuing to decline as the years roll on. Might not make much sense to ink free agents to massive contracts as you might be choking on those deals in the years to come.

Can’t lie I am loving how pathetic the Red Sox management are looking with this Mookie trade.
Complete clown show. It’s awesome.

Blow Sox.jpg

Voice in the Wilderness:

- I hate cold weather baseball
- By putting more teams in the playoffs you eliminate pennant races and cede August and September to football. people get excited about wild card or worst division races on the last weeked and that's it.
- I totally agree that when you play twice as many games as any other sport and ten times as much as football, you don't need also-rans.
- Baseball is a sport where the term upset is rarely used because it's the sport where the inferior team is most likely to win. Everything is done in rotation: the batting order, the pitching rotation. Even the bench and bullpen have defined roles. You are a different team depending on who is out there. And physical contact has been removed form the game so you can't force the other team to lose. It's way too easy for a team to get hot at the right time and become champion, even though everyone knows they aren't among the best teams.

Add two more teams. Go back to the four division set up with 8 in each division, just like we had 8 in each league from 1901-1960. Then just the league championship and World Series. Have everything on the line in August and September. Just the best teams and get it over with by mid October.

Last edited:
does Pedroia and his contract have no insurance clause?
Sox may insurance on Pedroia’s deal but the salary counts on the payroll for the luxury tax. So they are wasting 15 million dollars a year on a player who isn’t going to give them anything.