2019 Fall Ball ... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Fall Ball ...

The SU offense next will have some very good pieces to work with in 2020. I am interested in seeing how those pieces fit together. For Scanlan, I don't think it is unfair to expect the same output he had last year. I know he is losing Pat Spencer has a distributor, but moving down to attack and being a year older should help him.

In an article about Loyola, his old coach seemed to minimize the loss of Scanlan by saying “With Chase, you had a very talented player who really scored a lot of goals that were created out of the two-man game with Pat,” Toomey said. “I don’t know if we’re built to play like that, anyway." Now, SU didn't play a lot of pick and roll the last few years, but it is something that the new OC is supposed to employ. Over the last two scrimmages has anyone seen it?

I am also no Pat Toomey but I think Scanlan is more than just a pick and roll player. And while there is certainly no Pat Spencer on this SU team, I think between the play-making abilities of Rhefuss and Curry, I think they can open up Scanlan (and others) for plenty of easy looks at the goal. I am hoping that Curry could become a version of senior year JoJo Marasco and be a distributor from the midfield. Maybe Rhefuss can put up 30+ assists and Curry could add another 25+? I don't think that's inconceivable.

The rest of the offense is rounded out by guys who are primarily dodgers, but Lipka and Trimboli are capable passers who make smart decisions. I would like to see Dordevic and Buttermore's assist totals rise, but sometimes you need guys who aren't afraid to shoot and really go at the goal. If the offense is humming, but it doesn't look like Scanlan is putting up big numbers, I think fans can rest easy knowing he is taking attention away from others. The good thing about this offense is I think the sixth option on the field doesn't have that big of a drop off from the first option on the field. But they have to find a way that will maximize all their talents.

Anyways, here is the article about Loyola I mentioned above -
I agree with you. I think there are plenty of playmakers on the team. I'm not worried about Scanlan. Opposing defenses are gonna have a hard time defending all the different options Syracuse has. It would be nice if Scanlan develops some chemistry with guys, particularly some of the better passers, like Rehfuss and Curry. If I were Griffin Cook, I would practice with Scanlan as much as possible and develop some chemistry. Same with Seebold.

I agree with you. I think there are plenty of playmakers on the team. I'm not worried about Scanlan. Opposing defenses are gonna have a hard time defending all the different options Syracuse has. It would be nice if Scanlan develops some chemistry with guys, particularly some of the better passers, like Rehfuss and Curry. If I were Griffin Cook, I would practice with Scanlan as much as possible and develop some chemistry. Same with Seebold.
Chemistry be there as Scanlan has that innate 'feel' for reading and positioning and is also a capable and willing passer. 0 doesn't need a ball dominant player, more dodging ability this year at both attack and midfield but ball movement remains key to this offense.. Berkman intrigues, good vision and mobility with strength that plays through contact, has ability just needed a year of adapting to level of play

Chemistry be there as Scanlan has that innate 'feel' for reading and positioning and is also a capable and willing passer. 0 doesn't need a ball dominant player, more dodging ability this year at both attack and midfield but ball movement remains key to this offense.. Berkman intrigues, good vision and mobility with strength that plays through contact, has ability just needed a year of adapting to level of play

What does "0" mean?

Kinda funny moment during the intra-squad - a bunch of players on the White team were zealously yelling out "zero" (can't remember if they were in possession or on defense) and Coach Rogers basically yelled at them to "shut up" because they were wrong, in an annoyed manner.

What does "0" mean?

Kinda funny moment during the intra-squad - a bunch of players on the White team were zealously yelling out "zero" (can't remember if they were in possession or on defense) and Coach Rogers basically yelled at them to "shut up" because they were wrong, in an annoyed manner.
I think ivorytower means O as in Offense. Defense might yell "zero" to call out that the offense has zero players on the crease. That can change where a defense slides from, because it's usually from the crease. It is kinda weird that the defense would be yelling that and somehow wrong? Maybe someone from the offense was toying with them a little bit by moving in and out of the crease to make it seem like there was nobody there.

O-ffense .Prefer alumni vs current team but intrasquad was entertaining and entire roster got run .Differing approaches to game so glad game finished with no injuries. One mid field collision could have been ugly but check made by big was thankfully held up.

Dordevic played alot and looked great. Some nice dodges along with some behind the back shots off catches on the move that just missed . Trimboli with a left hand rocket and Curry with laser off sweep right were other 1st line highlights. Some rotation players at positions of depth played sparingly which afforded others good looks.. Cook aggressive again and Seebold , Berkman, Aburn, Nelson were all bright. Scanlan? Please, he's proven and has already proven he fits . His ride was a highlight in itself. Damni showed off wheels coming down pike at game end as did Fernandez earlier on grab and go down middle. Garlow is legit 3rd fogo.

Split squad with not much numbers or experience on D so some miscommunication wouldn't surprise . O appeared ahead of D which is usual in exhibitions.A few breakaway goals off m/f turnovers where backline was up too high. Easily correctable. Goalies face alot of shots, Strang showed what a good goalie he is and Klan could start for another, a hard shot put him down for several min but eventually got up and ok. CD Murphy and DiPietro split to even squads which watered down some. Helmer played both up and down with pole. CD Hull returned to field but JKennedy and Staats still in jumpsuits as is Barlow who is needed back. O players aggressive and willing to challenge poles other than Kennedy who clearly gets avoided. Soph mids bring good size to field . PFiorini did not get on register but clearly more aggressive .Kim with split and rip. Newcomers are good group of athletes who can be developed nicely. Rosa headlined and Aviles caught eye while all others showed potential.

Looking forward to season

Is anyone going to the Lehigh scrimmage tomorrow? Should be a good match up. Curious to hear if some sort of defensive rotation is more settled, and if any midfielder makes a case for that last spot on the second line?
I think the defense sounds like it will be Mellen, Murphy and DiPeitro? Staats being out complicates things and they could still move Helmer down. As for that "sixth" midfielder I'd guess its between Magnan and Quinn, but there are plenty of others in the running as well.

Is anyone going to the Lehigh scrimmage tomorrow? Should be a good match up. Curious to hear if some sort of defensive rotation is more settled, and if any midfielder makes a case for that last spot on the second line?
I think the defense sounds like it will be Mellen, Murphy and DiPeitro? Staats being out complicates things and they could still move Helmer down. As for that "sixth" midfielder I'd guess its between Magnan and Quinn, but there are plenty of others in the running as well.

Sorry.

I have a 3:30 PM ass kicking scheduled from FSU at that time.

Yes, I plan on going (no ass kissing meetings scheduled for me), will give you my thoughts about how it all went.

Big time apologies, fellas, a little family emergency (nothing major, hockey boy now has a broken arm) kept me from making it to the scrimmage so no report from me. Hopefully we'll get something from someone. Bummed about missing this one, perfect day for it too.

Lehighs goalie had stood on his head. However offense has been really sloppy. Defense seems to be ball watching a little too much.

Cook is in sweats. Kennedy isn’t here

Big time apologies, fellas, a little family emergency (nothing major, hockey boy now has a broken arm) kept me from making it to the scrimmage so no report from me. Hopefully we'll get something from someone. Bummed about missing this one, perfect day for it too.
No worries, hope hockey boy heals quickly.

No worries, hope hockey boy heals quickly.
Thanks, 87, pretty clean break and the young heal pretty quickly. Got three boys, all ball players. Would like to say this is the first injury but that's sure not the case.

Damn, fall ball and all but that's not quite what you'd like to hear. Who, other than Scanlan, scored for Cuse?
It was an ugly game for sure. Seemed a lot like last years Colgate game where we came out flat and they came out ready to play. I think it’s important to note that Cook and Betkman were in sweats which gave Nelson a ton of playing time. however we did start out with Scanlan, Seebold, and Rehfuss.

Lehighs packed in Defense Made us look silly at times. We had multiple shot clock violations. When we did shoot most of the shots looked forced. We also had a lot of unforced TOs.

Trimboli had the first 2 goals. I know Lipka, Nelson, Fiorini and DiPietro all scored. Not sure who scored the other 2. However we did have our chances throughout the game.

Tucker is absolutely amazing and had one of the best GBs I’ve ever seen. He will need to look for the assist a little more if we are going to be successful this year. Pretty sure Curry was also shut out in today’s game.

Trimboli scored I saw the goal on Facebook but can’t share it!

It was an ugly game for sure. Seemed a lot like last years Colgate game where we came out flat and they came out ready to play. I think it’s important to note that Cook and Betkman were in sweats which gave Nelson a ton of playing time. however we did start out with Scanlan, Seebold, and Rehfuss.

Lehighs packed in Defense Made us look silly at times. We had multiple shot clock violations. When we did shoot most of the shots looked forced. We also had a lot of unforced TOs.

Trimboli had the first 2 goals. I know Lipka, Nelson, Fiorini and DiPietro all scored. Not sure who scored the other 2. However we did have our chances throughout the game.

Tucker is absolutely amazing and had one of the best GBs I’ve ever seen. He will need to look for the assist a little more if we are going to be successful this year. Pretty sure Curry was also shut out in today’s game.
Thanks much! Yes, Tucker is going to have to pass the ball a little more, I made that same comment after the intra squad scrimmage. He's a force and I think his stick and shots are better than before the injury (L. Thompson became a pretty good one handed player because of the broken arm he had, it looks to me as if TD worked on that stick quite a bit while he was basically immobile), but being too selfish isn't a good thing. Had some pieces missing today for sure, that's the good news. Buttermore maybe scored one of the two unaccounted for?

7E8D9E5D-6DF1-4DFD-BC2F-D9B9D90A4996.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom