2019 MLB Playoffs thread | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2019 MLB Playoffs thread

Altuve did the same thing in the 4th inning but the call wasn't made.

So Altuve wasn't called out because Rendon didn't make a crappy throw like the Houston pitcher did.

Last edited:
That call just seemed to rile up the Nats. :)

Altuve did the same thing in the 4th inning but the call wasn't made.

So Altuve wasn't called out because Rendon didn't make a crappy throw like the Houston pitcher did.

you're supposed to run in the box until you must veer back to touch the bag. if the ball hits you and you were never in the runner's alley, you're out.

if the ball hit altuve, he'd have been out too. but it didn't so he wasn't. stupid rule. but applied correctly.

you're supposed to run in the box until you must veer back to touch the bag. if the ball hits you and you were never in the runner's alley, you're out.

if the ball hit altuve, he'd have been out too. but it didn't so he wasn't. stupid rule. but applied correctly.
Same play happened last year in the World Series and the umpires didn’t call the Dodgers base runner out.

I'm generally favorable to umpires and the rules of baseball, esp compared to football and college hoop. But these last two games aren't putting the men in blue in a great light.

Sunday between innings Robles threw his equipment between innings (he has a lot), one by one at Breckman. Breckman just looked like a guilty party watching it land at his feet. Last night those guys needed to walk away.

That wasn't the correct call. The Houston pitcher threw a bad throw to first base. Turner didn't do anything wrong. The umpire called him for interfering with the first baseman when he didn't do anything to interfere. He was running in the baseline.

That call was terrible. If the pitcher threw a good throw the ball could have picked. It wasn't Turner's fault at all.
I loved the commentator too trying to work in that pitchers are taught to do that. May be true but that was not the intent last night. guy got rewarded for making a p--s poor throw.

I loved the commentator too trying to work in that pitchers are taught to do that. May be true but that was not the intent last night. guy got rewarded for making a p--s poor throw.
Best part was Joe Torre said the reason Turner was called out for interfering with Gurrel.
There was literally nowhere Turner could run legally and that throw doesn’t get in the way.
It was so dumb.
It couldn’t be overturned because it’s a judgement call.

Turner wasn’t called out for being out of the baseline. Torre said so in an interview with Ken Rosenthal.

Best part was Joe Torre said the reason Turner was called out for interfering with Gurrel.
There was literally nowhere Turner could run legally and that throw doesn’t get in the way.
It was so dumb.
It couldn’t be overturned because it’s a judgement call.

Turner wasn’t called out for being out of the baseline. Torre said so in an interview with Ken Rosenthal.

Torre had to defend his guy but he wasn't exactly convincing.

people the rule is more complex than just where he stepped.. the path to first is clearly defined as outside the baseline for the last half of the play. the ball doesnt have to hit anything to have interference.. and yes anyone has every played pitcher or catcher should have been trained to drill the runner on that play but that was a rushed throw and not intentional i wouldnt think

the throw could have gone 5 ft over the 1st basemens head and still gotten the call just because at the time the throw was made he was clearly outside his lane. if that call isnt made houston coach gets thrown out and dont think Wash coach wouldnt have complained had his team been in the field when that play happened that way.

people the rule is more complex than just where he stepped.. the path to first is clearly defined as outside the baseline for the last half of the play. the ball doesnt have to hit anything to have interference.. and yes anyone has every played pitcher or catcher should have been trained to drill the runner on that play but that was a rushed throw and not intentional i wouldnt think

the throw could have gone 5 ft over the 1st basemens head and still gotten the call just because at the time the throw was made he was clearly outside his lane. if that call isnt made houston coach gets thrown out and dont think Wash coach wouldnt have complained had his team been in the field when that play happened that way.

That wasn't the call. The Athletic did a rundown on what Torre said, and the call was impeding the catch.

And for the record I don't believe everything after would've stayed the same had it been 2nd and 3rd with one out so I am fine with Rendon hitting a 2 run jack.

That wasn't the call. The Athletic did a rundown on what Torre said, and the call was impeding the catch.

yeah Torre is an idiot on most things rules related.. he boiled it down to the catch part.. Since the runner didnt run in the proper lane he loses the benifit of the doubt as to whether the last step to the bad is legal. had the runner run where he should the ump likely calls it differently.

With as much hype as this play has gotten , one would think the Nats lost .. the play was of no consequence to the outcome

That inning is on Hinch. They’re hitting Scherzer hard and he sac bunts in the 2nd inning.

Shaking head.

Its beautiful watching someone in complete control of a game, with this much pressure, as Greinke is right now. Im rooting for the Nats but he’s one of the old pitchers from my childhood still killing it

Nats should have started warming up Corbin at least 2 batters earlier -- not that it would have avoided the 2nd run,,, but if there is any more after this second run it is all on Martinez (terrible anticipation)

Nats should have started warming up Corbin at least 2 batters earlier -- not that it would have avoided the 2nd run,,, but if there is any more after this second run it is all on Martinez (terrible anticipation)

I would have Corbin start an inning. Not a big fan of bringing starters in mid inning with people on base. Use an actual reliever for that.

Its beautiful watching someone in complete control of a game, with this much pressure, as Greinke is right now. Im rooting for the Nats but he’s one of the old pitchers from my childhood still killing it
I always forget that you're still pretty darn young.

I was just about to post whether Greinke was having the best Game 7 start (before the homer), since Jack Morris in 1991? I am sure there have been, but nothing comes to my mind.

It's amusing how you remember things so easily from young teens, but ask me what happened in the playoffs the last 10 years and I generally draw a blacnk.

I was just about to post whether Greinke was having the best Game 7 start (before the homer), since Jack Morris in 1991? I am sure there have been, but nothing comes to my mind.

It's amusing how you remember things so easily from young teens, but ask me what happened in the playoffs the last 10 years and I generally draw a blacnk.

I think Jack Morris pitched 14 innings in that game 7 battle against Smoltz.

Schilling and Clemens in 2001 both dealt tremendous starts.