2019 Coaching Carousel | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Coaching Carousel

Not that uncommon when a coach moves up to a P5 program

What? He's been at Nebraska two years now. These guys start firing their longtime assistants when things don't go well. (see HCDB). His record is 9-15 and and his team a wreck. The same offense and same OC that was electric at UCF.

What? He's been at Nebraska two years now. These guys start firing their longtime assistants when things don't go well. (see HCDB). His record is 9-15 and and his team a wreck. The same offense and same OC that was electric at UCF.

There's a reason why Nebraska's most successful teams ran the triple option... that plays to the talent available. The sooner they accept that, the sooner they can get back to 10-win seasons.

There's a reason why Nebraska's most successful teams ran the triple option... that plays to the talent available. The sooner they accept that, the sooner they can get back to 10-win seasons.
Their great teams were mostly before the roster limit was reduced to 85. They had 105 on scholarship, and another 50 plus/minus Midwestern walk-ons whose dream it was to get bigger and stronger and play for their dream school. I remember Osborne was very loud in his opposition to the roster reduction.

Their great teams were mostly before the roster limit was reduced to 85. They had 105 on scholarship, and another 50 plus/minus Midwestern walk-ons whose dream it was to get bigger and stronger and play for their dream school. I remember Osborne was very loud in his opposition to the roster reduction.

Understood, but I don't think the numbers were that critical to their success. I think the key elements of Tom Osborne's success (which could be replicated today) were:
1) run-oriented offense which controls the clock and put them in lots of 3rd & shorts
2) red-shirting virtually all linemen so they could beef them up.

Understood, but I don't think the numbers were that critical to their success. I think the key elements of Tom Osborne's success (which could be replicated today) were:
1) run-oriented offense which controls the clock and put them in lots of 3rd & shorts
They were also in on weight lifting really early and got a huge edge for a long time based on this. That will never happen again for them.

I think not playing regularly in Texas any longer also has to hurt them. There isn't a ton of talent in Nebraska, especially at the skilled positions and I think they relied heavily on that state to address this.

Looks like they are having a hard time getting top notch skilled guys to come from Texas now. Great fan base and great tradition there but I don't think the move to the B1G was in their long term interest for great football. Looking their best rivalries and recruiting territories is going to be brutal for them to overcome.

They were also in on weight lifting really early and got a huge edge for a long time based on this. That will never happen again for them.

I think not playing regularly in Texas any longer also has to hurt them. There isn't a ton of talent in Nebraska, especially at the skilled positions and I think they relied heavily on that state to address this.

Looks like they are having a hard time getting top notch skilled guys to come from Texas now. Great fan base and great tradition there but I don't think the move to the B1G was in their long term interest for great football. Looking their best rivalries and recruiting territories is going to be brutal for them to overcome.
Who did they play OOC? There were no Texas teams in the Big 8; the Okies and Okie Lite were the furthest south.

IIRC, they recruited fairly nationally for the skill players (although Johnny Rogers was from Omaha) and the OL was corn-fed Nebraska beef that was redshirted to make them even bigger.

Who did they play OOC? There were no Texas teams in the Big 8; the Okies and Okie Lite were the furthest south.

IIRC, they recruited fairly nationally for the skill players (although Johnny Rogers was from Omaha) and the OL was corn-fed Nebraska beef that was redshirted to make them even bigger.
Sorry. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are certainly not in Texas but I think they were close enough and tied to Texas enough to get in roads there.

I know they used to get some skilled players from NJ. One would think it might be easier to get them now playing in a conference with Rutgers in it. But if a kid from Jersey wants to play in a great football environment, they can get it now a lot closer to home and still have a chance to play somewhat close to home a few times at Maryland, Penn State or Ohio State. Even Michigan.

Also, maybe back then, speed was not as important as today?

#2 includes many of those Midwestern corn-fed walk-ons.

And Osborne did say, publically, that the scholarship reduction would severely impact his program.

Someone help me here; which is which?
Methinks Joan is consistent in her order, though I could see how the latter trait could be applied to both.

Sorry. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are certainly not in Texas but I think they were close enough and tied to Texas enough to get in roads there.

I know they used to get some skilled players from NJ. One would think it might be easier to get them now playing in a conference with Rutgers in it. But if a kid from Jersey wants to play in a great football environment, they can get it now a lot closer to home and still have a chance to play somewhat close to home a few times at Maryland, Penn State or Ohio State. Even Michigan.

Also, maybe back then, speed was not as important as today?

I could be misremembering, but it seems like those Tom Osborne Nebraska teams had lots of talent, not from Texas, but from California (along with some from Colorado and Missouri - truly lost rivals). I generally agree that joining the Big Ten was not in their long-term best interests, however.

the neb style would still kill in the b12.. look at OK st having the leading rusher. the b10 beef on the lines hurts them and then they cant find that 1 play maker to get them over the top.. they seem to lose every winnable game now.

I could be misremembering, but it seems like those Tom Osborne Nebraska teams had lots of talent, not from Texas, but from California (along with some from Colorado and Missouri - truly lost rivals). I generally agree that joining the Big Ten was not in their long-term best interests, however.
Yes, the skill players were recruited nationally and then the filled in the rest, primarily the huge OL those national players ran and threw behind, with walk-ons and kids recruited in Nebraska. For example, Jerry Tagge and Scott Frost were QBs originally from Nebraska, but Turner Gill was from TX. There were also allegations of steroid use for the OL, as well as the extensive use of redshirts and their lifting program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom