2019-20 Baseball offseason | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2019-20 Baseball offseason

UnderThe2020LuxuryTax_BreakingT_shirt.0.jpg

how about Nomar? He was a stud.
Mookie Betts is a HOF talent.
Nomar and Mo Vaughn are Red Sox HOF talent and really good players.
The Red Sox have developed a lot of good players. My point was Mookie was the best of those in a very long time.

Also this deal is being held up because of the Twins prospect.

Betts
Muncy
Turner
Bellinger
Seager
Pollock
Smith
Lux

Buehler
Kershaw
Price
Wood
Urias

With May waiting in the wings.

Let’s start the season right now.

Any chance this whole thing falls through? Sounds like there are medical issues with Graterol.

The other thing that bothers me about this trade is the Verdugo toxicity issues. If one of the reasons the Sox are shipping Price off is his bad attitude, why are we bringing in someone with a worse one?

Mookie Betts is a HOF talent.
Nomar and Mo Vaughn are Red Sox HOF talent and really good players.
The Red Sox have developed a lot of good players. My point was Mookie was the best of those in a very long time.

Also this deal is being held up because of the Twins prospect.

Wouldn't be surprised if Price failed a physical with that elbow.

Any chance this whole thing falls through? Sounds like there are medical issues with Graterol.

The other thing that bothers me about this trade is the Verdugo toxicity issues. If one of the reasons the Sox are shipping Price off is his bad attitude, why are we bringing in someone with a worse one?
Mookie is gone. This will probably get the Dodgers to include Jeter Downs. As they need to move Pederson and Maeta to get under the luxury tax.

Sox should use all their leverage as this deal blows. Verdugo has chitty character and is bad clubhouse guy without showing any remorse.

Last edited:

I’ll snap. The Chris Paul trade falling through was enough for me.

Betts
Muncy
Turner
Bellinger
Seager
Pollock
Smith
Lux

Buehler
Kershaw
Price
Wood
Urias

With May waiting in the wings.

Let’s start the season right now.
i know you have to give up something to get something & you make these deals every time to get a talent like betts . . . but maeda & chicken strip were important glue pieces in that staff. hate to see them go

i know you have to give up something to get something & you make these deals every time to get a talent like betts . . . but maeda & chicken strip were important glue pieces in that staff. hate to see them go

Agreed. There’s still a lot of potential on that staff though, but it’s not as strong, Deep, or experienced as last years on paper. Hoping Urias makes the leap, though I’m sure they’ll manage his innings, so he’s not going to be a workhorse or anything.

Can’t lie I am loving how pathetic the Red Sox management are looking with this Mookie trade.
Complete clown show. It’s awesome.

The President of the USA SHOULDN’t f***ing have time to tweet about Pete Rose.
My god. Also thank you for affirming I am right the guy shouldn’t be off the banned list.

This is so bleeping good. Red Sox ownership is so out of touch and being exposed.
Oh I can’t believe it. The people who fight me on this issue just fight me because I am saying it. Red Sox fans who know the New England area know the Globe has hurt the Red Sox popularity and caused ownership to become extremely disliked.

Seems to me the Dodgers should still be able to get this done, right?

This is more like an NBA situation, teams needing to wheel and deal to duck the tax or the cap or whatever.

Jeter Downs and Conor Wong along with Verdugo.
Red Sox bitching got a better deal.
I hate that.
Nobody should do a deal with this team anymore. Garbage.

Verdugo and Downs, plus a catching prospect, for one year of a guy who was running not walking out the door. This Sox fan calls it a win.

Sox had no leverage and I don't blame them for not wanting to pay Betts a king's ransom with a new deal. Sorry but if I'm an owner I'd have no interest in paying out millions in luxury taxes to subsidize the likes of the Tampa Bay Rays. That's just common sense.

One underreported aspect of the Betts situation is that he (and other stars like him) is under heavy pressure from the MLB Union to maximize his dollars so that the scale just moves higher and higher for all union members. As an owner, who would want to participate in that game? Looking back over time nearly every mega-deal signing has been a deal the signing club regretted.

Sox had no leverage and I don't blame them for not wanting to pay Betts a king's ransom with a new deal. Sorry but if I'm an owner I'd have no interest in paying out millions in luxury taxes to subsidize the likes of the Tampa Bay Rays. That's just common sense.

One underreported aspect of the Betts situation is that he (and other stars like him) is under heavy pressure from the MLB Union to maximize his dollars so that the scale just moves higher and higher for all union members. As an owner, who would want to participate in that game? Looking back over time nearly every mega-deal signing has been a deal the signing club regretted.

He didnt want a new deal. That ridiculous offer that they floated was only after the wheels were turning on a trade and it was still well over $100 mill apart. Time after time the Sox offered him deals and he refused to negotiate.

He did not want to be in Boston long term, period.

He didnt want a new deal. That ridiculous offer that they floated was only after the wheels were turning on a trade and it was still well over $100 mill apart. Time after time the Sox offered him deals and he refused to negotiate.

He did not want to be in Boston long term, period.

That might be the case but my point about the MLB union trumps your point imo. No matter what Boston offered in a new deal, Betts was under max pressure to take it through free agency and extract max dollars via a bidding war.

That might be the case but my point about the MLB union trumps your point imo. No matter what Boston offered in a new deal, Betts was under max pressure to take it through free agency and extract max dollars via a bidding war.

Perhaps. Either way, he wasnt going back to Boston and the Sox did what they needed to.

Perhaps. Either way, he wasnt going back to Boston and the Sox did what they needed to.

Definitely agree with that. No brainer. Not a wonderful outcome but the alternative (getting nothing for him after the 2020 season) was far worse. Pitching will tell the tale anyway.