2019 Coaching Carousel | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Coaching Carousel

Even if the new signees were released, they’d have nowhere to go as most schools have filled their allotment. In these situations it might be worth allowing them to enter next year’s portal without having to sit out a year. That way they could assess the incoming coaching staff (play no more than 4games) and not lose any eligibility.
That makes a ton of sense

Even if the new signees were released, they’d have nowhere to go as most schools have filled their allotment. In these situations it might be worth allowing them to enter next year’s portal without having to sit out a year. That way they could assess the incoming coaching staff (play no more than 4 games) and not lose any eligibility.
1581540311334.png

Cool video of Chris Fowler venting about Tucker's move to MSU.

Relevant article

Last edited:
That might be a worse job than Rutgers and I can’t believe I wrote that. Nobody wanted that job. They just needed a body at this point.

Kind of bittersweet as we did see improvement in some areas, whereas his specialty of defense actually got worse. Apparently we tried to counter but his agent shut down any negotiations. I am glad the counter offer was not met, no way a 5-7 coach is worth that much until they have proven themselves. The only thing I dislike is the time of the offseason. Hard to find a viable candidate, but hey at the same time there is no competition for a hire either I guess.

Kind of bittersweet as we did see improvement in some areas, whereas his specialty of defense actually got worse. Apparently we tried to counter but his agent shut down any negotiations. I am glad the counter offer was not met, no way a 5-7 coach is worth that much until they have proven themselves. The only thing I dislike is the time of the offseason. Hard to find a viable candidate, but hey at the same time there is no competition for a hire either I guess.

Go get Fickell from Cincy, that ought to stick it to the Spartans.

If I could trade Mel Tucker for Eric Bieniemy, I'd do it in a second, especially if I was a long-time fan of the program.

Report: Colorado reaches out to Eric Bieniemy

Vic So'oto UVa's DL coach and great recruiter 99.9% gone to Southern Cal. Official announcement due soon. Our board is puzzled why he would go there because Helton has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Late edit: His departure is now confirmed.

Last edited:
If I could trade Mel Tucker for Eric Bieniemy, I'd do it in a second, especially if I was a long-time fan of the program.

As a Chiefs fan I hop Bieniemy stays right where he is at.
But I also understand that he has been passed over for NFL jobs right and left for no good reason.
Maybe he sees this as an opportunity to show what he’s got.
I mean Marrone left a cushy job as the Saints OC to be our coach. So you never know.

Bieinemy is definitely a favorite, if not THE favorite. When he was OC in 2011-2012 under Embree it was a disaster and neither of them were head coach or coordinator material at the time, that staff was essentially forced on the AD by donors. How much of that ugly situation stays in his head? Sounds like he has matured a lot under Reid, but that also leaves many to wonder how much of the offense was really due in part to Bieniemy. The other fear is that he bolts after 1 or 2 years if the NFL comes calling with a head coaching opportunity.

Bieinemy is definitely a favorite, if not THE favorite. When he was OC in 2011-2012 under Embree it was a disaster and neither of them were head coach or coordinator material at the time, that staff was essentially forced on the AD by donors. How much of that ugly situation stays in his head? Sounds like he has matured a lot under Reid, but that also leaves many to wonder how much of the offense was really due in part to Bieniemy. The other fear is that he bolts after 1 or 2 years if the NFL comes calling with a head coaching opportunity.

Andy Reid has always made it a priority to prepare coaches to advance in their careers. Ron Rivera, John Harbaugh, Doug Pederson, a bleepload of others. Bienemy is more than ready for an HC job. Yes, he may end up being a short-termer at Colorado before some NFL team wises up, but I think he'd be a damn great short-termer.

These guys got totally screwed over. Not many, if any (CO?) positions available at this late date.

Dave Warner is a Syracuse alum. I feel badly for him.

Tressel is highly regarded and I would guess he will at least get a job as an analyst at one of the factories. There were big issues with the Spartan offense but not with the defense.

Sparty accepted pretty much anyone regardless of their issues. It caught up to them.

Vic So'oto UVa's DL coach and great recruiter 99.9% gone to Southern Cal. Official announcement due soon. Our board is puzzled why he would go there because Helton has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Late edit: His departure is now confirmed.
UVa hired alum Clint Sintim as the new DL coach. He had been the LB and DE coach at Delaware.

UVa hired alum Clint Sintim as the new DL coach. He had been the LB and DE coach at Delaware.
Surprising that Vic would go to USC given Helton’s status. I would think they are hurting for money now too. The PAC-12 is not rolling in dough these days.

Fascinating battle between UK and Michigan State over Vince Morrow, a fine recruiter who has played a key role in making Kentucky relevant in college football. This is a war fueled by the incredible money the B1G and SEC are making. For now, it looks like Kentucky is going to win. But they are destroying their budget for coaching salaries to do so.

We SU fans saw what SEC money can do when we lost our DC after a couple of weeks when Mississippi State threw big dollars at him. We were willing to make those dollars, still couldn’t keep him. We were fortunate to get someone we think is better but there is a war for coaching resources going on right now and ACC schools need to step up with cash if they want to stay competitive with our cash flush rivals.

Surprising that Vic would go to USC given Helton’s status. I would think they are hurting for money now too. The PAC-12 is not rolling in dough these days.

Fascinating battle between UK and Michigan State over Vince Morrow, a fine recruiter who has played a key role in making Kentucky relevant in college football. This is a war fueled by the incredible money the B1G and SEC are making. For now, it looks like Kentucky is going to win. But they are destroying their budget for coaching salaries to do so.

We SU fans saw what SEC money can do when we lost our DC after a couple of weeks when Mississippi State threw big dollars at him. We were willing to make those dollars, still couldn’t keep him. We were fortunate to get someone we think is better but there is a war for coaching resources going on right now and ACC schools need to step up with cash if they want to stay competitive with our cash flush rivals.

Im not sure there is a strong correlation between assistant pay scale and overall performance. Throw out the ridiculous and the geographically blessed schools and its a crap shoot. I like the changes Dino has made and im sure they come with a significant increase. Still i think that 600- 1m is enough to hire strong OC/DC talent.

Im not sure there is a strong correlation between assistant pay scale and overall performance. Throw out the ridiculous and the geographically blessed schools and its a crap shoot. I like the changes Dino has made and im sure they come with a significant increase. Still i think that 600- 1m is enough to hire strong OC/DC talent.
There are exceptions but the schools that pay the most for their assistant coaches tend to win the most games.. I don’t see a lot of struggling programs on the list attached. I do see a lot of top 10 programs.

You can argue whether this is causal or not but I think it is safe to say the schools that hire the assistants most in demand do better than the schools who lose those hiring battles (or aren’t even involved in them), and end up hiring coaches many schools are not interested in.

Said another way, if you want good people, you are going to have to be pay for them. You might be able to save some money early by identifying great coaches when they are really young, but you have to pay to have quality coaches.

There are exceptions but the schools that pay the most for their assistant coaches tend to win the most games.. I don’t see a lot of struggling programs on the list attached. I do see a lot of top 10 programs.

You can argue whether this is causal or not but I think it is safe to say the schools that hire the assistants most in demand do better than the schools who lose those hiring battles (or aren’t even involved in them), and end up hiring coaches many schools are not interested in.

Said another way, if you want good people, you are going to have to be pay for them. You might be able to save some money early by identifying great coaches when they are really young, but you have to pay to have quality coaches.

It would probably be an interesting study to define when and how to pay the larger salaries. Generally, you get better coaching by paying more, but at what point do the lines of supply and demand cross and the result of higher pay become a diminishing return? Venables at Clemson is clearly worth it because he is a great DC and offers a lot more than just coaching; i.e. stability, recruiting, development of younger coaches. Whereas just paying a good to very good coordinator or assistant coach big bucks because you can does not always translate to the top tier.

Obviously, this is anecdotal, but where would VATech have been without Bud Foster as DC for all those years?* Sure, they could have scored another DC that might have been as good or better, but who would have gone to VATech in Beamers' early years to transition VATech to a perennial winner. While Saban has gone through a lot of coaches because they move up and out and this is likely to have cost Alabama a few wins because of a lack of stability. We know Saban is worth the money and many of his coaches were, too. But will a Mississippi State gain enough talent and wins to make a significant difference? Serious question, will they stop Alabama, LSU and TAMU annually? Most of the staff that Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Dabo Swinney are good coaches, but they still have misfires, too. (See Meyer's staff: Ash and Schiano)

Lane Kiffin got paid lots of money, but was he worth it?

How do other factors affect the numbers. Let's be honest, several schools play weak OOC schedules, some conferences are tougher than others, sometimes the divisions are heavily lopsided. This could be a cool study by one of our own syracusefan.com researchers.

* Yes, I trash VATech for their paper tiger scheduling (which was only superseded by Schiano's scheduling), but Bud's defenses were generally very good at worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom