2019 Depth Chart - Offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Depth Chart - Offense

When Okechukwu signed his HS coach (old CBA coach) said he could easily play DE or gain the 30-40lbs and be a monster at DT. Could be he's showing quality in the latter situation.

I enjoyed the jokes, but Can someone chime in on why they were practicing snapping a deflated ball for real? I’m curious. Any board coaches seen this before?

Ruff was never a LB and he and Slayton both came in heavier. Slayton came in at 260. Ruff about 255. Black is more the exception and I don’t think it’s common at all for kids that light (240). Black is still only 272. We need DTs to be plus 290 to hold up in there over a season.

Then move seems very speculative and it’s turning into fact without any actual information. We need Ends after Robinson/Coleman so let’s move the 240# UA All American inside? Does that make sense?
I find it hard to believe that someone with Okechukwu's talent won't get rotated in at DE. At 240-250, he seems much better suited there than at DT.

But Richards is an even bigger mystery. Not only does he have a high motor and stunning field speed, he has the size to play off blocks and get into the backfield. Someone needs to explain to me why he's not getting a looooong look at MLB - a position of huge need next season where he could dominate. We already have 4 DE's ... we need someone to fill the gaping hole at MLB next to Shy Cullen.

Last edited:
I would consider Moe to be more "explosive" or "able to find the hole" than a pure power guy who can get you a tough yard. I consider him more of a first or second down back, and you can throw to him in the flat.

But on third or fourth down, I'd prefer Adams (already!). Jarveon Howard has not impressed me at the goal line. They tried to build him up over the season, but I didn't find myself convinced that he would score when he got a carry inside the 5 yard line.

I absolutely love the new kid Jawhar Jordan. Some people say, red shirt him so he can build up his body, but boy, I haven't seen anybody on our team who can cut like that. That kid could be an amazing change of pace back. Imagine his speed against a tired defense!

Voice from the Wilderness of Time:

I still say that it's better to have two running backs so you can have versatility and the defense doesn't know which one will get the ball, you can fake to one and give it to the other, have the bigger one run between the tackles and the faster one run to the outside, etc. With one back, you have to turn the QB into a runner, (Dungey was basically our fullback), and Dino prefers his QB concentrate on passing the ball. Back in the day, the colts had Alan Ameche and Lenny Moore, who was also a great pass receiver, then Ray Berry and Jimmy Orr as wide-outs and a tight end. I think you could run anything we see today with that line-up and run the ball much more effectively. You could still go to a modern line-up with one back and a slot guy if you wanted on third down. (The Colts didn't even have to change personnel as Moore could become a wide receiver.)

Put Adams and Neal in the game at the same time with Harris and Jackson to the outside. Bring in Johnson for Adams or Neal on third down. Have DeVito running the show and passing to them.

1546447335337.png

Voice from the Wilderness of Time:

I still say that it's better to have two running backs so you can have versatility and the defense doesn't know which one will get the ball, you can fake to one and give it to the other, have the bigger one run between the tackles and the faster one run to the outside, etc. With one back, you have to turn the QB into a runner, (Dungey was basically our fullback), and Dino prefers his QB concentrate on passing the ball. Back in the day, the colts had Alan Ameche and Lenny Moore, who was also a great pass receiver, then Ray Berry and Jimmy Orr as wide-outs and a tight end. I think you could run anything we see today with that line-up and run the ball much more effectively. You could still go to a modern line-up with one back and a slot guy if you wanted on third down. (The Colts didn't even have to change personnel as Moore could become a wide receiver.)

Put Adams and Neal in the game at the same time with Harris and Jackson to the outside. Bring in Johnson for Adams or Neal on third down. Have DeVito running the show and passing to them.

View attachment 148950

I agree with you, SWC, which is not surprising, because we are close to the same age and have similar fan experiences/backgrounds. I, too, miss the days of 2 running backs in the formation, at least once in a while, for the reasons you discuss - having a power back and a breakaway threat on the field at the same time makes you less predictable to the defense.

Of course, that requires a different sort of line play than you often see these days. Much more of today's offensive line play is based on pass protection rather than old-fashioned, but technically demanding run blocking schemes with interior line pulls, traps, counters, etc. That was the stuff that DeLeone excelled at, actually. We churned out 1,000 yard rushers year after year after year. But today's football has changed.