2019 MLB Playoffs thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2019 MLB Playoffs thread

When I followed baseball more closely I knew the manager of every team.
Watching this Cards-Braves you could have offered me an insane amount money and I couldn’t tell you who this guy managing the Cardinals is.

The sport is becoming regional.

Watching this Cards-Braves you could have offered me an insane amount money and I couldn’t tell you who this guy managing the Cardinals is.

Nah, you’re getting older. There was a time when I could name every starting position player on every team. Who has time to keep up with this anymore?

Shildt should win Manager of the Year. Was never a player. He won titles at A and AA, and the AAA team won a title the season after he was promoted to the MLB club. Great story.

They’re mostly bland. The big character brains and savvy guys are gone.

They’re mostly bland. The big character brains and savvy guys are gone.
The ‘new’ managers of baseball...

1570162395053.jpeg

Tony LaRussa vs. Bobby Cox?

I saw a stat the other day that said Dave Roberts is like the 2nd or 3rd longest tenured manager in the national league and to me it seems like he just started.

Nah, you’re getting older. There was a time when I could name every starting position player on every team. Who has time to keep up with this anymore?

Shildt should win Manager of the Year. Was never a player. He won titles at A and AA, and the AAA team won a title the season after he was promoted to the MLB club. Great story.

Same!

When I was a kid I played video games, collected baseball cards, read sports magazines, watched Sportscenter every day, watched whatever games were on, and studied the box scores...in particular the Sunday edition that had all the stats in it. I knew everybody.

Now, beyond the Dodgers and the teams they clash with in the big games every fall and the regular season games that come on when I’m awake, i know who yahoo suggests that I draft in fantasy. That’s it.

Last edited:
Ronald Acuna Jr- you have all the talent in the world. But doggone it, you only get 4 or 5 ABs each night. It's not asking too much to make the most of them. 90 feet makes a big difference especially in the playoffs. Yes other things cost the Braves, but lack of hustle is one of this Braves fans biggest pet peeves in sports.

Changes I would make in baseball regular season if I were commissioner.

I would get rid of divisions.
Have a 15 team American League.
15 team National League.

You play all 14 teams in your league a minimum of 8 times. 112 games.

You play 20 games against Interleague opponents. 4 of those games would be with your designated rival. 132 games.

The remaining 30 games would be 5- 3 game home series, 5- 3 game road series randomly with the teams in your league.

Then the playoffs would be 6 teams from each league.
1 and 2 seeds would get byes
3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 1 home game playoffs.

1 seed gets the lowest remaining team.
2 seed gets the highest remaining team.
Best of 5.

LCS and WS best of 7.

The regular season needs to matter more. Divisions aren’t balanced.

Listening to Joe Girardi's descriptive running dialog is SO much better that ARod's normative codswoddle.

Verlander is a monster.

His 2014 season has to be one of the biggest anomalies in baseball history.

Reporting back late but I had quite an experience at the Wild Card game Wednesday. Took the BART into Oakland Coliseum, the crowd management on the train was decent there but it took about 30 minutes to get into the game. Attendance was 54,000. I had purchased my tickets directly from the A's website but found a man with his kid in my seat when I got to the game. He had been sold fakes off of Vividseats but insisted that I had the fakes. I told security about the situation but they said their hands were tied since both of our tickets scanned. It took 3 innings to get an "official" event representative to closely examine the barcodes. I was finally able to sit in my seats in the 5th inning after watching the previous innings from the space in the tunnel. By then, the game was 5-1... The game was completely sold out except for some seats on "Mount Davis" (the large bleacher way out in the outfield) the nosebleeds of all nosebleeds so I was not about to go find other seats. Anyways, the A's atmosphere is pretty cool, people are allowed to bring in drums and horns so there's a number of crazy characters there. Leaving the game was a disaster- here's a pic of everyone trying to get on BART after the game.
9tg2bq22geq31.jpg

Tony LaRussa vs. Bobby Cox?

I saw a stat the other day that said Dave Roberts is like the 2nd or 3rd longest tenured manager in the national league and to me it seems like he just started.
Counsell’s the longest. Seems like he was still playing not long ago.

Bob Costas really is annoying when you listen to all his fun facts and lack of actual play by play.
Hey Bob just call the game please.

Bob Costas really is annoying when you listen to all his fun facts and lack of actual play by play.
Hey Bob just call the game please.
Blasphemy.

given his historic regular season dominance, is it fair to say clayton kershaw is the most unclutch pitcher in history?

Smoltz Ignoring Costas complaints about baseball was highly amusing.
My god Bob shut up. It’s sports.

Smoltz Ignoring Costas complaints about baseball was highly amusing.
My god Bob shut up. It’s sports.
It’s ridiculous... it’s one thing to have the convo during a regular season game but during an electric atmosphere in Yankee Stadium for a playoff game he just comes off like a sanctimonious pr!ck.

The strategy of walking the tying run intentionally is terrible..

Before a home run only tied the game.

Now a home run beats you, but more importantly a double ties you. Just plain stupid stuff unless the hitter was Barroid Bonds circa 2000.

The above being said Washington still wins. I think this one will go 5. (not the most bold of calls)